Kevbo

C-120 Not charging? How to test?

Kevbo

Hi everyone. So I was plowing snow and the tractor randomly turned off. Found out the battery was dead and charged it back up and it was fine. I put the battery charger back on afterwards and noticed the battery was drained significantly. So I assumed that the tractor was not charging the battery. I decided to test the battery. Solid 13v output. Then I tested the amp meter it read 0.5v...I replaced the voltage rectifier regulator and put a brand new one on. Nothing changed. Amp meter still barely puts out any amps on the dial. At this point I am clueless as to what is wrong...I checked all the wire connections and we are good there...any suggestions?

Thanks you guys are the best, hope everyone is staying warm!

-Kevin 

ARK

Charge battery with external charger, not the tractor.

When fully charged, read terminal voltage…minimum 12.7, and do a battery electrolyte reading, should be 1.25-1.3

IF battery test correct, tie into tractor.

Now, with a voltmeter on battery terminals and all hooked up, start the tractor with the electric starter, voltage while starting no lower than 10V, if good let warm up and while warming at about 1500 RPM, read voltage, should be higher that original reading after external charge.

WOT, read voltage, should be maximum, 14.xx but less than 15V

Test then respond with numbers

can whlvr

check for bad ground first,lots of times the rectifier ground goes bad,i run a direct wire from the main tractor ground to the rectifier ground