AMC RULES

Early Schnacke?

AMC RULES

Any parts available for an early Schnacke (K-90) recoil?    

I'm looking to find a suitable replacement for the pull cable, and recoil spring used on this unit. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.    :thanks: 

post-3498-0-80455900-1390331338_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-28170300-1390331394_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-45797600-1390331445_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-82345400-1390331486_thumb.jp

Jake Kuhn

get with joe papke, he has most of the stuff. If you mail it to him he can fix it for you.

• Like 1

fireman

I have a couple original Kohler pull handle/cables in stock! They are super hard to find and not sure if I really want to part with them. I do know that someone reproduces the handle. Might be Glen. Keep your eye on Ebay for the spring and possibly the other parts. That's where I found these!

DSCN0353_zps8b298c45.jpg

• Like 1

russtiron

Try This e bay auction I have purchased this from the seller before

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Yep, :scared-eek: I keep looking at that one.   :thanks:

buckrancher

I have some cables Craig glen makes the handles

Brian

Edited by buckrancher

groundhog47

Say Craig, I'll see if the one at scrap yard is same (on a Wisconsin engine), has been five days. I'll get back by PM if is that type and still there.

Edited by groundhog47

VinsRJ

That is way to much for the recoil... next without experience these recoils are not for the faint of heart. They do require a little know how to take apart and put back together.

Also be advised that these recoils are like the worst... they work great for a while and then give up the ghost quick. If the tractor is a runner, I personally would locate a Fairbanks or equivalent.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

It came to in pieces, disassembled by the PO.

Seemed to me pretty straight forward to reassemble...no problems there.

Checked the parts diagram in the gen set manual, seems like it went back together correctly.

Rebuilt my other Fairbanks Morse recoil this past summer using a $2 Tecumseh replacement recoil spring from Ebay...worked like a charm. Seems to me like something with similar ends on it would work well in this application too. I'm thinking two dollars...I'll roll the dice, and take another chance.   :confusion-shrug:

post-3498-0-48477400-1390412435_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Ken B

I'm with Vin, they are kinda fragile. I've done mine a few times. I get to do it again soon because when I went to start my RJ at the Kent show last yr. the K90 kicked back and in the process one of the ears broke off the pull handle. (I think Vin and Matt got to witness that) The rubber was hard. I got cut from it and it hurt like hell. Give it a shot and try too fix it yourself, that way when it does come unwound at a show you'll be able to fix it yourself. It will probably take you a few times to get it right but you'll learn something new.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Were the internal of these all the same...or are there a couple different models out there? 

I found some online picts where the dog cup looks different than mine.    :scratchead:

post-3498-0-27665500-1390514440_thumb.jp

dclarke

This is what's on my K91, Craig. Looks like there's at least two different models.

006_zps36ce6831.jpg

This is what it looks like when I pull the cable.
007_zpsfad65ea7.jpg

And this is the nut
009_zpsd2f0c4c0.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:thanks: for sharing the picts Denny. 

Yep, yours looks the same as mine...what size is the nut? 

Seems to be the only piece I'm missing. 

dclarke

The nut's 7/16" S.A.E. thread.

011_zps7a2b4ec5.jpg

012_zps1c17bbf3.jpg

AMC RULES

Perfect, I need one of those.

Thank you Denny.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

buckrancher

nuts are hard Craig you may be able to modify a class 8 coupling nut

• Like 1

dclarke

Could you make one from a piece of hex rod (McMaster Carr 6512K43) Then have it hardened? :confusion-shrug: ...........I don't know much about metals, just a thought.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

I thought something was up with these units...being that the Kohler manual parts diagram I included in the initial post here shows a two piece drive nut setup. I didn't think that would end up being the correct drive for this unit...which is why I asked if there were more than one version of the Schnacke recoil out there.

I'm hoping someone can post here the part number for the correct inch and a half drive nut I'm now searching for?   :thanks:

AMC RULES

Ahh...there you go...thanks Terry.  :handgestures-thumbsup:  

• Like 1

clintonnut

Craig,

I have those drive nuts and the recoil springs for these starters....

Charlie

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:text-woo:  Doin' my happy dance over here.  :banana-linedance:

:thanks:    PM sent Charle.  

AMC RULES

I'm with Vin, they are kinda fragile. I've done mine a few times. I get to do it again soon because when I went to start my RJ at the Kent show last yr. the K90 kicked back and in the process one of the ears broke off the pull handle. (I think Vin and Matt got to witness that) The rubber was hard. I got cut from it and it hurt like hell. Give it a shot and try too fix it yourself, that way when it does come unwound at a show you'll be able to fix it yourself. It will probably take you a few times to get it right but you'll learn something new.

Is there one specific weak point that keeps repeatedly breaking Ken...ie; cable, spring, handle?

What parts should I keep on hand?

Edited by AMC RULES

VinsRJ

Basically everything you have stated Craig... If you are going to use the recoil on a tractor that is driven often, I would use a different recoil. Keep the Schnacke for the show machine

Like Jake said Joe Papke has all of the parts in stock as well as the nuts.

Lane Ranger

These Schnacke's are an interesting recoil setup.    I just started investigating the one that was on my  RK acquisition from Oklahoma.   The  three dogs that 'catch"  the large hex nut attached to the crankshaft must make a tighter grip, pull then a recoil with a cup on it.   But the internal parts, spring, cable and three dog setup seem to be weak in some spots.  I have  Kohler recoil and cup on one RJ with a K91 motor.    This RJ has a K 90 motor and a Schnacke and I may have to take VingRJ's suggestion and put a Kohler type on this RJ as I plan on just working with it -not a show candidate.

post-339-0-56625100-1394481430_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-86388400-1394481445_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-49592500-1394481460_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-06486500-1394481501_thumb.jpg

• Like 1