Justinc

Almost burned up the Eaton...

Justinc

Or so I thought, Got a little snow the other day so when I got home from work I decided to do some plowing. Checked the engine oil then fired it up. While idling I thought to myself " I better check the hydro fluid, aint looked at the dip stick for at least 6 months", so I shut it off and waited 5 mins then I pulled the dipstick and low and behold it was damn near bone dry, prob 1/16" worth of oil on the very end. Didn't need much though, maybe half a quart to bring it back up to full. Let it set overnight after using it and checked it again the next day, just a hair over the full line. No leaks that I can see, nothing dripping on the floor, could it have possibly just burned some of it? I know the Eaton in there now is a second hand unit (Previous owner burned up the original, said it was from plowing snow all those years) but it all seems to work as it should, plenty of pulling/pushing power.

Should I be concerned or just keep an eye on it like I do the engine oil? Also, when doing things such as plowing or hauling a loaded dump cart, where the tranny is working hard, I should be running full or close to full throttle to keep strain off the pump, right?

illinilefttackle

If its not broke-don't fix it. If it seems to work OK-just consider yourself lucky. These are very durable machines, but they cannot last without regular maintenance- I have a routine before starting-check engine oil, battery connections, etc

Then when I raise the seat to check the fuel level, takes about a minute to check Hydro level. Then check tires, belts. If you take care of your Horse-it will take care of you.- Al

leeave96

Probably nothing to worry about.

You might have a axle seal slightly leaking or a tad of a drip on the tranny drain plug.

Kelly

What Eaton ?? the 1100 orthe 700?? I'm guessing the 1100 if so they hold 5 qts so it was not real low, if it was the 700 they only hold about a qt and I would guess it would not move very well being half empty 

AMC RULES

With the ambient temps we've been seeing lately...

I doubt it will be overheating anytime soon.   :sad-fever:

• Like 1

312Hydro

My understanding is that the Eaton 1100's are to be run at full throttle.

boovuc

Hi Justin,

On your question on full throttle operation.........yes you should operate it at full throttle. Technically, every one of these tractors including the 8 speeds should be run at full throttle. It is best for both the motor and the transmissions. The motor for best cooling and working RPM's and the transmission for splashing the gear oil in the gear drives and for full cooling of the hydros.

Justinc

I'm assuming it's the 1100, unless the old timer I bought it from put a 700 in it, if that's even possible.

Noted about full throttle operating, sounds better there anyways lol.

Yea it still moved fine and I plowed with it 2 weeks ago and it was fine then as well. Lessen learned, check it every time just to be safe, it takes maybe 30 seconds.

Thanks guys

Kelly

What machine is this in ?? and if it has hyd lift it is a Eaton 1100, the 700 never had hyd lift.

boovuc

I believe Justin has a 520-H, Kelly so he knows he has an 1100.