smoreau

Project for my 518, KWIK WAY LOADER

smoreau

Got a little done today on the loader. Cut down one of the arms and did some test fitting. Looks good and I am pleased with the look so far. Also I picked up some steel and had it bent to shape for the new loader bucket. Just wish I had more time to work on this project.
gy2ebeny.jpg
ny8avava.jpg
e5ujezep.jpg
aga4yjav.jpg
9ubu7uza.jpg
emy5y7yr.jpg

know I need to cut down the other side to match this side, But the snow is coming down and I need to get some seat time! :dance:

Edited by smoreau
  • Like 1

Martin

its getting there Scott......

i envy the fabrication skills and equipment you and Tom have. i get by with what i have, but it would be nice sometimes to get a little more serious with the heavy duty stuff....

looking forward to more progress.

hope you have fun out there getting some seat time in...... :thumbs:  :woohoo:

• Like 1

dodgemike

I agree. All my spare time is spent pricing hydraulic components. Unless I knew where something came from, I would just as soon buy new and not have to rebuild everything. In a perfect world I would have a dedicated

loader tractor and plow tractor.

smoreau

Well I didn't get out in the shop yesterday, had to work as overtime has come back into play again. I did get a chance to look at the cylinders to check there condition. The two short ones are junk and the two long are border line. The short ones should have about 11" - 12" of stroke. I can only get 8" Tried to get the cylinder apart to find out why and discovered that the end of the tube is bent over not allowing the headland to come out. There are some really bad pits in the rods that will take out the seals, and then I found these under a rubber boot held on with hose clamps.

upyhudad.jpg

yzeqepy7.jpg

Some nasty welds and the rusted rods

manunady.jpg

nu9umuqe.jpg

y3ezy4as.jpg

The top rod is on the long cylinders that have full movement, but will have some leaks on the rods. So I spend the evening looking at new cylinders.

• Like 1

smoreau

My lift cylinders are 1.75" x 24" x 1.125" with a retracted length of 31.5"  The :wh:  kwik way loader according to the manual they should be 2" x 16.5" x 1.125" with a retracted length  of 24.5". so mine are longer with smaller pistons. The short cylinders look to be 2" x 11" x 1.125" with a retracted length of 20.5", and these are the same. If I am going to replace the two bucket cylinders, I should replace the bottom two also.

These are what I came up with from surplus center.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Cylinders/Double-Acting-Hydraulic-Cylinders/1-75X23-12X1-06-DA-HYD-CYL-9-7158.axd

and

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Cylinders/Double-Acting-Hydraulic-Cylinders/1-75X13-12X1-DA-HYD-CYL-102532-9-8374.axd

the short one is a little long and the long one is a little shorter then my original one. the piston size are smaller then the WH kwik way,  But the price is not bad and with some modifications, they should work ok.

Give me your opinions.

Edited by smoreau

shorts

Scott,

The replacement cylinders should work just fine from the hydraulic side, you already have the 1.750 pistons on the lift cylinders if I read your post correctly and the bucket dump cylinders shouldn't be affected by the smaller pistons, proportionatly smaller rod Dia. should be a wash also.

To modify the body or rod lengths just rework the outboard ends/attachment points making sure to protect the seals from excessive heat and the chromed rods from weld spatter.

Check with your welding supplier, their is a paste available that will prevent weld spatter from sticking to the chrome but it will not prevent arc thru to a grounded welding bench.

Digger 66

Oh boy! Am I ever watching this!!!

X-2 ^

smoreau

Got some time in the shop today, had to worky in the morning but got off early. Got the two Arms cut down and welded in there new size.

ygehy7a4.jpg

aguhy3uh.jpg

Then I started on the subframe, I removed it from the tractor and installed the cross baron it's correct location. Drilled the holes for for the loader mount plates.

hysy6yjy.jpg

Then I put everything back together to weld in the cross bar on the loader arms

de6utesa.jpg

abaha2u2.jpg

8u8u6a3e.jpg

a3avaga8.jpg

nuhuse3y.jpg

Coming along good, waiting on the new cylinders and hoses from surplus center, should be here Monday

• Like 4

bowtiebutler956

This really is a fantastic project Scott. FEL's are the ultimate attachment for our little tractors, and I'm sure I speak for all when I say this is a great thread! Its to bad the old cylinders were shot, but at least when your done, you'll have an FEL that is for all purposes, New!

I have a Case 444 that I would love to put one of these on. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

smoreau

Didn't have a lot of time today but did get the bucket built. Just need to weld the inside and make new attachment plates to mount it to the loader.

yty6ady8.jpg

jedeqe3e.jpg

hyde6yga.jpg

husesuve.jpg

zema7u8y.jpg

uhudujy7.jpg

• Like 5

smoreau

Snuck out to get a few more hours on the loader today. I got my surplus center order last Monday.

udaga5y9.jpg

Started to cut the ends off.

ysusebub.jpg
y5ure9u2.jpg

And weld the old ends back on the new cylinders

esejamej.jpg
hunu8uby.jpg
e9ydy7u4.jpg

Mounted them on the loader for a test fit

a5usadep.jpg
5yqamevy.jpg

Made up some brackets to mount the bucket to the loader

9u9a6y3y.jpg
a5a8uhup.jpg

Just need to Make 4 of the holes in the plates square to fit the factory grease able carriage bolts. Then I can weld them on.

Edited by smoreau
  • Like 1

Digger 66

Forgive my questions if they seem "newbish" but , why did you have to cut off the ends of the lower cylinders ? 

Was it the pin-size or a clearance issue  or both ? 

Are your stock spindles stout enough , or will you be moding those too ?

I too wish to build a size specific loader from scratch in the future & am just amassing info  :teasing-signhere: .

Beautiful work so far !

I cant wait to see it all painted & in action :handgestures-thumbupright:

smoreau

As for cutting the ends off: I wanted to use the 3/4" carriage bolts that that the loader already had on it and have the grease fitting in them. The new ones I got were way cheaper the way I bought them from surplus center. To get the correct ones that fit exactly were around $200 each. I got these for around $70 each. The tractor is a 90 520 repowered with a Kohler magnum 18. It has a forward swept front axle with 1" spinals. I put this tractor together for the intention of putting a loader on it.

Link to the build of the tractor. 

rexman72

looking really good

bowtiebutler956

Fantastic Work! Loving this build. :thumbs:

brandonozz

Scott,

Love how the loader is coming along and excellent work!

Let me ask you one question. One complaint about the ark loaders is the inability to carry a full bucket low to the ground (for safety reasons) because the bucket won't tilt back far enough. Is yours going to have more rear tilt than an Ark loader and if not, have you considered moving the pivot point out further on the lower arms to give you more rear-ward tilt?

smoreau

Turned the big 4O today!! Had a great day as I took today off and spent most of the day working on my loader. Then went to pick gabby from school and we went to a very nice dinner with family and friends. It was very nice and the day went better then planed!

So I stated off nice and early and got the brackets welded on the bucket.

zyrahyha.jpg

Then started to make up some brackets to hold the new stainless line on the loader

qyje9a8a.jpg

7ypajyra.jpg

Started to make up the new lines

era9a6yp.jpg

7eve6y9e.jpg

uqydyge7.jpg

unesyde5.jpg

esusu9ap.jpg

7era3ese.jpg

Ran out of stainless tubing, so I pulled the tractor over to chain fall and lifted up the loader with the new bucket on to see how it looked

3u8aqenu.jpg

gyzegyza.jpg

It goes a little higher then I want, so I'm going to remove 2" out of the lift cylinder rods. This is the hight that I want it to be.

bezyhuqy.jpg

pupupu8u.jpg

utugahy7.jpg

2egu8aqu.jpg

Not to bad for 6 hours of work

• Like 6

Dieselcowboy

You will be so happy with this loader on the 520 frame. I use the crap out of mine with a bucket. Just completed making a set of forks for mine this week also.

bowtiebutler956

Very nice work Scott, and I don't blame you for wanting to take a couple inches out of those cylinders! :jaw:  I really like the better than factory, extra clean job your doing routing those stainless hard lines! :thumbs:  :text-coolphotos: 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:  Looking sssoooooooo good.  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

dodgemike

Very professional work!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

smoreau

There has not been any updates on this for a while because I have been too busy at work, doing 7 days and also getting a new stable for the horses! I finally found a house that I am happy with and in the beginning proses and hope to be moved in in about a month. 3.8 acres with a 24 x 40 horse shed

bowtiebutler956

Thats fantastic news on the house, and extra large horse stable Scott! The loader can wait awhile, as you have far more important projects going on. Look forward to seeing pics of the new stable, packed full of horses! :thumbs:

312Hydro

Great fab skills on the FEL and congrats on your new home. :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by 312Hydro

rexman72

that's going to be a lot of fun to use