xring1

417A clutch, brake, speed control safety switch ?

xring1

Where is the safety swithch located for the clutch, brake, speed control ?

I have looked at the parts diagram on PartsTree and don't see it.

My problem is that when it gets real cold it will not engage solinoid etc when pedal is pushed.

If I warm the tractor with a gas heater it will start so I suspect maybe moisture and freezing up as I use it a lot for snow blowing. It gave me fits last year and so far this year it has been ok till now..

I need to bypass/jumper the switch till I can try a new one.  Does the switch open or close to start ?

TT

I just checked an '86 and it has a micro switch under the console cover plate. The actuator should contact the parking brake lock lever when applied - and the switch would be closed with the brake locked.

xring1

I just checked an '86 and it has a micro switch under the console cover plate. The actuator should contact the parking brake lock lever when applied - and the switch would be closed with the brake locked.

Hi TT

So this is the pedal interlock switch ?

xring1

I just checked the wiring diagram and there are different switches for parking brake and pedal

TT

The hydro tractor doesn't have the clutch pedal switch because there is nothing there to activate it.

The wiring diagram / parts list covers the hydro and 8 speed models and is confusing - which is why I walked out and looked at a real 417-A.

xring1

The hydro tractor doesn't have the clutch pedal switch because there is nothing there to activate it.

The wiring diagram / parts list covers the hydro and 8 speed models and is confusing - which is why I walked out and looked at a real 417-A.

So if the problem is the switch under the console plate I just jumper it like I did the PTO switch ?

TT

So if the problem is the switch under the console plate I just jumper it like I did the PTO switch ?

Yes - use a temporary test jumper to bypass the switch.

Personal disclaimer (to cover my butt): Do so at your own risk.

JackC

Maybe all you need to do is wiggle the hydro control lever and make sure it is all the way to the left in the neutral position to close the switch.  You may need to lubricate things under the panel with some WD40 since things may stick a little in the cold weather.  If the switch needs to be cleaned or replaced, that should be done since you do not want the tractor to move unexpectedly when it is started.  After lubricating everything, you may get away with just bending out the lever on the switch a little.

flyovrcntry

I have the same problem with my 417-A at times ,when its cold and snowy or icy.I didn't have a problem until I tightened up my brake,which in turn  wouldn't allow the rod to go far enough forward to actuate the switch ,so I backed it off a little.I still have good brake,it was just a little too tight.

xring1

Thanks for the input. Switch is history. Bypassed and starts fine.

• Like 1

Jparkes43

The parking brake switch is underneath the tractor connected to the lever and the clutch is the same don't know about a speed controller as mine doesn't have one

James