Wheel-N-It

Wisconsin Engine on a Wheel Horse???

Wheel-N-It

I've been thinking about what would be a cool repower for a Wheel Horse, and one of the engines I've considered is a two cylinder Wisconsin. I don't know if thats a good consideration or not. Do you fellows have an opinion on this? Or a pic?? I do not have one of these engines but just in case one comes my way I would like to buy it if the price and condition is right.

Don1977

They are way to big to fit in a Wheel Horse unless you have a senior hiding some where.  The twin cylinder THD is 22 5/16" tall and 22 3/8"long and 21" wide.

• Like 1

SousaKerry

I experimented with putting a 4cly Wisconsin on a wheel horse never got much farther then rebuilding the engine and stretching the frame.  I figured it would take adding 6 inches to the hood height and 6 inches to the frame length to mount it transverse.  Also I would have to widen the frame considerably to support the over hanging weight of the engine mostly on one side.  When I mocked it up it looked really scarey then I moved, had some health problems, teenagers schedules, and life got in the way so I lost interest.  I still have it all and I found a right angle 1:1 gearbox that may work so I could mount the engine Cub Style.  

I have seen other machines with taller engines in them such as Hit and Miss engines so it can be done but it takes a lot of creative engineering.  Also the RPM's of the Wisconsins are lower by about 1000RPM's so bigger drive pullies are in order.  Most of these engines exhaust out the top further complicating the vertical height problem.  Oh and try to find one with Electric start if possible most are not and if your not careful a good backfire will brake your arm.  My V4 is crank start and when it doesn't want to start it will wear you out in about 4 cranks.  They also use WICO or FM magneto's which are interesting to say the least if you have never dealt with them. 

Here is a link to the aborted build

Edited by SousaKerry
  • Like 1

Wheel-N-It

OKk well that idea just out to lunch :eusa-think: , time to think of something else more senseable.

Thank you Don and SousaKerry.

roscoemi

Harley motor? :confusion-scratchheadblue: LOL

• Like 1

posifour11

I've been thinking about this since I bought one from a buddy this summer. Its just a 6.5 HP single cylinder though. I think I have a c-141 in the crosshairs.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Hey, I got one of those!!! Great idea :)

SousaKerry

And if you do it right you might actually get to ride it for 10 whole minutes before it breaks down and leaves you stranded :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

roscoemi

But it will always mark it's turf! :ychain:

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

This one always runs and never marks its turf with an oil leak. But it will mark its turf with rear tire smoke and burning rubber from 120 horsepower at the rear wheel !!! ;)

post-5982-0-73699900-1390957778_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-52838600-1390957822_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Agage1

I put a single cylinder 10 HP Wisconsin in a 300 series. Its seems to have a lot more torque than a kseries. It feels more like a 14 HP Kohler. I don't run it much anymore because I'm afraid if I break something I'll never find parts. Those Wisconsin's are powerful though

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I actually stumbled across a big single cylinder wisconsin engine late this afternoon. I was at a friends house getting a speedometer out of a junk chevy dually truck to replace the broken one in mine when I found an old walk behind ditch witch in the edge of the woods with the engine still attached. The engine was not siezed, and it did seem to have compression. I took a pic of it to show you guys, and will post it tomorrow when I get back to my office. Its one big tall son of a gun! That thing on a Wheel Horse would pull the heck out of a plow!

Wheel-N-It

Here is the engine I found yesterday. This thing is a Beast !

post-5982-0-69650000-1391004095_thumb.jp

posifour11

Go for it!

• Like 1

SousaKerry

We had that same engine on a piece of farm equipment when I was a kid the thing would idle all day powering the small tractor no problem.  They are also very quiet for a motor that size.  That big rope start pulley on the front will also work with a Starter Generator setup, someone who owned it before us had rigged up one off an old Briggs motor and it worked very well.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I'm pretty sure I can talk my friend Doug into selling the whole piece of equipment to me. Might take a little time though, I just got to feel out the situation. His Dad is the person I bought my 416-8 from. Anyway, I'm thinking Wisconsin engine, tall & narrow AG tires on the rear, tri ribs on the front, pan seat and bare bones rear fenders............................................ :popcorn:

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

Sounds neet to me. I saw one a few years ago at a show in Ms. and as I recall he had the hood raised

and it really looked pretty good, I would guess it was probably 10 horse.

• Like 1

Wheel Horse Kid

Never done the conversion, but sounds like a pretty good idea to me! ;)

• Like 1

farmerall

Here is the engine I found yesterday. This thing is a Beast !

That is most likely an AENL or AENLD engine on there and you're right it is a beast. Wisconsin engines are known for being heavy and having lots of torque. Heck I had a 2-2.5 hp Wisconsin. That engine weighed at least 60lbs and was considerably larger than an aluminum Briggs 3.5 hp engine.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I have this old school Wisconsin Horse in my collection. It is a highly modified 1964 WH from way back in

the day. Looks kind of cool but not really if you are a purist! I left it that way just for shits and

giggles!http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/Hammerhead43074/100_7561_zpsc8d65dcb.jpg

Thank you for posting the pic. Its good to know the S/G setup will work on one of those engines. Pulling a starter rope might be OK once and a while but not every time.

That is most likely an AENL or AENLD engine on there and you're right it is a beast. Wisconsin engines are known for being heavy and having lots of torque. Heck I had a 2-2.5 hp Wisconsin. That engine weighed at least 60lbs and was considerably larger than an aluminum Briggs 3.5 hp engine.

Thank you for the information. I'll be sure to check into this further. I really want to be able to save this engine from the scrap yard. I don't know how much this engine weighs but it looks alot heavier than any K341 ever was. Any ideas on the weight of this thing?

Wheel-N-It

We had that same engine on a piece of farm equipment when I was a kid the thing would idle all day powering the small tractor no problem.  They are also very quiet for a motor that size.  That big rope start pulley on the front will also work with a Starter Generator setup, someone who owned it before us had rigged up one off an old Briggs motor and it worked very well.

Hey, I actually got the idea of a Wisconsin from you and your V-4 project. Plus too I have family in Wisconsin (my favorite cousin lives in Hudson).

farmerall

Thank you for the information. I'll be sure to check into this further. I really want to be able to save this engine from the scrap yard. I don't know how much this engine weighs but it looks alot heavier than any K341 ever was. Any ideas on the weight of this thing?

The engine weight is around 110 lbs if it's an AENL.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

The engine weight is around 110 lbs if it's an AENL.

OK, well then maybe I won't have to buy a engine hoist should I transplant this thing. That'll save me a few dollars. :handgestures-thumbupright:

posifour11

OK, well then maybe I won't have to buy a engine hoist should I transplant this thing. That'll save me a few dollars. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Nah, you need an engine hoist anyway. Just because. ;)

• Like 1