Ed Kennell

Simplicity Model L

Ed Kennell

Picked up this barn find yesterday.  Any interest before I research and CL it ?

Looks like it's all there.  The B&S is free and feels like it has compression.

speedyleedy

Thats a nice walk behind you got there :)

Wheel-N-It

My Grandfather bought one of these brand new. I've got the wheel weights mounted on my 312-8

timo4352

I'd think about it if it had a snow plow  :eusa-think:

Ed Kennell

Really had no love for 2 wheel walk behinds.  My Dad had a 2 wheeler that I was "required" to use to work the garden when  I was a 60 lb. 10 year old. I learned to hate that killer tractor .It had a clutch for each wheel, and if they were not engaged at exactly the same time the handles kicked me in the ribs....It worked me more than I worked It .. Humm,.maybe that was Dads plan.  Anyway I had a couple hours this morning to play with this little Model L.  I checked the oil, pulled the plug, and spun her with my homemade electric starter.   No fire at all.  Should I go back to my original plan and CL it as a non-runner ? Well it only has 3 bolts holding the tin on, so off it comes. shined up the magnets with some scotch brite and spun her again. She threw plenty of spark. So , now I think this little tractor is startin to grow on me, and I need to see it run..  So I took the frozen up throttle cable off and pulled the wire out of the sheath and soaked it with PB.

post-7208-0-79648600-1393088605.jpg        post-7208-0-53483300-1393088695.jpg

OOPS...gotta run to a Grandsons Basketball tournament....update when I get fuel in her.

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 1

Terry M

Glad it's growing on you because thats a very cool machine :handgestures-thumbupright:  ...Curious to see if you get it going..and hope you get it going. :)  

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Glad it's growing on you because thats a very cool machine :handgestures-thumbupright:  ...Curious to see if you get it going..and hope you get it going. :)  

Thanks Terry ....Guess I'm all ready hooked .

Had it  running this afternoon while spraying fuel in the carb.  Gas was running out of the bottom of the carb., but she wouldn't draw fuel in on her own. Next step ...carb redo. But I ran out of time and had to run for another B-Ball game....BTW, the boys won all 3 games today.  :happy-wavemulticolor:

• Like 1

jwl

pretty easy to get hooked on them. I have a LC with a bunch of attachments here. It was one of the first walkers I got back  the mid 80's, before collecting them was the fade. Must have put a zillion hour on that machine, working my 12 acres of market vegetables.  It looks pretty bad these days, as I took the engine off for another unit, the rims rusted out to the tubes from the loaded tires. Sometime I should go back and put it all  together, but there always seems to be another tractor that gets movd up to the top of list. I do have the snow/dirt blade for mine!!

squonk

I like your starter!  :thumbs: I used to use an old B&D 1/2" drill to start an old Gravely walk be hind I had. :)

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat: Saves a lot of wear and tear on arms, starters and batteries.  Gotta be careful with the B&S though...the crank has a LH thread.

AMC RULES

You do know Ed, after you get it running...

you won't want to let it go, right?   :) 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Yeah, It's  already growing roots in the shop Craig. It probably found a home. :roll:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:woohoo:      Finally got the 520 H finished, so I had some time to rebuild the carb on the Model L.  Had trouble with the float sticking closed, but after 3-4 float adjustments I finally got fuel in the  carb .

I cranked her up with my  drill starter and she took off running.  After a few tweaks on the carb, he purrs and idles down without stalling.   Restarts with one pull on the rope.

Not bad for a 65 year old engine.    Now to find or build a sulky and I may let her pull me around  the Steamarama  this fall.

Edited by ekennell

gwest_ca

I likely have manuals for all this Simplicity product if you need them.

Garry

Martin

thats great you got it running, Ed. 

Going to keep it for sure now, hey?

Ed Kennell

I likely have manuals for all this Simplicity product if you need them.

Garry

I have copies of the manuals, but :thanks:   Garry.

thats great you got it running, Ed. 

Going to keep it for sure now, hey?

Yeah, I'm partial to that ORANGE  Allis Chalmers / Simplicity paint as I started working for AC in 1964 and retired from that same company in 2006 and continued working as a consultant until last year,  49 years later.

We did not manufacture farm or construction equipment here in York, Pa.  Our product was large custom hydraulic  turbines for hydro electric power plants, But the paint we used was the same orange  color as the tractors.  

So I guess the little orange 2 wheller will stay even if it clashes with the red horses.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Nice little Briggs Model N on that L!