oliver

First tractor is this a good deal and is it a real wheel horse?

oliver

Hello from the UK! I'm 17 years old i'm interested in buying my first tractor. I've found this on ebay, i'm sceptical to wether it's real. If looks legit, do you think the pricing is right?  

Thanks

post-2-0-40001800-1390961156_thumb.jpg

Edited by nylyon
eBay link removed as per guidelines.

Kelly

Looks like a real WH to me, I know they are not common over there but the price is WAY high for over here, in the US. that would be a $400 machine I see over there he is asking over $1000

oliver

what sort of power am i looking at? What sort of speed? How much will it pull? 

Kelly

That one is a 8 HP Kohler, speed about 5 MPH it will pull alot

dbartlett1958

Oliver,

What are your intentions for this tractor if you buy it?

chesbaycruiser

Ditto to everything Kelly said.  I have an equivalent tractor...a 1975 B-80 and it is a tough little workhorse.  It's never let me down mowing or pushing snow or dirt.  But I have to agree that while I don't know much about the European market, over here at that price I'd say the current owner is VERY proud of his tractor.

Good luck in your Horse hunting!

neil

While i think the price is a little on the high side for UK prices , i think if you bought an old one and spent time tidying it up you could end up spending more than that to get it to look nice

Like others have said , it depends what you want to do with it   for that sort of money you could actually buy two tractors & maybe get a cutting deck thrown in with that , 

Just because it looks nice it doesnt mean it is mechanically ok , my advise is go & take a look at it  take some money with you , have a drive round on it & have a bit of a haggle with him .

dont buy it un tested , not unless you really want that one . just remember half the fun with these  tractors is doing them up yourself

If you do  buy it  dont forget to come back here and tell us all how you got on  or you can also visit www.myoldmachine.com  to tell your story

good luck

JMO

meadowfield

Hey Oliver,

Welcome to the group. The price is certainly higher than many of us would like to pay here in the UK. If it's a good restore and mechanically sound then ultimately it could be good value. Many of us have bought old wheel horses and spent 100's fettling them....

Mark

AMC RULES

:handgestures-thumbsup:  Nice lookin'  :wh:

doc724

It looks like a pretty nice tractor.  However, as others have said it may only be cosmetic.  I have looked at many so called restored" machines ans all the owner did was paint everything.  A clue to how good and meticulous the restore was is to look for over spray on parts that should not have been painted in the first place (tires, latches, etc), especially if you are going to pay top dollar for it.  On the pix you shared, the fuel line is red.  I have never seen red fuel line but maybe it does exist.  Check carefully.  Look for masking tape evidence over labels (like the Kohler engine label). If a machine of of this age was not taken apart, cleaned and primed before painting, you may be in for a surprise or two.  Of course as others have said, you can put a lot of $ into fixing up a machine that does not look so good, but there is a lot of fun and satisfaction in doing it.  Best of luck with your decision.

• Like 1

Wheel Horse Kid

It looks pretty nice and would be a good worker, but as said above, some guys just spray paint to make them look good and do nothing else.