js5020

How long??

js5020

I'm sure this has been asked before but I havent found the thread yet,,,, How long can we expect our WH machines to be useable?  How long till we run out of parts and the WHs are just show machines for collectors?  I'm not into collecting, I'm a user and if it cant be used then it needs to be replaced with something that can be used.

I picked up my first WH (16 Auto) this summer and refirbed it, basically as a test machine to see if a GT would handle my tasks (downsizing from CUT size machine) before plunking down an arm and both legs for a new JD X530/540 or X7 series  with cab, blade and blower.  This 16 Auto is just plain Great, ya it vibrates a bit more, its a bit louder, and Ive gotten pretty use to the "what were they thinking" hydro control but  I can put up with the short comings for the Huge difference in price.  Id'd like to grab another WH 16+ hp hydro but I'm concerned with parts availability into the future.   What does everyone think?  Are we pretty good for 5yrs,10, 20yrs or should us users cut our losses now?

• Like 1

Kelly

I run a small mostly WH salvage yard for this reason, to keep them going, new parts are getting harder to find, one nice thing about WH tractors is parts over a long period of time will interchange and others will with a little modification.

If you down sized from a CUT you might want to step up to a little bigger machine, like a 520 the hydro controls IMOP are much better, and the eaton trans I think is better, but the 520 has it issues with wiring, and engines that have not been maintained properly.   

• Like 1

oldlineman

Well as for me and my family we will stay with WH as long as I can peace her together. In my modest opinion there is not a better built tractor on the market, having said that there are smoother,prettier,more comfortable, bigger,smaller,fancier but none with a simple design that is strong and works. I will never understand why this tractor design was not continued. I will ride mine till I ride no more.  Bob    

• Like 9

Wheel-N-It

I fully expect to be on a Wheel Horse (working it) till the day comes that I'm too old and feeble to be on one anymore. I have enough Wheel Horses and mower decks and a tiller and blade and access to parts to hold out for long time. ;)

• Like 3

squonk

Wh design was dropped because it didn't break. If you need parts for the 16 there are always C's Raiders ect that use alot of the same parts like Kelly said. I have a C-160 hydro that developed problems with the hydro. I fixed it with parts from Joe's and have acquired 2 spare transmissions from parts tractors. I'm looking to sell one of them now as I need room to store an Eaton 1100 trans for a C-145.

js5020

I run a small mostly WH salvage yard for this reason, to keep them going, new parts are getting harder to find, one nice thing about WH tractors is parts over a long period of time will interchange and others will with a little modification.

If you down sized from a CUT you might want to step up to a little bigger machine, like a 520 the hydro controls IMOP are much better, and the eaton trans I think is better, but the 520 has it issues with wiring, and engines that have not been maintained properly.   

I actually have 2 older CUT sized machines and I doubt I would part with both of them at once, but I would not buy another of this size, I would like to use a smaller less expensive machine for many tasks though and the WH is handling everything to this point indicating that a CUT is overkill, and it is times 3 most of the time.  Actually the CUT is a pita for many "small" tasks and maintanence of 4 ac, its big, not as maneuverable as a GT, its 3 times the weight ruts up anything "soft", and it tends to relocate things you dont want relocated at times.  I was thinking on a 520H or I got a lead on a C195 in the area, but another 16 hp hydro would work as well, this 16 auto has plenty of power even with the blower.

wheelhorsekid

If you're willing to pay, you can have any part made. I'll pay to stay on mine forever! It's not all about the money. It's about the love for the machine.

• Like 6

js5020

If you're willing to pay, you can have any part made. I'll pay to stay on mine forever! It's not all about the money. It's about the love for the machine.

Yes as they say with enough time or money one can do just about anything.  I have already run into an NLA item and had to turn one out on the lathe, it wasnt a big deal I guess.

• Like 1

Hodge71

JS5020,

Anytime you wanna cut your losses on that 16 auto with the "what were they thinking" transmission…you let me know…1973 is a very special year to me and a 16 would look great between my 18 auto and 12 auto

js5020

JS5020,

Anytime you wanna cut your losses on that 16 auto with the "what were they thinking" transmission…you let me know…1973 is a very special year to me and a 16 would look great between my 18 auto and 12 auto

Ha Ha I will keep you in mind should the time come,, which I honestly hope never shows up, I really like the 16 even with the "what were they thinking" hydro control,, the trans itself is sweet, nice and strong feeling, its the stick between the legs Im not overly fond of.  If I ever get  a newer one with an Eaton it definetly get the foot pedal kit.  Im just concerned with longevity of the parts pipeline, before I get to vested in these thing, well further vested than I am,, those snow cabs are kinda spendy.

Grants_dad

Mr JS5020.. Are you ever going to restore the big green machine..  

JimD 

• Like 1

JimD

Did you ever get the tires on it?

• Like 1

Grants_dad

I'd be happy if he found his camera cord..

• Like 1

JimD

Nahh, the rats got it.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

As the OP, js5020, said, I am a user as well. I have found that the machines I have suit the property I have right now. If that changes, there would be a change in what I own. My foray into owning Gravely walk-behinds has been an issue now that I broke my ankle in the summer and don't have quite the stability to walk an embankment behind them as before. They probably will leave the fold when I get around to sprucing them up for sale. The other walk-behinds are more for nostalgia and as collector items.

I have found the 5xi to be the best tractor for my use. I like the step-through chassis and the power. If I could find a second decent 523Dxi, I would sell the two Kohler- engined 5xi. Not that there is anything wrong with them but I have found the diesel to suit my purpose best. My opinion though is that a FEL needs to be on a 4WD SCUT at a minimum, not a 5xi. I have kept a few classic Wheel Horses as they are reliable and more economical for certain tasks. The manual transmission in 2nd gear Hi-Range pulls my spreader at the correct rate. The main reason is that I have a Johnny Bucket and he has not included the 5xi for fitment. 

• Like 1

JimD

John, you may not know this but JS is quite well versed in Gravely equipment. He used to mow his property with them exclusively, which was no small task. You two could swap stories and information on those fine old machines. I was considering buying one with a brush hog to clean up the back yard into the woods a bit to even up the depth across the back of my yard but never did. It may have been a great investment at the time. Oh well, live and learn. :)

Edited by JimD
  • Like 2

Al C.

As for how long Wheel Horses will last, I intend to pass my two down to my sons for their use and care.  I expect for them to keep them in great shape.  These machines are simple designs, made of basic high strength material.  As long as we don't abuse them, I expect that the parts will last a long long time.  And when they wear out, and we can no longer find second/third had replacements, I haven't found a piece that can't be fabricated or substituted for.  Long live Wheel Horse!! 

• Like 3

tractorhogg

I'm sure this has been asked before but I havent found the thread yet,,,, How long can we expect our WH machines to be useable?  How long till we run out of parts and the WHs are just show machines for collectors?  I'm not into collecting, I'm a user and if it cant be used then it needs to be replaced with something that can be used.

I picked up my first WH (16 Auto) this summer and refirbed it, basically as a test machine to see if a GT would handle my tasks (downsizing from CUT size machine) before plunking down an arm and both legs for a new JD X530/540 or X7 series  with cab, blade and blower.  This 16 Auto is just plain Great, ya it vibrates a bit more, its a bit louder, and Ive gotten pretty use to the "what were they thinking" hydro control but  I can put up with the short comings for the Huge difference in price.  Id'd like to grab another WH 16+ hp hydro but I'm concerned with parts availability into the future.   What does everyone think?  Are we pretty good for 5yrs,10, 20yrs or should us users cut our losses now?

That really depends greatly on you. First, you must have bought a decent machine to start with? If you buy another, buy something that is in better shape even its more money, it will be cheaper in the long run. Second, get machines for different tasks, that will lessen the burden on any one machine. I suggest two winter machines and two summer machines, but at least one of each, that way you are not using one tractor year round and it will double the life of your tractors, four will quadruple the life of your tractors and may now be getting to the point where they will last as long as you. Lastly buy machines that are in a series or share a majority of parts with another or other machines. The C series are the best option with the 12 and 14 hp being most prevalent. The C160/161/165 is the most powerful but the 16hp engine is getting hard to find. I like the hydros and the parts are still available, so that would be my advice. I am really glad someone finally asked this question from the users standpoint and from a user that seems to be concerned both for the tractors and the user in a mature and adult way. Thanks

• Like 2

js5020

Well Jim and Gerald the JD M is ummm how do I say it,, ok,,,, hasn't been worked on since the bit of work I did to it when I started on the 16 Auto.  I will pass it on to someone else in the near future, I'm either taking a new position way south of PA or selling out and downsizing here in PA, either direction I wont need any machines larger than a GT.  My quandary at this point is what to keep, the Gravely12 or the 16 Auto,,, the JDs are going to be sold off and so is the AC for sure.  If I move south and keep the WH there is going to be a real nice late model tall chute blower for sale as I probably wont be seeing enough snow for a blade let alone a blower.  I might sell all of em  who knows at this point?

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Long as they make steel and this forum keeps going', I bet you can keep your WH alive...

• Like 2

JimD

Joe, let us know where you're going to end up and about the new job too.

Grants_dad

Even though Jim said it twice.. Let us know where man.. One day i will get out that way to say hi in person..

JP 141

The Wheel Horse tractor is like a Harley... may take a min to find older parts (but we are here )...The sound and vibration cannot be matched, you know you are on an American made Tractor !!!!   My opinion of course...lol

• Like 3

N3PUY
Here's one that's gonna be 60 next year.  Depends on how they're treated.  It makes a difference "behind the garage or in the garage".

IMG_6032_(800x600).thumb.jpg.5375d732623
  • Like 3