Sign in to follow this  
rondo

Snow plow questions coming

rondo

I don't have pics right now, but I'll probably get around to some in the next week or so. About three weeks ago I was playing around with deck removal and plow blade installation, thanks to some great instructional help from Karl in the Tech forum.

Got the deck off without a hitch and the plow install went well...initially. The tach-a-matic rear hitch was easy, but I couldn't seem to find where the lift bar hooks to the tractor. Mine is the 42" blade ( as opposed to the pictorial for the 48"), and I'm not sure if everything is the same, but the lift bar that's pictured in Karl's instructions is a short (about 5 1/2") piece and I can see where it would sit right underneath the lift arm on the tractor - for easy install. The lift bar on mine is about 12" or so (it's removable) and fits right into the bracket on the plow, but I can't figure where it goes on the tractor end. Seeing as I have a 1974 B-100 I'm thinking that the hook-up may be a little different, so maybe someone with the same frame/model might have some pointers.

As I said, I'll try again in a week or so and post some pics, but in the mean time, maybe somebody will have some suggestions.

By the way, wire brushed and painted the plow yesterday, I'll post pics of that too - came out, not too bad.

Thanks gang.

Teddy da Bear

Mike... I have a B-100 and have used my snow blades on it.

Iam not sure what you are trying to tell us without pics....lol

I can provide some pictures of my GT-14 with a plow. It is the only

tractor with a plow at the moment. The connection principles are

the same. But I did not want to confuse you.

Sparky

If you need to get the plow hooked up right away and dont need down pressure you could use a short lenghth of chain. Both of my plows are hooked to the lift mechanism that way.

I dont need down pressure.

Mike..........

Sparky

Heres 2 pics of my hookup. A left shot and a right shot.

Mike.......

plow019.jpg

plow020.jpg

Kelly

The long link, I think :banghead: was ment for the older tractors, with out the T-bar lift (the arm that the chains are hooked to in the pic's) and the long link hooks to the top arm on the rock shaft or what ever it's called? you should be able to use it, but may have to tie up the T-bar, or remove it, two E clips and it comes right out.

linen beige

The long link, I think :banghead: was ment for the older tractors, with out the T-bar lift (the arm that the chains are hooked to in the pic's) and the long link hooks to the top arm on the rock shaft or what ever it's called? you should be able to use it, but may have to tie up the T-bar, or remove it, two E clips and it comes right out.

Kelly's right. But I think there were a few different lengths of the solid lift bars, meant for different combinations of tractors/ blades. If you want to use the solid bar just raise your lift all the way, raise up the blade as high as you should need it lifted, and measure the distance from the blade mounting hole to the mounting hole in the rockshaft. This is the length bar you need. If you don't need down pressure just hook it up with the chains as shown in the pics.

rondo

First of all, thanks everyone. I was going to go with the chain but figured I'd give it one more try with the hardware that I got with the tractor. Here's kind of what it looks like.

http://910911034.jpg

That bar is about 12" long as opposed to the 5 1/2" that would seem standard.

So I went to hook it up.

http://910911037.jpg

As you see, it goes straight up instead of hooking to the deck lift arm.

http://910911039.jpg

This is where it attaches to the upper lift arm on the tractor.

http://910911042.jpg

So, the deck lift arm is not connected to anything here.

A little different than I first thought, but it works really well.

I'm now ready for the snow (it was 75 here today, but so what)!

http://910911050.jpg

My wife's been ragging on me - the blade's all shiny new lookin and the tractor's just a little...dull, she says.

Teddy da Bear

You might want to remove that lift rod. It may get bound up and bent during lifting operation.....ummmm....like mine did. :banghead:

Kelly

looks good, with it hooked up like that if you push forward on the lift handle you will be applying down pressure, while you plow.

rondo

Yea Mike, I'm gonna yank the lower lift rod (t-bar) today. Won't be taking it out without water wheels though. Nothing like Galveston (I feel for the Gulf area) - but we're floating out my way.

Kelly, the down pressure is what I was looking for. I'm sure I could push some snow without it, but I'd like to maybe "dig in" once in awhile and move some earth, maybe.

TT

I'm gonna yank the lower lift rod (t-bar) today.

You can do what you want, but I just tie the "T bar" up to the frame when using the solid lift link on a dozer blade. It's a lot easier than removing it - and then trying to find all of the pieces to reinstall it later. :banghead:

rondo

That was actually my intent all along TT. I'd be losing parts left and right if'n I removed things steada just movin 'em. :banghead:

Thanks.

KyBlue

That lift rod looks kinda cobbled together.. Might wanna pickup a replacment.. I had to when I snapped mine in half.. hahaha Anger Management issues I tell ya!

Good Idea on runnign the bar up. For mine I just used a peice cut off a old universal muffler hanger.. has multiple holes.. and it was free..haha