dwcphoto

gas tank seal

dwcphoto

Hi Folks,

I'm back with another question on my 518-H (with the 520 rear).  I'm loosing some gas. It seems to seep somewhere and I'm suspecting it the seal where the gas line comes out of the bottom of the tank. Is this a fixable thing or do I need to get a new gas tank? It's real slow. I can't find a drip, but I can smell gas and when I go to add gas it seems like it's been leaking. thanks, d

rmaynard

I think what you need is a #46-6560 bushing. They are common to many Wheel Horse and other tractors. Check eBay, Amazon, or your local Toro Dealer. They should cost you about $3.00 plus shipping. If that is not the problem, you could have a crack in the tank, which will require replacement.

dwcphoto

Thank you for your quick reply!  I'll look for that and give it a try. Thank you, dwc

ol550

Most auto parts stores will have or can get the bushings.  Talk with the oldest person there, It's in their Primeline catalog. 

• Like 1

dwcphoto

To replace it, just pull the old one out and push the new one in??  Thanks! d

rmaynard

I do not have that model, but did have a C-101 (similar tank). If you have easy access to it, it should be fairly simple. Drain the tank, carefully remove the shut-off valve, then remove the bushing. Be careful removing the valve as there is a fragile debris screen attached to the inlet of some. When reinstalling the bushing, put a little grease or oil on it to facilitate easier insertion. Do the same with the valve.

dwcphoto

Thanks! I'll stop in at my local shop and see if they have one and get started. Much appreciated. dwc

rmaynard

If you can't find one, PM me. I have some on hand.

dwcphoto

Cool. Much appreciated. d

pacer

I would encourage you to also check for the tank itself leaking - these dang plastic tanks are notorious for getting a leak at the seam. You gonna pull the tank anyway, so when you get it out wipe/clean off the bottom of the tank, all around the bushing and all across the bottom, with a little bit of fuel in it you should spot the seepage, whether its the bushing or the seam on the tank.

My C-100 just did the same thing you describe and I thought for sure it was the bushing, but on checking like I described I found it was the seam on the tank!

dwcphoto

Good advice. If it's the seam, can it be sealed with epoxy or something, or is it a new tank? thanks, d

56flatbed

Strange as it may seem, my C145 actually had 2 leaks at the top.  When I pulled the tank to clean it out I discovered cracks on the top in the grooves on each side.  The bolts in the fender appeared to be hitting there and eventually wore through.  Those leaks allowed a lot of water to get in the tank.  JB Weld and all is well! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

rmaynard

The tanks are made of polyethylene. There is no glue that will permanently stick to it. Anything that you use will eventually come loose, and you will be fixing it again. If it is leaking at a seam, you are better off replacing it. Used tanks are plentiful.

Martin

also check the molded in nuts on the bottom of the tank. there is one each side (you will see a bolt going up into the tank on each side). they can get torn out of there home with flexing of the rear fender support and related parts that bolt in around the tank. 

ericj

also check the shut off valve while you have it out i generally replace it as well when i'm doing the bushing as far as the leaks if somebody put too long of bolts in the fender pan it is possible to crack the tank. a 518 has a gas gauge in it, so you will need to get a tank from a 518,520 or possible a 516. i have a 516 but can't remember if it has a gauge or not. check your fuel line also could have a crack in the line. good luck

eric j 

dwcphoto

Thanks. Much appreciated.  With some warmer weather coming, I'll get a start on this. I don't have a garage, so I'm a driveway mechanic. thanks for all of your help. best, dwc

okay, one last question. if I have to replace the tank, is there a way to make sure the used one I'm buying is alright, since most of them are shipped after an auction. thanks! d

rmaynard

Buy from a reputable seller who will test it before selling it. I would suggest one of our vendors, Kelly or Joe's Outdoor Power.

dwcphoto

Thank you for your advice. If I need one, I'll call one of these dealers. thank you! d

520Tom

My valve and and screen were gummed up pretty bad on a recent new (been sitting for 17 years) c-160. I replaced the seal and the valve, but now its leaking. Is there a sealer I can use or will fuel make the rubber seal swell and stop leaking eventually?

slammer302

I know their is a sealer for metal tanks but I don't know about plastic I had a friend try the rubber sealer on a ATV gas tank it didn't work