Kelly

Blower fell apart

Kelly

Yep just what I said the tall shoot fell off the blower, as it did so I just staired out the window of the cab at it, then shut the blower down to go see WTF just happened, well there is a steel ring about 5/16" thick the shoot rides on, and at some point the welds broke and someone JB welded it back in place, I've owned the blower about 3 years now and never had a issue, but this is the first winter I have used it much, we have lots of snow this year, lucky for me I was done for the day, I need to tear it apart to fix it, but for now I have another tall shoot blower I will rob parts off, if they are the same it's for a XI series tractor, no pictures yet but I will get some when I go back out.   

chazm

Well that sucks :bitch: .Keep us posted Kelly...I guess on a lighter note... the JB weld held for 3 years :confusion-scratchheadblue:

• Like 2

can whlvr

so do you know where to get parts :ychain:  :ychain:

• Like 5

Fun Engineer

so do you know where to get parts :ychain:  :ychain:

:text-yeahthat:

AMC RULES

In a bind...

Jdogs horse ranch can probably help you out.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Kelly

I can fix what is broke, so no parts needed, but as I said for now I'm going to rob them off another blower, I have no idea how long the JB weld has been on it. 

squonk

When I bought my 73 12 I noticed the right hub was loose. Pulled off the wheel and half of the hub came with it. P.O. had cracked the hub and JB'd back together but the JB stuck to the wheel. No big deal as it had a light duty hub on it so I replaced with a HD style. I called the guy later with a question and asked him about Ezra's wheel. He said oops,I forgot to tell you about that!  :rolleyes:  :auto-swerve:

Kelly

Well I took a few to see what is what, and the XI parts will not fit, so I tore apart this one, I need to clean the JB weld off and drill some holes to weld the ring back on, the shop is warming up right now. 

More later

post-85-0-21226500-1390755139_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-97750900-1390755259_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-27400900-1390755302_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-77890800-1390755349_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

squonk

Lots of blower break down threads this year. You can tell it's been a rough winter! 

Kelly

I havn't used my blower this much in a few years.

After getting the shop up to 40 deg. so I could work, I cleaned all the JB weld off, and then I drilled holes in line with the orig. welds then used a cut off wheel to connect the holes to make slots, I was not worried about being perfect just lined up so when I welded it would weld to the back of the ring, I also shot some red on the bare metal, I turned the heat on the welder up so it would burn in good, then after it cooled some I scuffed it all and shot some more red on everything, nothing fancy it's too cold to do a good job painting, just to help keep rust away, now let the paint dry and reassemble, not bad about a hour work time, not counting letting things warm up. 

post-85-0-84696300-1390763017_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-40971900-1390763096_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-15313900-1390763260_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-04617900-1390763411_thumb.jpg

smoreau

just don.t brake them plastic retainers, They are not cheep! had to replace all 3 on mine and it was like $46

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Geeeez, and I thought I was the only ne having problems. Go get em kelly.

Glenn

Hydro

Nice looking repair Kelly.  I got mine fixed in the nick of time last month.  Had no place left to push snow.  I'm up to almost 40 hours of seat time this winter between using the plow and now the thrower.

We've had foot and a half since Saturday.

Kelly

Put the blower back together fri night and blew 8" of snow with it sat, and a final clean up of another 2-3" today still holding together, while it was down I built a extension for the turning handle, I built it 14" long so it is in the cab not in front of it, much better !!!!!  

post-85-0-48875000-1391373429_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-84965700-1391373640_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:text-coolphotos:  Looks like that :wh: is earning it's oats this year Kelly.  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Kelly

This one sets all summer, I don't even take the blower off it, this is the most I have ever used this tractor.

dandan111

Well done. Rock on!

varosd

"Fab"ulous :D

Michael D Conley

I had a situation similar to what you had last week. I broke 2 of the Chute retainers and it proceeded to bend the chute swivel ring really bad. Couldn't figure out why all the sudden the chute stopped indexing with the hand crank. Found out why after I pulled the old 79 C161 back in the garage. Tried to pound the chute swivel ring back flat but decided it was done. Had almost $120.00 in parts to replace the damage. Would recommend everyone to pull there chutes and take a look. They develop a hairline crack at the fastener screw area in the plastic retainers and the next thing you know it costs major coin. Picked up the blower and rear weights for $200 so pain was felt a lot less. Up and running again but this winter in Indiana is killing me. More snow on the way. Nice

• Like 1