Ryanflathead45

Rear Tire/Wheel Options for a GT-14

Ryanflathead45

Our GT-14 has the 27x9.50x15 turf saver tires on the back.  One tire started to leak real bad,  So I pulled it off and took it to the tire shop to break the bead and put in a tube.  The my friend at the tire shop said the inside of the tire was shot and real wore out and rough.  He was not sure how long the tube would hold up.

So I was looking at new tires online.  Wow they want and arm and a leg for them...

What are good choices for tires for a GT-14?

Are there any wheels that I could swap out that in a different size that tires are cheaper for?

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Kelly

Look at car or small truck tires, use a tape measure to get your size, and go tire shopping, I'm sure you can find a nice used pair at a tire shop

pacer

if you can stand 30" in height on it then heres a really nice AG tire at a quite reasonable price --- I've got them on my 1054 seen in my avatar, they are a pretty snug fit but look pretty wicked, I have a good pic of them mounted if you'd like.

http://stopandgotires.com/modelsize.asp?ProductCode=%27FA512%27

neil

D+o you have the wide Rims on your GT14 ?

Kelly

I think all the GT14's came with the wide rims.

Brrly1

Kelly, your right but, one never knows what could have been done after the fact. Shall we say 953, 1054 rims could have been put in place of the GT rims. As I am sure you know this.

Ryanflathead45

As far as I know it has the stock wheels on it.

I thought about the car tires but I see some on a GT-14 one time and the looked odd.  Maybe if I could find some with flat tread like a snow tire or something.

I'm not sure if I can fit 30 inch tall tires I'll have to look

Killer 2000 Chevy

My 1054 has car tires on it and I hate it. I picked up a set of used ags from a friend and haven't installed them yet. I feel your pain on the prices. The friend I got the tires from put a set of 15" skid steer tires on his C-195 and they look awesome. I just needed something to get me by for a while.

Ryanflathead45

Killer 2000 Chevy,  What do you hate about having the car tires on there?  What size are they?  They look like a close size match to me.  The GT-14 that I seen with car tires before had some that were way too big and looked out of place.

pacer

My 1054 came to me with 15" car tires on it and I knew immediately that they HAD to go! Yuck! I really wanted Ags and after much searching found them at stopandgo tires.

I also have a D-180 with 15's on it and when the original Ags dry rotted a couple years ago I chose the skid steer type. IIRC they are 27"  they were something like $250 - they look good too.

post-9681-0-49816200-1390792348.jpg

post-9681-0-17653700-1390792465_thumb.jp

Killer 2000 Chevy

I just think they don't look right. I guess they work in a pinch though. The tires are 205/60's and the size looks right on the tractor.

Kelly

When I said car or light truck tires I didn't mean every day run of the mill street tires, I ment a more aggressive All season or snow tires, you get the right tire and it will bite very well but not tear up your lawn. 

Brrly1

If I recall Miller Tire out of Wauseon, Ohio has American Farmers for the shall we say 953,1054. These tires are just a little bit wider than the original. I believe was like a 6" width I believe these are I want to say 7.60 width. Check it out there on the net but who isn't. I believe they were asking $70 a tire. Good luck

Brrly1

What the heck, where abouts in Indiana are you? Give me an idea if your close, I just might have something for you? I'm in Toledo, Ohio. If I'm lucky your in the NE corner. We'll see?

mrc

hi pacer,  nice looking D series.  and i like the tires on the 1054 too!   regards mike in mass.

Ryanflathead45

Kelly,  I'm not worried about messing up the yard..  The GT is a fulltime plow rig, and even has chains on it all the time.  I think I'll start checking the tire shop used racks for some mud and snow tires in 205/60 size like Killer 2000 Chevy has on his.

He ones on it now are working for now,  I'm just trying to get the best options for when they give up the fight for good.

Burly,  I'm in east central Indiana.  Kinda far for where you are.  Probably 3 or 4 hours

Edited by Ryanflathead45

Jim Turner
On 1/26/2014 at 10:17 PM, pacer said:

My 1054 came to me with 15" car tires on it and I knew immediately that they HAD to go! Yuck! I really wanted Ags and after much searching found them at stopandgo tires.

I also have a D-180 with 15's on it and when the original Ags dry rotted a couple years ago I chose the skid steer type. IIRC they are 27"  they were something like $250 - they look good too.

post-9681-0-49816200-1390792348.jpg

post-9681-0-17653700-1390792465_thumb.jp

I really like the look of these tires on the 1054. Probably work good on the GT-14 too. I found some other skid steer tires online that are taller at 28" vs 27" and would better match correct height for a GT-14 and work good on the D series: https://tiresshipped2you.com/products/carlisle-trac-chief-r-4-industrial-tire-28x8-50-15-6-ply?currency=USD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6-SDBhCMARIsAGbI7UjqLqsQYa5Ti5CkG0l-48R-lgIL9tJmNDXgaLG24qGy5yf2uNki9sYaAq6uEALw_wcB&fbclid=IwAR3YyA3L31I7RK_2gnCGcd_lfZUlixxuXQGFA_Mu7s1slwDprdt7jbBjp6U

Edited by Jim Turner

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:              Don't know if the skid steer tires would fit the narrow rear rims on your 1054. @PeacemakerJack's father put a pair of 7.60-15 ags on his 1054 and they looked great. Perhaps he can fill you in on the source. 

• Like 1

pacer

Re: 15" tires.........

Geez, that is so long ago that I'm a bit fuzzy on recalling detail ...  But I can say that the ag tire on the 1054 was a great choice. As far as fit, that tire (American Farmer 7.50x15) was exactly 30" tall and I seem to remember it had some 3" clearance -- just almost perfect.

But!! I dont know where you would get that tire! I recall when I was researching tires during that time I was told several times that 15" tires were becoming more and more scarce - they just wasnt making them. And this morning after a brief search, I could not find it in the American Farmer listings.

Perhaps one of the other guys here knows if they are available ...........

You might start a new thread about it, sometimes these old threads will get passed by.

Lee1977

The 15" tires from American Farmer are not R-1. They are called specialty for ground  driven implements the size is 760 x 15 I-3  C 30" diameter x 7.9" wide. Simple Tire has them.

Jim Turner
On 4/17/2021 at 7:38 AM, 953 nut said:

:twocents-02cents:              Don't know if the skid steer tires would fit the narrow rear rims on your 1054. @PeacemakerJack's father put a pair of 7.60-15 ags on his 1054 and they looked great. Perhaps he can fill you in on the source. 

Your right the skid steer tires probably would not fit the 1054. Those 7.6-15 do look great and probably best option I will order a set. I did find some 28-8.5-15 skid steer tires that would look good on that D series or even a GT-14. But the 7.6-15's Not sure if they would fit under the fenders of the GT-14 Looks like not as much room under those as the 1054.

Edited by Jim Turner