wheelhorsekid

Would You Over Pay for Your Favorite WH?

wheelhorsekid

When I find a WH I gotto have, I'll overpay for it. Just seems like it's too often lol. Supply & Demand? I keep telling myself that. Not saying I haven't had my share of great deals.

I just picked up a C 161-8 and paid $330. She's rough but I had to have her.

What are your favorite models and would you overpay for them just to have it?

post-5743-0-25815100-1391555293_thumb.jp

Hodge71

Yeah I overpay too….nothing I can do about it…its a sickness…I too have had some amazing deals  but overpaid for my 18 auto cuz I couldn't live without it

• Like 1

Kelly

If the C 161 is running I would say you did ok, a good 16hp Kohler is $250+ 

56flatbed

I would have picked up that C161 you have for that money.   I am very fond of all the C series anyway.  Like Kelly said a good running 16hp Kohler is $250, wait a second!  Kelly, you were going to sell me yours for $300 What's up with that? :ychain:

• Like 1

can whlvr

ya you cant buy any horse up here for 330,and a 16 hp would go for way more,years ago I paid 400 for my c160 with a thrower,i thought I paid too much but havnt even seen more than 1 or 2 since then and for a lot more,but if I had the money I would pay top dollar for 1965,like a 855 just to have it

• Like 1

papaglide

I don't EVER over pay for any tractors....EVER!

My wife believes that my barn is chock full great deals!!!!

• Like 8

dmoore

Nice C...I'd pay that.......wait.....I did!

47JDG

As Kelly said if its running then you did good. A 16 horse Kohler one lunger is pretty sought after, and is just going to continue to become more so as time goes on. If you can find one on a tractor that's rough or not, with a good running engine for around what you paid then you did good.

Marv

Inevitable. Can't pass up. All of mine were BARGAINS!!!!

Marvin

• Like 2

AMC RULES

My greatest fear is .....when I'm gone, Hun Bun sells my WHs for what I told her I paid for them.      :banghead:

Will never happen...if they all go in the box with you.   :romance-grouphug:

• Like 4

flyovrcntry

You are not overpaying,if you don't believe me go to Sears and see what 1000.00 buys.

• Like 3

slammer302

I'm guilty of paying to much but I try to look at what I'm getting even if the its just a parts mower I try to look at what it would cost to buy the transmission or a steering wheel or a seat it all adds up right and you would be stuff your going to use why not pay 50$ for a mower that don't run but has good trans and other things you would use than ur money ahead

• Like 2

Ken B

We are all probably guilty of this at one time or another. There are certain things that come along every ONCE in a while that are worth over paying for...

Wheel-N-It

If the C 161 is running I would say you did ok, a good 16hp Kohler is $250+ 

Agreed! Assuming the K341 is running then I think you did OK at the least. In our sad USA economy today, $330 will not buy much of anything anymore. So to get a good running K341 Wheel Horse for $300, to me is money well spent.

• Like 1

Tim

personally what i think you guys are calling fair value is too low, i would pay more if i needed one, knowing what i know about their capability.

For what they can do to help maintain your property and for how long they will still last if maintained, they're cheap

say you pay 500 for a tractor, plow and deck;

how much would you spend in one year on having your driveway plowed and your lawn mowed?

when you take that into account is $1000 cheap for something to get these tasks done?

to mow my lawn would cost $75-100 per week.  (I have about 35,000 ft2 of lawn)

just plowing for this storm at my house would be over $100. it's about $40-60 every time they show up

this storm would have been a couple of visits

mine have paid for themselves many times over

if you are collecting them to fix up and drive around at shows then you may consider them expensive. You will put alot into them making them look better than new

Edited by Tim
  • Like 3

KC9KAS

Heck, I paid too much for a tractor I didn't need and was a real POS!

Who knows what would happen if something came along that I really wanted/needed!

stevebo

IMO if you find one that you have no intentions of EVER selling then you did not overpay.

• Like 2

bewford

Sure have, got 2 Ds that a payed more than I thought they were worth because 'I wanted them' on the flip side I have gotten several great deals to, so it all balances out in the end.

• Like 1

Coadster32

If you use a tractor as a worker, then I agree that you couldn't have possibly overpaid compared to what's out there new. :icecream:

If you collect a tractor, then resale value means nothing, and you didn't overpay. :icecream:

If you do both with your tractor, then you're a double winner indeed!! :icecream:  :icecream:

If you bought high to sell low....then you're a loser! :ychain:

• Like 4

WheelHorse79

I probably overpaid for the 854 in my avatar when I bought it.  It was rusty, had a sliced up S/G belt guard, bad mower deck, leaky tank and a hole in the tank tower near the gearshift lever.  However, I did buy this tractor as a collector piece and never plan to sell it, so I feel it was worth it.  The sentimental value I now have in it is higher than any resale price it could bring, just like Coadster32 said.

Edited by WheelHorse79

mrc

what flyovrcntry said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  mike in mass.

smoreau

Sure, I have paid a little more then i should for a few of mine, but I wouldn't get rid of any of them for anything less then double what I payed. so it sounds like I would have to keep them for a while. :)  

But if we say a nice 420LSE came into play :eusa-think: I might have to over pay buy a lot! I will own one some day :cool:

Wheel Horse Kid

I do not think you overpayed...It looks to be a pretty solid tractor. Like others have said, the engine alone is worth what you paid for the whole tractor. And to answer your other question, if I was to come across a tractor I REALLY wanted, I would be willing to overpay a bit for it.

857 horse

LIVING IN VIRGINIA,,,,I RARELY SEE WHEEL HORSES....WHICH MAKES ME TRAVEL....

NOW I HAVE DISCOVERED TRAVELING,,,,SHOWS ,,,DEALS,,,PEOPLE,,,,,,,,ALMOST PRICELESS

UNTIL YOU SEE A TRACTOR OR ATTACHMENT YOU HAFFTAH HAVE,,    :)