Robins

Kohler charging system voltage.

Robins

Hi All, 

Been having some battery trouble recently, seems to be fine starting but then go out to the shed one day and wont start. Battery is about a year old, and holds a charge on the bench, just wondering what the voltage output from the Kohler charging system should read when the engine is running?

I know a car alternator should produce 13.6 - 15 volts. Im getting 12.2v, but then the battery was reading that before i started the engine, so is it im getting the same 12.2v because there is no charging, or is that what the output is normally?

cheers, Daniel

Anglo Traction

Hi Daniel,

Not sure if you have the original Engine in your Electro 12. Should be a 15 AMP Stator?. 

If you don't have a copy, Download the Kohler Service Manual for the 'K' series Engines, there is a full diagnosis and troubleshoot 'walk through'  of the system(s) in Section 8.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/674-engine-kohler-k-series-sm-tp-2379pdf/

It will be much easier this way, than try to analyse the problem in post form.

If you still have any probs, come back and we'll go from there. Or lets us know how you got on. 

Regards.

Robins

Exellent, thank you :) Ill download it now.

meadowfield

I'm just in the middle of playing with my RR unit and adding a tacho. :D it's a rainy day....

You should see between 13.8 and around 15V at full revs, if the battery is drained then you see slightly lower voltage but 10A plus charging. It's not recommended to run the RR disconnected, but in all my experiments I haven't broken one either :hide:

Let us know how you get on, I think the number one issue is a poor ground/earth as those things corrode up pretty good!

Mark

Anglo Traction

What kind of Tacho Mark, Digital?.

Edit:- forget that , just seen it in the Elec Forum :hide:

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 1

Anglo Traction

Have you sorted the issues you had with this Daniel?. Hope it is up and running with you now.

Robins

Not had chance yet unfortunately, been so wet down here in Dorset i havent found free time when its not raining to get the tractor outside and run the engine to test charging output :banghead: Rest assured, I will post up my results as soon as ive had a chance. On the plus side though i have made a start on editing the next video, making a snow plow. 

cheers, Daniel