Sign in to follow this  
handyman

Show me your Leaf Collection system

handyman

Alright guys, I thought I had things figured out. For the past 7 or 8 years I have ben using an original WH rear blower/vac driven off the tractor engine. When I got it, it was just the blower so I added a cover to a yard wagon, made a guard or two and an idler system for the belt. Worked well and could do my whole 1/2 acre lot with moderate leaves without stopping to empty. Well, as you all know, space is always at a premium. I found a Trac-Vac setup for a WH that basically is a 5hp motor vac and bin that all hang on the back of the tractor. I installed and tried today and was kind of disappointed. Works fine but not much capacity. I am not opposed to re-engineering either setup but my main goal is space and capacity. I have a hard time storing a covered wagon basically 11 months of the year. Any thoughts appreciated.

Teddy da Bear

Can you build a multi-purpose trailer/wagon?

I have a single place snowmobile trailer. It normally takes my mini-bass boat to and from the lake. I also use it for my snowmobile. And I do use it to go to auctions and bring home wheel horses.

I often thought of making a lightweight frame/box using the post placements on it. And just covering the framework with a fine mesh. It would then make an excellent trailer to hook my vacuum system to.

I think that would be a good answer for you too.....a multi-use trailer that did not stand around for 11 months.

WheelHorse_of_course

I agree with da bear. I think you could take it one step further.

Make the enclosure out of lightweight nylon (sail cloth) and make a mesh opening at the back. Some strip sof metal or wood and self tapping screws to attached and seal it It should inflate just like the bag on an upright vacuum cleaner.

Folds up when not in use.

:banghead:

handyman

A while bac I saw a setup made by Cyclone-Rake I believe that used a flat wagon that attached rigidly to the tractor. Basically, when the tractor turned, it swung with it with no pivot (Two point hitch versus center pin). The wagon had canvas sides that folded down and the whole thing stood against the wall. Neat but I believe they were in the neighborhood of $1000 or more. I wasn't sure about the rigid mount to the tractor. Here is the link:

http://www.cyclonerake.com/

kpinnc

Well, here's mine. Doesn't fold up or anything, but it dumps from the seat.

IM000599.jpg

IM000601.jpg

It also has the casters so you can drive it up close to obstacles, but you do have to be careful when turning close to the house... :banghead:

I made it from a Kubota grass catcher bin. Pop made the impeller drive up at the shop. Fabbed the rear hitch too.

IM000609.jpg

Works great!

Kevin

BairleaFarm

Nice set up Kevin.

handyman

That is a nice setup. I like the dumping design. Both of my setups don't dump out worth a darn. The wagonis too low and the angle of dump doesn't allow it to flow out unless you drive half way across the yard. The attached setup isn't high enough for th bin to completely pivot and dump. I will try to take some pictures. Is there a lot of stress on the hitch with all the weight and turning. If I totally start from scratch, I had thought about a hitch setup and steerable rear axle so if I turn right, the rear tires turn left to make a tighter radius.

kpinnc

Is there a lot of stress on the hitch with all the weight and turning. If I totally start from scratch, I had thought about a hitch setup and steerable rear axle so if I turn right, the rear tires turn left to make a tighter radius.

Yeah, it's VERY heavy. Kinda wish I'd used a lighter setup at times. Front weights when she's loaded would be nice.

Stress isn't a problem, because the hitch goes all the way up to the frame. Mounts on the tranny and angle iron of the frame.

A word of caution on the "rear steer" idea... It works great for turning, but SUCKS when you need to back up....

Kevin

BPjunk

Wus this the kinda leaf collection system ya' wus thinkin' 'bout? :omg::banghead: .......... :USA:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1220761071.jpg

linen beige

I don't have a single leaf bearing tree on my place, and the few leaves that blow over from the neighbors are an easy one pass mulching for the mower.

Stigian

I just rely on the wind to blow all the leaves away.

Gets quite windy here at times :banghead:

Teddy da Bear

Wus this the kinda leaf collection system ya' wus thinkin' 'bout?
Bill!!! Your not suppose to "collect" the leaves like you do wheel horses! :banghead:

Ok....now I have an impression of this "no pivot point" design. I do not think it would as easy to manuver around tight areas as the trailer's rear end would swing out wrather than follow the tractor through obstacles.

rzeigler

Handyman I was just given the wheel horse blower unit (ID # 07-42vco1-3447)and I can't seem to find any information as to how it's driven with the belt or what size belt or if I need more parts than what I have. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. It will be going on a 73 wheel horse 8-8speed Thanks again.

Duff

Hi, rzeigler!

I don't have the info you need but I'm sure others here will soon. Just wanted to wish you a hearty :USA: !

Duff :banghead:

TT

Handyman I was just given the wheel horse blower unit (ID # 07-42vco1-3447)and I can't seem to find any information as to how it's driven with the belt or what size belt or if I need more parts than what I have. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. It will be going on a 73 wheel horse 8-8speed Thanks again.

The correct model number is 07-42VC01.

If you enter that number exactly as I posted it, you can find the IPL at Toro.com's master parts viewer.

The part number for the drive belt is 107662 and is still a "good number" - but it's listed at a measly $70.79! :USA: I lost my list or I would give you the dimensions. :banghead:

rzeigler

OUCH that hurt! I noticed a few other problems as well the belt apparently goes thru the floor board and mine doesn't have a slot like the diagram shows and there appears to be a few pullies that I don't have either. all said and done I may be better off looking for a different setup. I just thaought it was pretty cool to have an wheel horse original part. I'll keep ahold of it and who knows what may happen. Thanks for the info.

linen beige

The correct model number is 07-42VC01.

If you enter that number exactly as I posted it, you can find the IPL at Toro.com's master parts viewer.

The part number for the drive belt is 107662 and is still a "good number" - but it's listed at a measly $70.79! :USA: I lost my list or I would give you the dimensions. :banghead:

Hey! I got sumptin TT don't! :omg:

Part # 107662; cross section HA, length 116 inches.

Hope ya can find yours soon Terry.

handyman

I started out with just the blower also. I just move my foot rest out on the tubular mount brackets and made a guard with some sheet metal. I also had to fabricate a belt tensioner idler setup for the belt. Kind of a pain to put on and take off each fall so I am contemplating selling the Trac-Vac setup and adding an engine to my WH vacuum.

Jim_M

Not a great picture, but here's mine.

Picture299.jpg

rustbucket

you all seen my new leaf system the "TORO wanna be wheel horse with 6 bushel bagger system. or i just run around with the larger mulcher machine.