Jparkes43

To straight pipe or not to straight pipe

Hello on my kawasaki 227-5 17 hp single cylinder i was thinking about putting a straight through pipe on it and people time and time again were mentioning burnt or warped exhaust valves and i have no idea how bad this is or how common it is so i just want to know if i should or shouldn't straight pipe the engine 

thank you 

James 

see my other thread about tachometer gauges 

Edited by Jparkes43

James, not something I've looked into...

Welcome to red square, come and say hello in the euro section!

Mark

Is this a pulling or racing tractor? If so then go for it. But if you plan on mowing and doing yard chores with it I think you'll find the straight pipe to loud and annoying. Do you have neighbors?

:WRS:

Mike.............

Thank you for the welcome I was planning to take it racing and not really for garden driving, I was going to make the pipe long so it wasn't too loud but I thought it would help power

Thank you for replying

James

With a straight through on a petrol engine you could lose a bit of power. Petrol's need some back pressure.

ok thank you all for the replies, I'm just thinking of putting a cutout in the manifold so it can be quite and then on demand or if i want more power i could use a cut out 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By pond195520032003
      This is my 1974 Wheel Horse D-200 with a 20hp twin cylinder Kohler, rear pto, turning brakes, 3pt hitch, ag tires all around, weights all around and a 54" snow/dozer blade! also have a rear finish mower, reat roto tiller, and a Didier 50" sickle bar!
    • By oliver2-44
      I'm thinking about buying a Leak down tester. Looking online they range from $29 to $200+.  Harbor freight sells a Pittsburg brand one for $39. And several other companies sell that same looking one (Different names) for $29 to$49:  There is an OTC brand one for $&9 and $199.

So what do y'all use?  
      Does anyone have the Harbor Freight one?  I'm a little skeptical l, but like the price for the little bit I will use it.   Of course if it's not accurate it a worthless .
    • By JoeB
      Good morning,
      This is my first post.  Several years ago I bought a c120 auto and have used it to mow and snowplow with great success.  The other night in the midst of a snow storm I was in a hurry to get going, and didn't check the oil and didn't give the engine enough time to warm up.  Result seems to be a broken connecting rod, since it cranks now much faster than it did before and won't start when it was a terrific starter before.
      So I'm looking for ways to repair the damage I've done.  I really love the tractor, comparing it to modern ones that feel like tin foil convinces me that I want to fix this iron horse.
      I am in southwest Michigan, and looking for help.
      thanks in advance.

• By Sarge
      Fast question ...

Per the IPL for the 6-1141 and 6-1131 54" & 56" blades - how is everyone pinning the rear blade lock arms so they can't unlock the blade ? I've ran into problems with this thing before wanting to unlock itself and drop the blade half off the tractor. It seems when back dragging rough pavement, especially if I back into a snow bank the thing is moving those locks out of position and allowing the frame to drop off. The only reason it stays at least somewhat under the D is the lift arm , but getting it back into position is no fun due to the weight of this thing and especially out in the snow/cold weather. Last time I had to drag the thing back to a clear area so I could wrestle it back into position, lift the frame and lock it again. I did wire them shut for now, but don't trust it and I use it to back drag quite a bit on rough areas I don't want to ram the cutting edge against and risk damaging the rear axle differential or anything else. Mine has been rebuilt with a new cutting edge of 1055HC and the frame is highly beefed up - most of it is now boxed in and the thing has gained nearly 50lbs of steel. It cuts great, almost too good but that random dropping it off is starting to irritate me - need some ideas here...

The smaller 42" and other frames lock from the other direction - so to speak. The brackets are also drilled to accept large hair pin cotters to keep those locks in place - I see no way the bigger blade frame is designed for that, unless I'm missing something ?

Sarge
    • By giddyap
      This is my first born custom and is still under construction. Only one of the hoods, gutted frame, seat tray and seat are from my recently acquired 551 Suburban. A newer 3 speed transaxle and belt guard will round out the remaining Wheel Horse parts. The front axle is flipped and moved forward 6 inches. Its origin along with the tie rods and steering column comes from a 102 Cub Cadet. Taking 2 steps back for every advance is part of the fun. But now I'm at a loss and overwhelmed at all the V drive pulleys available at Phoenix pulleys. Can anyone suggest what pulley I should use with the 13 hp Predator? Thanks in advance