Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

Wimpy Lights

MaineDad

Hey guys,

Does anyone else who owns a C Series think the front lights are kind of wimpy? Man compared to the 314-8, the C-160 is very dim. The contacts are all cleaned and I installed new bulbs.

Anyone have any ideas on how to brighten things up? It get dark up here in Maine early :banghead:

WheelHorse_of_course

Hey Micah,

the pre-black hood lights were for show! Well they do provide some visibility so you can be seen if you are on the road, but are no use for you to see anything.

If you put in brighter bulbs you will melt the plastic.

I consider mowing should be done in daylight for safety reasons. However I need more light when snow plowing. I bought some driving lights that I intend to mount to the frame somehow. Don't know when I will get to it though! :banghead:

Teddy da Bear

You can obtain the same lights I did at Walmart.

They fit in the standard light cover opening.

See my GT-14 posting in modifications area.

Together they are 110 watts halogen lights.

MaineDad

Thanks for the link!

kj4kicks

Yep, that's one brand. In the meantime, I did look at Advance Auto parts a few weeks ago, and they have the same thing (maybe a different brand though).

Should be cheaper than ebay, with no shipping and no wait time.

Have fun!

E.

Kelly

I had thought about mounting driving lights with magnet's like for ant. base's and pluging in to the orig. plug or even aligator clips to the batt. for plowing snow, if you have nice paint, you could put felt on the bottoms.

daemon2525

I am wanting (needing) to add headlights to my 1057. I really do not like the Bug-eyed look of them. I am going to add driving lights to the sides of the hood.

Oh, well, I have to do it. I want to snow plow in the dark, and play around, and here is the worst part.

I had a party the other day that included a hay ride for the kids. I had to let my

neighbor pull the wagon with his SEARS, because he had headlights.

Buzz

I had a party the other day that included a hay ride for the kids. I had to let my

:D:banghead::USA::jaw::omg::thumbs::lol::jaw::lol::D:D

BPjunk

I woulda' held a flashlight between my teeth or duct taped a railroad lantern to the hood.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

daemon2525

I woulda' held a flashlight between my teeth or duct taped a railroad lantern to the hood.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Sorry guys, It won't happen again

frontlights.jpg

rheadlights.jpg

Buzz

The lights look good. :banghead: Did you have to drill the holes or were they there? Doesn't matter, holes can be filled if necessary.

Sarge

I have given headlights a lot of thought on my 1277 , just don't like the bug eyes much and haven't really seen any better solutions . Recently, on my other project 4x4 I ran across a link to some very bright LED's . They do offer them in short strips, nearly identical to the hood's grill slots . Might just go that route, just a few of the upper slots filled in with these brilliant white LED's ...and maybe some underneath out of sight as well as in the back .. SuperBright LED's

Sarge

daemon2525

The lights look good. :banghead: Did you have to drill the holes or were they there? Doesn't matter, holes can be filled if necessary.

The holes were already there so I did not worry much about ruining the hood, as they were there already.. When I bought it, it had rectangular fog lamps mounted in the hole. With the long side up and down. I did not like that much either.

I don't really like it, but don't know what else to do.

I did see a set of the same wattage driving lights in the auto parts store that were much smaller than these.

I thought that it might be neat to mount lights from an old FARMALL tractor. They were round and larger than the ones that I chose. That was the look that I was going for.

MaineDad

Has anyone come up with something coming up off the frame for lights? These lights just will not do and I cannot find those ones from Wally World as discussed above. :banghead:

Craig Arndt

Those round lights with the red backs are the nicest ones I've seen. I like them a lot. I think those look great. Bet you won't have a problem seeing anything with that kinda candlepower upfront.

Nice 1057, beauty! :USA: :banghead:

Teddy da Bear

Those red lights are exactly the type I bought at Walmart for my other tractor....the 1054A. Only the Walmart versions are black.

kpinnc

:banghead:

To keep from having to do just that, I've been working on a bracket to install aftermarket lights on a 310, and my 514, since they will be my mowers.

I typically make small (and some not-so-small) changes to my tractors due to neccessity, or just a lack of parts down here. But, I prefer to make these changes in a "bolt-on" fashion, so I'm not cutting something up.

I found a set of 55W/ each driving lights at Wally world for $14.99. They come with an illuminated switch, and enough wire to mount them at one end of an aicraft carrier, to the other with the battery and switch. :USA:

I threw together a rough bracket to mount them on, and it bolts in the factory holes for the lights under the hood:

muledrive002.jpg

They aren't a perfect fit, but there is an issue of heat, so I'll close them in more later.

muledrive001.jpg

I don't have to tell you what a difference these little fellas make. This pic was taken during the day. It's just dark because of the brightness of the lights:

muledrive004.jpg

The lights I have appear to be roughly the same size as the ones TDB has in his thread on the GT-14, so they can be modified for use on a C-series type housing as well.

I'll post more pics when I'm all done, but you get the idea.

Kevin

WheelHorse_of_course

Micah,

Have a look a JC Whitney's web site. You may need to call and have them fax you pictures or a catalog. The have some lights with an optional "flexible conduit kit". Not sure what the flexibility is, but just maybe that would do it. No picture of th conduit kit though.

Kevin, do you have a picture of what those lighs looked like before mounting? What are these, tiny rectangular lights.

ALL,

2x 55 watts = 110 watts

Watts/volts = Amps

110/12 = 9.2 amps.

This won't hurt anything, but depending on the charging system you may run down your battery using them. Not a problem for the occasional night mow, but not good for hours of snow plowing.

:banghead:

kpinnc

Kevin, do you have a picture of what those lighs looked like before mounting? What are these, tiny rectangular lights.

I think I've still got the box somewhere. I'll look around for it tomorrow.

And yes, they are small rectangular lights. Walmart also carries a 4 inch round version, but that's about 1/4 inch too small to mount in the factory bracket.

Kevin

WheelHorse_of_course

Fascinating.

My Charger currently has 2 rectangular dome lights mounted in it. These are just as week as the original arrangment, but I did not have to buy a bucket since mine was gone.

These look promising, though I hate to buy from wallyworld.

kpinnc

These look promising, though I hate to buy from wallyworld.

I can understand that. Just FYI- there's similar setups at places like Advance auto parts for around $20...

Kevin

daemon2525

Those red lights are exactly the type I bought at Walmart for my other tractor....the 1054A. Only the Walmart versions are black.

They were black when I got them .. I painted them red.

If you look closely at the first picture , you can see the piece of scrap

paneling that I had under them.

I did take them apart before painting.

WheelHorse_of_course

Micah,

It looks to me like Kevin's solution would be best, unless you are looking for authenticity (in which case I guess the halogen bulb solution would be best).

Since I have no light "bucket" (reflector/socket assembly) this looks like the ideal solution for me. Not sure when I will have the spare cash so till then I'll stick with my dome lights! :USA:

That broccoli on your web site looks taaasty!

How are the pumpkins doing? Pumpkins were a real cash crop for us.

cheers :omg: :banghead: