jachady

New Lighting

jachady

Here's my solution to people that "can't see" a big red tractor in the road when I'm plowing out the end of my driveway.

3 LED's in a 3/4 inch fixture

Bright even in daytime.

Plus I cleaned up the headlamp housing and bezel.  Installed new bulbs.

If they don't see me coming now they must be blind.

• Like 7

redrooster

Good idea!! Did you replace the standard headlight bulbs with led's? I have considered that because the old light bulbs on my C-141 partially melted the lens.

AMC RULES

The new lights looks great...  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

but don't assume they'll make you safer out at the end of your driveway. 

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

Nice functional addition.

Kelly

Hook them up to a flasher if you really want to be seen

• Like 1

jachady

I just put in the standard headlight bulb, but I noticed the lense was already partially melted.  Hopefully with the new bulbs it doesn't get worse. 

I'd make the LEDs flash but they are so bright I'd probably send people into a siezure.

• Like 1

chazm

Cool lights :handgestures-thumbupright: ... Like Craig said ...

( but don't assume they'll make you safer out at the end of your driveway. )   

People are crazy out there & not paying attention  ... :music-listening:   :eusa-whistle:  :beer:  OHHH NOOO....  :auto-crash: 

AMC RULES

Bright, flashing lights attract idiots like magnets.

They focus on you instead of paying attention to the road. 

• Like 3

redrooster

I found led replacements for the original T1156 bulbs. I plan on ordering them because led's give off less heat, produce more light and won't melt my new 36 dollar lens!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

What manufacturer, and # LED replaces the 1156 original bulbs?    :thanks: 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Great safety addition. Something is better than nothing.

Glenn

• Like 1

redrooster

just do a search on Amazon for led 1156 replacement and you'll have several choices. they are expensive at autozone

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Good tip.   :thanks:

Coadster32

They are pretty darn bright. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Eric857

What kind of tail lights did you use. I'm looking for some new tail lights (preferably LED) for my 857. Pic?

wrightorchid

I like LED's for brightness when they need to be looked at, like a tail light, but not as much for headlights.    In order for them to have enough throw (light at a farther distance), they are blinding for everybody else.  Same with the LED's and CFL's replacements for a light in the house.

N3PUY

I agree with "wrightorchid".  I also tried LEDs for seeing .... not good.   I got LEDs for back-up lights for the wife's Dodge Caravan.  They really looked bright to look at them but they didn't light up anything.   I noticed it one morning when she was leaving when the brake lights lite up the trees like the back-up lights weren't even on.  So I put the old bulbs back in and they make alot more light.  The LEDs had about 20 LEDs mounted together.  So I say LEDs are good for looking at but not good to see with.  

bmsgaffer

LED's  CAN be great for headlights and distance lighting, but that have to be designed for that purpose. LED's that are bright enough to do that task require optics to focus the light and require major heatsinks designed into the fixture.

Any of these "drop-in replacements" will be unsatisfactory because they have to use lower power LED's because of heat issues and they have to make them fit in the hole where the old bulb fit.

There are several cars coming into production using LED's for their main headlamps but they have high power leds, special optics all designed in special fixtures.

All that to say, don't loose hope on LED's but consumer grade ones generally are pretty bad for anything but indicator and signal lights at this point.

Brandon

redrooster

Good info thanks

I sure do like my led flashlight!

dodge78

I have set of these with the spot pattern

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/work-lights/model-6040-45-round-par-36-led-work-light

in my 418. I got lucky and found a set for $50. I can see things over 1 block away clearly lit up.  The problem is that they do not have a cutoff so they blind everybody in front of me.  

In the picture below I took a led third brake light apart and installed 4 super bright leds (2 on each end) for the reverse lights.  They work pretty good. I can see at least 12 ft clearly.

th_P1020897_zpscced677c.jpg

N3PUY

dodge78,  Grote sells those worklights for $100 each!  

Here is a video of my C-125 plow tractor with LED "NightRider" lights.    http://youtu.be/qyTXKZ0NZd8    My camera doesn't do LEDs too good .... my LED Christmas lights don't show up at all. 

These are strips of LEDs and are adhesive.   Just stick them on and connect the wires.  Front lights are clear and rear ones are red.  They are very noticeable day and night.  I got them on ebay ... $7.00 a pair.  

dodge78

dodge78,  Grote sells those worklights for $100 each!  

These sell for $150 each.  I would have been happy finding either one for $50 a pair.

KC9KAS

Here is my GT-14 with LED's.

Click for video.

th_GEDC0012-1_zps33298862.jpg

• Like 2

sidperry

The problems I find with LED lights is that the LED circuit boards themselves are most often sealed in resin for use in a wet/damp environment and in most cases you can't just unsolder and replace a burnt out single LED, if you can find isolate which one in the series circuit that has gone bad.  Also I find that they are often wired in groups so when one burns out you lose 3 when only one is actually bad.  So off you go buying a whole new light assembly.  I also notice the same with my garage LED lead lights.  The whole light goes out (all 40 LEDs wired in series) with the burn out of one single LED.  Not everyone can isolate a single failed LED thats covered in resin to waterproof the unit.  Another issue is that not all LEDs are the same, and the wave lengths vary from manufacturers and solid state material used.  Also most are made overseas and the companies come and go rather fast.  The look pretty, but many have a high infant mortality rate.  For some applications I personally prefer screwing in a single bulb, than hunting up a look alike assembly, that I can see (in most cases) better with.  On my C-81 I moved the headlight assy. back 3/4 of an inch from the lens and the standard 1156s don't melt anything.       

redrooster

Good suggestion! Ill be moving the headlight assembly back. I don't want to melt another lens!