Sign in to follow this  
papa

K91 carburetor - '60 Wheel Horse

papa

Briefly; The carb that was installed on my 1960 Suburban w/K91 was obviously the incorrect unit. Neither the throttle or choke linkage aligned correctly. I have a spare K91, so I pulled the carb, disassembled and cleaned it. It was pretty bad inside, but i'm hoping it will survive. In researching repair kits and such, I referenced the numbers - which seems to indicate that my carb is not for a K91 after all. The stamped number is G230500 - which indicates it's for a K181. I'm guessing I need a G220517. Is that correct?

The G230500 fits the K91 just fine, and may work, but isn't it possible that it has a larger venturi than the G220517? If true, low speed will suffer because of it. Especially since this tractor will spend most of its time at over 5000 ft. elevation.

So, does the G230500 and G220517 have the same venturi diameter?

sorekiwi

I'll probably just add to the confusion here.... :banghead:

I have 2 carbs here that are easy to look at - the others are on tractors. Its pretty hard to get something into the venturi to measure it, but my measurement should be within .010" or so.,

One is from a K161 (Blue) service motor and has no number, the other is supposedly off a K91 #G234253. I measure both venturi's as around .555" and the bore at the throttle plate at .800".

By the way, both these carbs work much better on my H55 Tecumseh than the Tecumseh carb!

Kelly

Do the small kohler carbs bolt on ok?? I've been thinking of trying that. on my 656

sorekiwi

Do the small kohler carbs bolt on ok?? I've been thinking of trying that. on my 656

Yep, bolts right up. Cant remember what I did with the throttle linkage, I think I just made it work for a test drive. But the Carter carb worked way better than the Walbro...

papa

I measure both venturi's as around .555" and the bore at the throttle plate at .800".

That should give me some numbers to compare. Thank you

Also, the tiny holes in the main jet needle may be plugged or restricted. Any idea where I can purchase a replacement needle?

sorekiwi

Also, the tiny holes in the main jet needle may be plugged or restricted. Any idea where I can purchase a replacement needle?

Years ago I had a needle break off when I tried to remove it. I managed to get a new one through the local JD Dealer (the nearest Kohler supplier at the time).

I've always been able to get them clear using aerosol carb cleaner (with the plastic tube attached) and compressed air. You can see the solvent come out the holes when they are clear.