Tim

why is a D better than a C (loaded up with weight)

Tim

topic asks the question;

for example the 79 D series tractors had the same tranny as the automatic c series of that year and (years around 1979). So assuming you are not mowing (the largest user of HP) why is a d better than a C

attachments are so much easier to find for a C, less fuel

a D 200 weighed 1025lb dry , a C161 640 lb dry.

I think I would rather have a C and load it with weight to emulate the D. I may not get all the way there but I think that all in all I would be better off

thoughts

can whlvr

never even sat on a d but I would take a c over the d,just because of where I live,ive only seen 1 d in my life and no attachments ever

dandan111

I would rather have a c.

squonk

I drove a friend's d once. Big and bulky. not as maneuverable as a C. I could stand up on it and drive it though. :)

Hodge71

I have both and I guess it depends what you want to do. My 18 Auto was designated an "Estate Tractor" when they came out in 1973. In 1970 when the Ponds decided to break into this market, they wanted more horsepower than the GT 14 which stood for Garden Tractor 14 Horsepower and was the big boy on the block back then, a true 3 point hitch with separate controls for the mid hitch and rear 3 point. The D is a big tractor, made to do big work, and do it very comfortably. I would say its the predecessor to todays sub compact utility tractors. Saying that….its hulking size and power makes it best suited to wide open spaces. Hence why the 60 inch deck was mounted out back and the snowblower and tiller was huge compared to the C series implements at a the time. My D will push snow like a freight train….much more snow and much farther than my C series every will. Im hoping to get a tiller for the back this spring as I'm putting in a decent size garden here at the farm and it would make life much easier for me…and hey who DOESNT  want to buy a new attachment…lol. So for mowing around the house and flower beds I would say is better suited for a C series, nice open ares are covered better with a D and a 60 inch deck. I liked  the idea of a 60 so much I put one UNDER my 18 auto so I get the best of both worlds..maneuverability of a belly mower around the house and beds, with the coverage of the 60 inch deck in the wide open spaces here. 

Edited by hodge71
  • Like 4

JackC

I like having both.  They each have different tasks that they shine best at.  

Collecting Wheel Horse tractors is like like having a harem, you want both not one or the other.

rexman72

would actually like a C 195 over the D

slufoot733

I only have a D, a D-200. My father bought it new in '78 after he retired. It's a neat tractor but it is bulky. So far I have it running fine but I am very careful to take care of the hydraulics and the PTO clutch since they are next to impossible to replace. The D is big, heavy, the steering is sloppy, it's hard to maneuver and a bear to work on. I have it because it was my dads and it's the only WH I have. The C series is more versatile in my opinion. They are easier to work on and maintain, parts are more readily available, etc. And many of the C's will do the same job as a D. The D is a brute and neat to see but not as practicle as a C for most of us.

JMHO,

KT

js5020

would actually like a C 195 over the D

Just a question, wouldnt that be kinda like jumping from the frying pan into the fire?  I thought the 195s were far and few between also, I guess it couldnt be any worse on the parts side of things?  Do regular C attachments fit those or are they like the GT14?

• Like 1

wheeledhorseman

Tim, it's horses for courses so as to speak - there are Lawn Tractors, Garden Tractors and, as Jeff has said, the Ds are Estate Tractors. The attachments for the Ds were specific to them due to size and the fact that being larger, the front and rear driven attachments are pto shaft driven rather than belt driven.

Most guys focus on GTs as the practical solution taking size, strength and what you can do with them into account but if you have the space and collect WHs then there really ought to be a D in the collection. You have to see one close up to appreciate that they are much bigger (height, width, length), heavier, and an entirely different construction. Sure the turning circle isn't great but sloppyness is due in my experience to worn or loose front axle mounting, worn linkages, or a worn steering box - yes a D has a proper steering box! Once taken care of the steering comes good but it is a much larger turning circle than a C.

If you have a small yard and just want to cut grass, have limited storage space etc then a D certainly wouldn't be a wise choice. I have a small stable of horses ranging from a tiny A-800 through D-200. Love them all and having got my first D-200 went on to buy another.

Andy

• Like 1

Tim

I have seen and used a D, I tried to move snow with it and frankly I was not that impressed, it did not have wheel weights, it did have chains, but with it's wider tires and larger blade it stopped faster than a C would have

As I found (and it surprised me) the transmissions are the same for the automatic c's of same year.

I would have thought the weakest link to these would the transmissions.  for a C series you will dig holes (or do wheelies on asphalt) well before you put too much strain an engine.

people comment about putting to much weight on the tractor, too much stress on the tranny etc. the c's have the same transmissions of the D's, so in my mind they  have the same weakest link.  in fact from the two tractors I would guess the link is weaker on a D as it has to carry more weight even when not needed.

the three point hitch is certainly an advantage, the shaft driven for attachments... just harder to find, and more expensive attachments

Hodge71

I have seen and used a D, I tried to move snow with it and frankly I was not that impressed, it did not have wheel weights, it did have chains, but with it's wider tires and larger blade it stopped faster than a C would have

As I found (and it surprised me) the transmissions are the same for the automatic c's of same year.

I would have thought the weakest link to these would the transmissions.  for a C series you will dig holes (or do wheelies on asphalt) well before you put too much strain an engine.

people comment about putting to much weight on the tractor, too much stress on the tranny etc. the c's have the same transmissions of the D's, so in my mind they  have the same weakest link.  in fact from the two tractors I would guess the link is weaker on a D as it has to carry more weight even when not needed.

the three point hitch is certainly an advantage, the shaft driven for attachments... just harder to find, and more expensive attachments

I have no clue how wide your tires are on the D but my 29x9.50-15 R-4s will dig to the frame if I allow them, and it pushes my 60 inch blade and a full head of snow or modified like nothing. I have 60 pound factory weights on each back wheel and the fronts have factory 35 pounders. While it wont do wheelies like you're doing with you C series, I wouldn't expect it to, weighing over 1200 pounds as it sits. 

Just a question, wouldnt that be kinda like jumping from the frying pan into the fire?  I thought the 195s were far and few between also, I guess it couldnt be any worse on the parts side of things?  Do regular C attachments fit those or are they like the GT14?

I would never want a C-195…nice to look at but my brother had 2 runners and 1 for parts…nothing it uses matches anything else Wheel Horse had, it was only made 2 years,  the 60 inch deck was an Ariens and has no spare parts around, tiller from a D will fit and I think a 60 inch snow blade will fit to but now sure if theres many implements from a C that fit.

Tim, your original question was how is a D better than a C….its all conjecture and personal opinion. Especially when the 2 machines were intended for 2 entirely different types of use….You say the D sucks to plow snow..I say from my experience mine will out-plow and out-pull anything Wheel Horse ever made….2 years ago I moved 150 tons of modified with the 18 auto to build a new driveway at my old house…My C 160 or 416 could have done it but not nearly as fast or as much of a load at a time...

Edited by hodge71
  • Like 1

bewford

Having all 3 of the machines that have been brought up (c-160, d-200, c-195) I agree that they are useful for different tasks, all shine in some areas, and stink in others, if your only gonna have one, which I can't imagine just one, gotta figure out which will do everything you need it to the most efficiently, it all give and take in my mind.

glgrumpy

My first D now and don't really like it. Only have used for Snow and as noted, doesn't turn sharp and is PIA to manuever then. I also have the wider front tires that are just skis in snow. I do have chains, but no weights. Spins easy. I do have a rear blade that I mount mostly for weight and it is better. Blade is plenty beefy, controls for it not as fast as I like for raising/lowering it. Wish it had foot control, have to have three arms to run steering, blade and drive controls all at once.  Seems to push fine. The seats are way too far forward for me and gas tank at back doesn't allow any more rear movement. I'm not even a tall guy.  Last year I had a Charger 12hp hydro and it pushed it all as good as this D does. It only had ags and chains and no weights and hardly ever spun. Was manual lift blade tho, that gets old fast. Again a foot control would have been nicer. I have to do some work on my D this summer and the whole things is all enclosed by body panels and looks hard to get into. The C's are easy to see and work on.  I thik the 520 H looks like a better machine that the D for most uses. Lot more improved and features.

bitten

To say that one is better that the other would be hard to do. As stated they both have there strong suits. For pushing snow I have used both and the D will bury the C in snow. I have tillers for both and haven't used the 36" since I got the tiller for the D. For moving trailers you have got to like the 3 point that you can lift the tong up with and the weight to pull it with. Pulling the 60" roller has got to go to the D also as it doesn't push it around. For pulling the sprayer the C makes it a lot easier to maneuver around with. I dont use a Wheel Horse for mowing but the D would be the last one I would pick. For pulling the yard cart again would have to go with the C. For just driving around I would pick any other then the D.

If I could only keep just one ( hate to think of that) with the attachment that I have I would have to keep the D just because at the end of the day I can do more work with it. The D isn't my favorite in my stable but it is the one that gets the work done. 

tommyg

All I can say is that I've witnessed several instances of tractor envy when people see my D180.