Sign in to follow this  
sorekiwi

Brinley?? cultivator

sorekiwi

Picked up this cultivator last week. I think its a Brinley, and there are some traces of white paint left. Didnt take too much too get everything moving again, but it did require oxy-acetylene to loosen any of the nuts.

IMG_1918.jpg

Havent decided what to do for a hitch yet, I dont own a clevis hitch. I may convert the cultivator to a slot hitch attachment, ala the Wheelhorse version. That would give me the option of which tractor I want to hook it to.

I'm slowly collecting attachments now, my long term plan (dream??) is a few acres in the country, with a big enough garden to justify some tractor work. Anyone have a set of disc's lying around? Cheap?? :banghead:

bluetuna08

WHAT A FIND!!!

congarts!

CasualObserver

Mike... rather than modify it... I'd just make a slot hitch to brinly style adapter. pretty simple to make... couple pieces of 1/4" steel and a small piece of steel pipe. There's a picture in this thread from a while back. It's attached backwards to Karl's tractor.

Here's a picture I found in another thread too... it's the bottom left one.

c1cb.jpg

• Like 1

Kelly

That looks like both of the brinly cultivators I have.

Why not make a adaptor to fit your slot hitch? Here's some pic's of one I built.

100_8646.jpg

100_8645.jpg

100_8644.jpg

Only took a couple of hours to figure out my size's, and weld it up from some scrap steel I had in the pile.

• Like 1

WheelHorse_of_course

:USA: Nice!

I agree with the other, a slot to sleeve adapter gives you the best of both.

I have one that I bought on ebay. So far I have no slot hitch equipment, but I will keep looking for bargains! :banghead:

Teddy da Bear

And it looks like neither of the Brinley cultivators I have....lol

sorekiwi

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like the adaptor would be the simplest way to make this work.

One question, whats the extra right angle piece for? (The piece on the left of Kelly's first two pictures, and shown on the hitch in his last picture. Its also on the hitch in Jasons picture.)

linen beige

Everybody else beat me to suggesting an adapter. The adapter also means you don't have to modify the cultivator and maybe lower it's value if you decide to sell it. If it does go up for sale then adding the adapter may make it even more valuable.

I don't know what you call that other piece of angle, but when you tighten the two bolts on the hitch they push this piece againt the impliment and lock it in place. This angle part keeps the bolts from wearing on the impliment. A lot of folks don't even have this particular piece (myself included) and the hitch (or adapter) works just fine without it.

Kelly, You have brand new grade 8 bolts, new clevis pins AND retaining keys in your scrap pile? Can I come dig in it? :banghead: Btw, that adapter looks great.

Kelly

Jim, you would be surprised what people throw away, I find boxes of bolts, nuts and washers in the junk yard, I only pick up the new stuff :banghead: just last week I found over 25#'s of new 7/16'' grade 8 bolts that I bought for $0.25 a pound, but no I had to buy those bolts, I pick up a lot of the new metal I find in the junk yard, peoples left over's, like the old saying "one man's junk is another mans treasure"

dieselhorse

That is an early Brinly cultivator, I used to have one, but now have the later styling version. Its missing the two gauge wheels, basicly push mower wheels on the end of two pieces of round bar stock to control the depth the cultivator goes in the ground.

sorekiwi

Its missing the two gauge wheels, basicly push mower wheels on the end of two pieces of round bar stock to control the depth the cultivator goes in the ground.

I wondered about that, all the pictures I've seen of them had the gauge wheels. I'll collect some photo's and make some.

Duff

Anyone have a set of disc's lying around? Cheap??

I don't know how to set up the link thingy, but if you go to Fleapay and enter Item number: 110285788942 there's what looks lie a decent set of discs right now......

Duff :banghead:

BairleaFarm

I saw those Duff - to far for me to drive to get them.

jusjeepn

Mike, Here's my NOS Brinly Cultivator.

020-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

The pics do not show the color accuratly. If you need more pics or dimensions of the guage wheels let me know.

Pat

I have a parts diagram and breakdown also.

sorekiwi

The pics do not show the color accuratly. If you need more pics or dimensions of the guage wheels let me know.

Pat

I have a parts diagram and breakdown also.

Wow, that things nice, Pat.

I found some "Wimbledon White" paint, but havent had time to scuff the thing up yet, and probably wont do any painting till things warm up...

What's the finish on the wedges and the other wedgie :D ? Is it just plain steel, or black oxide or similar? Mine just look rusty.

Are the wheels 6" diameter? The rest of the guage wheel setup should be easy enough to make. Mind you I'll have to figure out how to make a couple more wedges and wedgie :hide:. Mmmmm....

Also havent figured out what to do for a hitch yet either. I'd make an adaptor like Kelly's, but my little welder (110V MIG) struggles a bit on anything over 1/4" thick. I could use the TIG at work, but I've never tigged anything that thick either. I may end up making a WH style clevis hitch, out of 1/4" instead of 3/8 but with a couple of cross braces in it. At least with the WH style hitch you are not dependent on a really good weld if the attachment hooks on a tree root, or rock or underground cable(!!).

Another unfinished project.... :hide:

jusjeepn

Mike the wedges and cleats are just bare steel. I'll get you the wheel dimensions tomorrow. I think I saw a set of these wheels at TSC. They are steel center so they may be harder to find. I have to pick up more paint tomorrow so I'll check at TSC. Do you have access to an arc welder or an industrial mig? I could probably throw one together for you. I have a Brinly here I could copy.

022-1.jpg

Don't waste you time making the clevis hitch out of 1/4". I made one and put in three cross braces and it still twisted it up after pulling my 10" plow with it. It didn't come apart but it put one heck of a twist in it. I'm gonna attempt another out of 3/8". If it doesn't work I'll buy one off fleabay

sorekiwi

I think I saw a set of these wheels at TSC. They are steel center so they may be harder to find. I have to pick up more paint tomorrow so I'll check at TSC.

Thanks Pat.

I know I've seen some wheels like that recently, I have a sneaking suspicion that they were on an old Lawnmower I sent to the scrap yard a few months ago. :hide:

Do you have access to an arc welder or an industrial mig? I could probably throw one together for you. I have a Brinly here I could copy.

I'm in Indycar land down here, they think I'm a hack 'cause I own my little MIG! I'd really like to get a Lincoln Buzzbox but I havent got any 220V within about 80 feet of my garage. I guess I could weld it up in my laundry room... :D Hell, it's gotta be 20 years since I last arc welded, I'm not sure if I could deal with the shame of the first few welds.

Don't waste you time making the clevis hitch out of 1/4". I made one and put in three cross braces and it still twisted it up after pulling my 10" plow with it. It didn't come apart but it put one heck of a twist in it. I'm gonna attempt another out of 3/8". If it doesn't work I'll buy one off fleabay

Wow, really? The factory hitches were made from 3/8 and I've seen a few a bit tweaked, but thought if they managed to survive then 1/4" with some bracing would work OK. Have to rethink this one...

Kelly

I built mine with a 110v mig I turn it up all the way and let it burn, mine is a 135amp, with gas, from TSC I've never had a weld break, and you should see what my derby cars look like when I'm done.

jusjeepn

Those little 110 migs can do a great job! Like you said Kelly, you just have to let it burn. I built a street stock a couple of years ago with a little generic 110 unit and it held together almost all season.

001-5.jpg

Till my brother-in-law smashed a wall. Some of the welds didn't hold up to well then.

It can be done!!! :hide: But 1/4" is definatly not strong enough for the sleeve hitch.

jusjeepn

Mike, The wheels are 7". Available at TSC for about $9 (in red)

sorekiwi

Mike, The wheels are 7". Available at TSC for about $9 (in red)

Cool, thanks for that. I'll put that on my tuit list. :hide: