Sign in to follow this  
Tim

sickle bar mower

Tim

just got a 50" sickle bar mower

I would like to use this with the normal PTO pulley?

can this be done, if so do you put a larger pulley on the mower gearbox

has anybody else done this

thanks in advance

Nathanielperz

You want to sell that sickle mower tim?

If not can yoy tell me where the best place to find them are?

Tim

anybody?

Bueller?

Bueller?

post-2536-0-83148800-1392330631.jpg

Edited by Tim

Tim

I guess it can't be done

anybody have the correct pulley needed to run a sickle bar mower off a C120 or a 314 (K-series)?

sorekiwi

Years ago RickV posted a picture of (I think) a Raider mounted with a sickle bar mower.  You might be able to find it with a search.

I remember wondering how it would work with the big PTO pulley.  I have a sickle mower mounted on a 502 that drives off the little 2 1/2" pulley.  Even at that speed the mower vibrates bad enough to loosen your fillings.  I've always used that mower at about 1/2 throttle, part of the problem with my tractor is getting the ground speed low enough (it is the 3 speed), but above about 1/2 throttle the vibration from the mower is horrible.

You haven't said what tractor you are trying to mount it on, have you thought about switching out the engine pulley and just using the foot controlled engage/disengage that comes with the mower?  These mowers aren't exactly quick to install anyway, switching out the pulley as well probably wouldn't add too much time to the process.

IMG_3724.jpg

AMC RULES

Probably the reason, once they get mounted up...they stay that way.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

Probably the reason, once they get mounted up...they stay that way.

Yup I've only mounted mine once.  Never taken it off.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

Found the pics of Ricks machine: 

Tim

thanks

I'm thinking of either putting it on a C120 or a 314-8

I think it will be a dedicated thing, not sure yet

I was  hoping not to change out pulleys only because of aesthetics

they don't look complete without the PTO in my mind gotta do it I guess

I have a c120 doing nothing and a 314 that I only plow with. 

I have a shot at a 520HC with a lot of stuff for a good price that I will probably jump on in the spring so I will be selling stuff. 

this is why I don't know what machine yet as I have not decided what I will get rid of

the 520 will come with a

bervac two stage snow blower

Snow cab

a 48 deck (don't remember)

trac vac  leaf vacuum (with the chipper)

kind of excited, it was my friends and when he moved to Fla. he asked me if I wanted it

asked way more than I would pay

now his son is selling it as it is too big for his property

c-series don

Just mounted a 7-1311 to a c-121 8 speed. This was definetly not a tach-a-matic implement ! I hoped this unit would just bolt up, hook up the belt and I would be done, not quite. I had to remove the drive pulley on the jack shaft and replace it with an offset double pulley to get the belt to line up with the outer pulley on the engine. After looking at Grainger, McMaster-Car, etc i found the one I needed in my neighbors basement! He's got stuff if you know what I mean! Next I removed the idler pulley and the shaft the pedal pivots on. Replaced that with a longer shaft to get the idler pulley out far enough and now have that spring loaded for tension and use the tractor pto engage/disengage. Then I had to bend / adjust the lift bar to make it work. Now I am worried that the outside pulley is not small enough and may cause it to run too fast. The offset pulley I put on the bottom shaft is a half inch bigger then the factory one so probably won't make a huge difference. Has anyone else mounted one of these on a C-series or 3,4,500 Series? Funny thing is I just went through all this and don't have a damn thing to sickle bar mow !!!

• Like 1