zanepetty

best throttle cable trimming method

zanepetty

What's the best way to trim the cables without damaging the wires inside?

Wishin4a416

Ive never had to do a throttle cable but plenty of choke cables. I remove the inner cable before cutting the outer sheath.

buckrancher

pull the inner wire out before you cut the outer housing

SousaKerry

I use an alternative method to the above.  Take a pair of Dikes (diagonal wire cutters not the other kind) and place the cable through the jaws so that each jaw point is between a separate coil, gently squeeze so that the wire coils separate but try not to nick the wire in the middle.  Now remove the dikes and use just the tips to cut the outer wire where the coils separated.  pull off the remaining coils and trim the inner wire to the desired length.  

Now the tough part is putting the little Z bend in the inner wire.

Warning this method will not work with cheapo Harbor Freight cutters as the wire is harder then the jaws, or the jaws are so hard that the cutting edge will shatter on the wire.

ri702bill

I needed to trim both new choke & throttle cables I bought for my 854. Both shorten the same way - pull the inner wire BACK, not out, of the casing. I lightly clamped the casing in a bench vise and cut off what I needed with a pneumatic cut-off wheel. Deburr the cut end & push the wire back thru. Snip the wire to length & reshape the "Z" using two pairs of needle nose pliers. If you pull the locking style throttle cable wire out completely, is a bear to feed it back thru.

zanepetty

OK. So don't pull the throttle/locking one out. So pull the housing over the z bend and cut it off where I need it, then trim the inner wire after sliding the housing back correct?

chazm

This may give you some in-site on the subject, its on a push mower ,but the principle is the same  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by chazm

ri702bill

I omitted to mention to cut off the existing "Z" end first, then pull the wire back part way into the casing.

zanepetty

Thanks a bunch. My dumb self cut the cable to short because I cut it when the throttle nob was all the way in. So I would've had no adjustment and it would have been wide open all the time the the throttle nob all the way pushed in. :( I was dead set on riding my tractor in the snow but I screwed that up.

bowtieguy

Making a Z bend is the EASY part...go to your local hobby shop (RC airplanes) and buy a pair of Z-bend pliers (HAN119)....sold by Horizon Hobby Inc, Champaign, IL.....will cost ya about 10 bucks but you will make perfect Z bends compared to a pair of needle nose pliers.

Now you can guess what other hobbies I like to play with!!!...didn't someone say: ""the boy with the most toys wins"!!!!!?

Edited by bowtieguy
  • Like 1

zanepetty

Thanks a bunch! I'll look for the pliers.

zanepetty

I can't keep the throttle cable bracket from moving around. If I get the govenor nut too tight the disc won't move and if I make it lose enough for the disc to move the bracket flogs around everywhere. What am I doing wrong?

chazm

Do you have it set up like this in post #4 pictures

Edited by chazm

zanepetty

Yes it is exactly like that. I have no clue what could be wrong. There is no way it will work they way its acting now.. that's an old picture I had before I put the cable bracket and new bolt in. The bracket goes behind that disc just like in the pictures.

post-11334-0-80058600-1391396817_thumb.j

Edited by zanepetty

chazm

Yes it does , when you tighten the nut, it will tighten down both the bracket & disc

Here's the procedure from the K181 manual

SPEED ADJUSTMENT-- K9l, Kl41, Kl61, Kl81
After making initial adjustment and connecting throttle wire on variable speed applications, start
engine and check maximum operating speed with hand tachometer. If adjustment ts necessary to bnng
speed withtn correct operattng range, use the following procedure for both Constant and Variable Speed
settmgs (see Figure 5-5).
STEP 1· Loosen bushing nut slightly.
STEP 2· Move throttle bracket in counterclockwise directton to tncrease engtne speed or move throttle
bracket in clockwise duect10n to decrease engtne speed. Caut10n: Do not allow engme to
operate at speeds above maximum. Maximum permtssible speed for K91 is 4000 RPM, while
3600 RPM tS maxtmum for most Kl41, Kl61, Kl81 models--a slightly higher speed may be
allowed tn certain applicatiQ"ii'S':":check this before exceeding 3600 RPM.
GOVERNOR

STEP 3: With speed tn proper range, rettghten bushing nut to lock throttle bracket tn posttwn.
Cautlon: Do not apply excessive pressure on bushtng nut as thts could cause b~ndtng or
collapsed threads.

Edited by chazm

zanepetty

Seems to be what I did. When I tighten it down the disc locks in to place as well as the bracket so I know something is wrong. I cant get the bracket to stay free without the bracket falling out..this should be the last thing I have to do before I can go for a ride so its really annoying me :/

TT

Looks to me like the paint might be a little thick. :unsure:

You also might have to do a little straightening/tweaking to the cable bracket so it doesn't rub on the back side of the control disc.

zanepetty

This morning I came down and tightened the nut and it miraculously worked. No idea what happened but I'm not complaining. When I tightened down the 1/4 inch bolt that holds the arm on the cross shave a heard a click. Hope nothing bad happened. I had to the the bolt tight enough to pinch the ends together to hold it on the shaft. It Scared me..?

post-11334-0-89626400-1391443588_thumb.j

post-11334-0-39498600-1391443648_thumb.j

post-11334-0-79557200-1391443708_thumb.j

stevasaurus

Looks great Zane.  So, are you riding this horse?  :)

zanepetty

Not yet Steve. I still have to put my steering wheel and shaft on. That will be my last thing. I'm so excited. I won't be able to do that today. I hope I can tomorrow though! I'll take LOTS of pictures if I do. I hope it runs!

Edited by zanepetty

chazm

Glad to see you got the throttle linkage taken care of  :handgestures-thumbupright: 

I do hope you are going to put a nut on that ground cable stud or there will be problems.. :eusa-think:

zanepetty

Haha its not tightened up yet because I don't have my gas line run yet. But thanks for noticing. You have a good eye! Do you think I broke something with that click noise?

Edited by zanepetty

Fishroe

post-12062-0-30213500-1391643055.jpgpost-12062-0-76694100-1391643164.jpg Finally figured out how to post a picture.This is what I use.  I've had them for 20 to 25 years.  Can't  remember where I got them though.  Ordered them through the mail, probably out of some catalogue.  If you weld you could make some pretty easy.