6wheeler

seed planters

6wheeler

Hey All. Even though it is - degrees right now, been thinking on the gardens. Got the plans drawn out already and starting the sweet potatoes for slips. Had a thought. I need a planter( I can't seem to plant straight,according to my wife). I know about the Earthway planters, But someone mentioned a different brand on here that may be better. I can't find the thread. Can you help?

jwl

There are several types of seeder planters used with different tractors over the yrs. some of them were even built by the tractor makers, but mostly they used either one built by Danville Manufacturing or something built by Planet jr.  The Danville seeders are the ones mostly commonly referred to as a David Bradley. Although they were sold by that company, they remained one of the many things out sourced by Sears. These unit have showed up on at a dozen different models of tractor, and are all basically the same except the hitching parts. They use a seed disc that revolves on a shaft powered by a chain to its rear wheel. You normally got 8 different plates and the seeding chart was glued inside the lid, so you could set the rate, via sprockets on the drive wheel and main shaft. There was also a row marker mounted on the top, that swung left or right to help you get the row spacing's better. This type of seeder will singulate the seed as to however many inches you have the drives set for. It works really well for pop and sweet corn, but not so good for peas and beans, and without a brush attachment that usually missing wont do small seed very well.

post-11057-0-49306700-1391837292.jpg

The other common thing to find with a GT is one of the many Planet jr models. The 300, 300A and the 25 are the most normally found ones, again with the proper hitching require by the maker of the tractor. The Jr differs from the Danville, by being either a drill unit or a hill drop one. This means you will have a solid row of plants that you will have to thin out later, or that it will drop several seeds, then skip a distance and repeat that pattern. Only the #4 or 25 have the hill drop parts, the 300 and 300A are much bigger units and are drill only. This makes the 300 serial poor for planting corn product, but perfect for planting any thing like peas, beans, or plants that need a continuous row. It works by having a flat metal plate, with different sized holes in it. You simply align the proper sized hole up and a small auger or brush, pushes seed across it, and out the bottom. I use the 300A all the time in my garden for peas and any bean seeds, and the stands are perfect most of the time.

Both of these come in several types of hitching, so you can push one or mount it on the tractor. They also are not fond of trash, ei weeds, trash, rocks, etc. You need to have fairly well worked ground to get a good stand.

post-11057-0-53572900-1391837618.jpgpost-11057-0-04422100-1391837740.jpg

I collect seeding machines, have a couple dozen different units that I test in the garden each yr. Some work better on some seeds and others not at all.

• Like 6

Jim_M

I've got the earthway and it works but I'm not thrilled with it. I'm saving my pennys for a planet junior.

jwl

one can use an Earthway seeder with a Gt, by simply making the brackets needed to attach. I have seen several done this way. What I don't care for is the way this type of seeder gets seed caught behind the plate and the fact it over seeds by a lot.  You can google garden seeders and find several other brands currently for sale. Most are pricey for people who only want to plant a little.  Seeding is the most important job in any vegetable  growing. You only get one shot at the perfect stand most times, and that's what we're all looking for, perfect distance, perfect depth and perfect covering. Anything less is a crop failure., and you have wasted your time, money, seed, then you don't fed your family.

6wheeler

I have googled seeders. Someone mentioned in an older thread, a different planter brand. Not an earthway or Planet jr. I think it was a member from over seas. But, I can't find the thread. I know I checked it out. But, I did not save the sight and can't remember what it was named. Maybe someone else can remember the make of the planter. Any help is appreciated

jwl

here's a list of seeders made currently:

Jang

hoss

ebra

lambert

glaser

saalet

thilot Holland

farm art.

There are several more china made ones without brand names. Some of these are made overseas and cost nearly $1000. some only plant small seeds, some only large, and some units plant multi rows.

baerpath

I have this one been sitting in the barn for years. Probobly should sell it Maybe this spring I'll get it down clean it up and sell it.

post-121-0-24939300-1392006837_thumb.jpg

Jim_M

I mis-spoke in my earlier post. I'm planning to buy a Hoss. Other than the price I've heard nothing but good about them.

jwl

yes I think $159, plus the fact that you need a Planet jr cultivator frame is getting a little up there. The only bad reviews I've seen on them was the runner plugged up in trashy ground, but I think the guy was working to overcome that.  Personally I've never payed more than $100 for any of my seeders and most half that amount.

rick

Earthway isn't perfect, but it beats dropping seeds by hand. A nice sharp hoe will take care of extra plants in my garden, once the plants are of some size and you know which you want to keep. I nearly always have a hoe in my hand when I walk out to the garden, anyway.

cumminscook

can you buy any  planters new yet

Lane Ranger

Earthway still makes one that is sold in a lot of plant/seed stores.  I have a 1962  David Bradley two wheel seeded with  a fertilizer  attachment and 12  seeded plates of different sizes that I am restoring.  New paint, handles and nuts and bolts.   I  will post some pics when I get  back from Boston, Mass; Freeport, Maine and Corpus Christi, Texas trip in mid-June!

Earthway Products 1001-B Precision Garden Seeder

Earthway Products 1001-B Precision Garden Seeder
by Earthway  .  Sold at Northern Tool and on Amazon also!

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

jwl

I'd like to see this. I only know of 11 plates for the DB styled seeders. I also have one of the two wheeled units, along with one for the walker, and a 3pt one for the Suburbans.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

JLW:   I checked this am and you are correct!  11 different ones.   I have two D-12 plates.

Here are copies of the two versions from the 11961 Sears catalog.   Made in Danville, Illinois.

I have the two wheel version on the second page that I am restoring.  The  first page version is the pull behind the tractor version.

See top center of the page.

post-339-0-64395900-1401540761_thumb.jpg

See bottom right corner of the page.  That is the version I have.

post-339-0-34434700-1401540785_thumb.jpg

This is my seeder restore project in process.    Hunter Green and Black colors.

post-339-0-27612800-1401542192_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-02247200-1401545188_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

Wonder if this one is similar?

Garry

• Like 1

jwl

JLW:   I checked this am and you are correct!  11 different ones.   I have two D-12 plates.

Here are copies of the two versions from the 11961 Sears catalog.   Made in Danville, Illinois.

I have the two wheel version on the second page that I am restoring.  The  first page version is the pull behind the tractor version.

See top center of the page.

attachicon.gifSears Catalog Seeder 10001.jpg

See bottom right corner of the page.  That is the version I have.

attachicon.gifSears Catalog Seeder 20001.jpg

This is my seeder restore project in process.    Hunter Green and Black colors.

attachicon.gifIMG_5314.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5313.JPG

that's the same unit I have, but mine is white and has pipe handles.

• Like 1

jwl

Wonder if this one is similar?

Garry

Not similar, but exactly the same. I owned one once, but sold it. it was orange with a green wheel. Whats not pictured is the hitch. it went to the 4 bolts mount around the hopper frame and had the typical Simplicity C shaped hook up. When I got this unit it gave me the missing 2 hole plates that the DB didn't have with it.

There was a Wheel horse one on Facebook the other day that's the same seeder unit, as they were made for all sorts of different companies.  Its the hitching part I believe where made by the end seller. Nice to see another type of manual as I never got one with the Wards seeders when I got it.

• Like 1