Ready for mowing...

nylyon

spring07.JPG

spring02.JPG

spring03.JPG

spring04.JPG

spring05.JPG

spring06.JPG

Now after a good cleaning, time to get it full of grass again. I recently put in new recycler blades, belts all around, new front tires and a good cleaning.

Sparky

Nice mower deck. A 42" rear discharge deck is on the top of my wish list right now. I have a couple of 36" rear discharge decks and I love em but could use a slightly bigger deck.

Mike

PS..by any chance do you leave your deck outside at night in an unlit part of yer yard....just checking.....never know right? :D

nylyon

by any chance do you leave your deck outside at night in an unlit part of yer yard....just checking.....never know right? :P

I have to leave it outside, and it happens to be in an unlit area. I needed something a little heavy to hold down Spike, although sometimes he thinks it's a frisbee and tosses it around. :D

Sparky

Karl. Any chance of getting a pic of the underside of that 42" rear discharge deck before you mount it? If its allready on the tractor then dont bother. I have a lead on the same deck but was told that some type of divider or baffle is missing off the bottom. Was told that there are 2 normally.

If yours has em maybe you could tell me what purpose they serve and also if ya think being missing would affect the performance. I would think the grass clippings would have no choice but to eject out the back of the deck so maybe these baffles arent real important.

Thanks Mike

nylyon

It is already mounted BUT I already took some pictures.. This deck has the recycler kit which is part number 86001

spring09.JPG

If you're looking at a deck without the recycler imagine that whole circular area with the baffles not there. The deck is then simply flat without any additional components or baffles.

spring08.JPG

I bought this deck new with the tractor. They didn't have an official recycler deck in stock, so they sold me the 42" rear discharge then had the recycler kit shipped to my house. There was never any baffles on the deck it is basically a flat piece with 3 blades and the back end open. The recycler kit is simply that big blob of metal with the 3 baffles, special recycler blades and 2 decals and 2 extra long bolts. I have often removed the kit and converted it back to rear discharge by removing those parts (except of course the decals). Let me know if you need any additional photos or details.

• Like 1

nylyon

Mike, I just looked at the 1994 300 / 400 / 500 series brochure and it looks like the 36" deck has 2 baffles. Each is a rounded V shape between the center and outer blades running along the front edge. Again the 42" does not have those baffles.

Sparky

Hey Karl...Thanks a bunch for the pics and info. My 36 rear has those triangle shaped baffles so I assumed(never assume right?) that the 42 rear had something similar. So with that settled I will be buying a 42" rear discharge for my "82" C-125 auto.

Thanks again, Mike

PS...seems like its our own private little forum again does'nt it?

nylyon

Congratulations on the new deck. I think you'll like it. Hey BTW, I'm still looking for a red machine for my little guy. He really wants to get an automatic, so keep your eyes out for me. I want to turn it into a father/son restoration project for the summer.

Sparky

Shoot! I wish I knew that 3 days ago. I just listed yesterday a 1973 Wheel Horse 10hp auto on e-bay. Its not pretty and needs some fine tuning and tweaking but it would have been a good starter tractor. It does not have the hydraulic lift. I'll keep my eyes open now that I know what yer lookin for.

If you go to the show in PA this June theres lots and lots of tractors for sale with 8 speeds and hydros. I bought my C-125 auto with hydraulic lift for $300(no attachments). It just needed a good tune up and some rear tires. Its been a great plowin tractor this winter and I was mowin with it last year.

Check out E-bay item # 120107010555

Mike

nylyon

The perfect machine would be a 74-75 C160 Automatic. He sat on the 414 on Saturday and he couldn't pull the attachment lift with the mower on, so I think that the hydraulic lift would be perfect. Pretty good deal on the C125

Sparky

If you move up to a 1980 or newer you will get the same tranny(Eaton) as whats in your auto tractor now. Before 1980 they all have Sundstrand auto trannys. I have the Eaton 1100 in my C-125 amd I think its awsome. Also the parts for an Eaton will be more readily available from a dealer if you needed any. I'm not to knowledgable about the Sundstrand tranny but you might want to get an opinion on both brands from the guys in the big Yahoo group before you make a purchase.

Mike

nylyon

It is more of a sentimental thing. My Dad traded in his 60's something Springfield tractor in the summer of 74 and brought home a brand new shinny C160 Automatic with optional arm rests 36" rear discharge mower, and a Parker Sweeper. I used to love to do the lawn, and I would wash after each time. My Dad passed away in 91, but my mom and brother remained in the house for another 5 years or so. When she sold the house, my brother bought a home for him self and took the tractor and ran it into the ground. I'm not sure what ever happened to it, but knowing him its probably been recycled into a big compost heap in the back yard.

Anyway, I loved that tractor and it was super easy to drive which would make it perfect for my Son and even a better father / son restoration project seeing as he's never met his Grandpa, it would help him (me) become acquainted in some manner.

So if you happen upon a C160 (restorable and affordable) let me know. These seem to be very desirable, so I'll just have to get their first.

whchris

mike my sister has a 42" rear discharge deck for her c-125 never use it i don't even know where it is right now she may be selling the whole tractor though ill let you know

Sparky

Yep, keep me in mind.

Mike