Hodge71

Battery dimension or size question

Hodge71

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in Electrical because a battery is electrical but the question isn't. I have searched here for a couple hours and came up with nothing. I need a battery for both the C-160 and the Charger 12. When I bought them, neither had the correct size. Both were quad batteries with and were wedged in place with wood. Needless to say, massively undersized for their duty. Does anyone know the proper size battery for these tractors. I know above 350 CCA is important but I'm talking the "group" size.. Like 24f, 26, 28 etc. I want it to be the right dimensions so Im not wedging wood in it like the previous owners, and the higher CCA the better, as one is 210 CCA and the other is 240 CCA. Also…did the 18 auto use the same size or were they bigger? I cannot find anything in the manuals of either of the 3 tractors that elaborate on the topic..

Thanks in advance,

rmaynard

The battery size in all of my C-series, Commando 8, and 701 is a U1. The dimensions are  8.31" L x 5.13" W x 7.25" H

• Like 1

Racinbob

Yup. U1 it is. A U1-R is the same thing with the +/- terminals reversed. I've used both depending on the orientation I needed.

Hodge71

Thank you very much to both of you!!!  :bow-blue:

TT

Although the U1 batteries are suitable replacements, the Charger/Raider/Electro/Bronco (and early C series?) originally came with a battery big enough to fill the box.

I can't ever keep them straight, but I believe it's either a 22NF or 22F. (99% sure it's the NF)

Here's a picture of one in an all-original Raider 14:

IMG_2141.jpg

• Like 2

Hodge71

Thats what I needed TT. A battery to fill the box completely…Thank you my friend, I greatly appreciate it. Now the search begins…..

• Like 1

TT

The last one I bought came from NAPA. I believe it was around $70, but with proper care they can outlast two or three of the L&G batteries.

squonk

Probably a NF. They were a funky size 9" high 9 3/8" long and 5 1/2 wide

• Like 1

Martin

BCI 26 is a good fit in the 1057 tray.....

post-4321-0-34026200-1389747017_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-91394000-1389747036_thumb.jp

• Like 2

pfrederi

This site lists the dimension of batteries by group #

http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html

22nf are 1-18" shorter (vertically) than the 22f.  I think you want the NF

bowtieguy

Today I happened to pull my ole 1057 out of the barn (been hidding there for 10 years) to see if it had a battery in it....was suprised to see the extra large battery tray (no battery)....so a quick search here found the answer......(maybe a 22NF)

Then I started searching the gallery to see how many 1967 models (did you know WH made 15 models in 1967) had the larger battery box.

Martin's pic of his 1057 shows an excellent view of the battery needed....does anyone know how many other models (years) ie. Charger,Bronco,Raider..... required the larger battery?

Think I'll down size my herd to only the models with big battery box!!! :scratchead:

slammer302

I have a charger 10 with large battery tray

Save Old Iron

Well Frank, hold onto your drawers (and wallet) - those batteries are in the $100 to $140 price range.

ericj

my 74 c120 took a bigger battery but  i changed over to L & G battery because of cost

eric j

Martin

the BCI 26 battery (napa #6526) that i use in the 1057 has gone up in price somewhat since i purchased mine. depending on store the price is a little more reasonable. i can usually get at least 10-15% better pricing than quoted online, but you are still talking about a $60+ battery when all is said and done......

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Battery-NAPA-Power-65-Month/_/R-NBP6526_0398997046

Edited by Martin

bowtieguy

Well...I know it sounds like a lot of money...but still is cheaper than (2) small lawn mower batteries that only last a year or so.....

Now the question would be: can I get 65 months of service from it?....bettin' I can :scratchead: ...called my local NAPA store and the price is less than 70 bucks if I bring  in TWO small lawn batteries for the core exchange!!....and I like the CCA rating :handgestures-thumbupright:

ol550

Well...I know it sounds like a lot of money...but still is cheaper than (2) small lawn mower batteries that only last a year or so.....

Now the question would be: can I get 65 months of service from it?....bettin' I can :scratchead: ...called my local NAPA store and the price is less than 70 bucks if I bring  in TWO small lawn batteries for the core exchange!!....and I like the CCA rating :handgestures-thumbupright:

Batteries are not warranted like the good old days anymore.  Most if not all are 1, 2, or 3 year free replacement. No more monthly prorating. Thank you Sears for starting this!

• Like 1

Martin

well, I've got 2 years out of mine and its the only one that has a big battery. i bought a few l and g batteries from napa at the same time and one is already junk. this is the only tractor i have that i have never jumped after having it sit for up to 6 months, also never had a maintainer hooked to it. sometimes time gets away from you and its hard to use 10-12 tractors once a month......

Martin

i also think that they don't build them like they use to either......

when i got my 1054 it had an interstate l and g battery that was 7 years old. i got another year out of that thing using it for a spare on just bought tractors. it probably would have gone longer had it been used for its last year in a start charge situation the whole time instead of constant starting and not much running (charging).....

Zeek

Although the U1 batteries are suitable replacements, the Charger/Raider/Electro/Bronco (and early C series?) originally came with a battery big enough to fill the box.

I can't ever keep them straight, but I believe it's either a 22NF or 22F. (99% sure it's the NF)

Here's a picture of one in an all-original Raider 14:

IMG_2141.jpg

I like that old school red cap look of that battery  :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 3

squonk

I get at least 3 yrs out of all of my U1 L & G Batteries. And if you need 300 + CCA to start a little single cyl. engine you have other problems. I do like the look of the single cap battery though, and on a restoration or if you got the money I can see the need for the big battery

ericj

i think the larger L & G batteries last longer then the small ones i just got 7 yrs out of one from auto zone i think it was 425 ca with a 350 or 330 cca. i have other batteries that are the same thing that are older. the one that just died was in my 99 314-8 which does not get run much anymore so i think that was good. i'm replacing it with a interstate battery so we'll see how long it lasts

eric j 

Retired Wrencher

The battery size in all of my C-series, Commando 8, and 701 is a U1. The dimensions are  8.31" L x 5.13" W x 7.25" H

:USA:  :wh:   I think that will just fine in the 1257 I had a new box made up from a tin knocker at work looks like the original no rust or rot. the width is 7 buy 8/12 long so that should do the job. Can put some rubber to take up the slack. Martin how did it slide in or height wise was it tight????  Gary    B....

the BCI 26 battery (napa #6526) that i use in the 1057 has gone up in price somewhat since i purchased mine. depending on store the price is a little more reasonable. i can usually get at least 10-15% better pricing than quoted online, but you are still talking about a $60+ battery when all is said and done......

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Battery-NAPA-Power-65-Month/_/R-NBP6526_0398997046

Martin

:USA:  :wh:   I think that will just fine in the 1257 I had a new box made up from a tin knocker at work looks like the original no rust or rot. the width is 7 buy 8/12 long so that should do the job. Can put some rubber to take up the slack. Martin how did it slide in or height wise was it tight????  Gary    B....

it is tight in there, i need to revisit to see how close in dimensions this battery was to oem. the hardest part is getting it past the starter/gen belt guard. i have to sneak it in there above the tray and slightly rearward and then move it forward to drop down into the tray. i made a new tray to replace the original, but it was made to the same dimensions as the rusty original.

the red top in the pic above looks very close to the same size in the tray. the height i would have to check. the nice thing about the one in the pic above is its a gear starter and you have more room. look how close each side is to the engine and steering fan gear......

i looked at the resto automotive market for a 60s top battery and they are pricy from what i remember.

Martin

I've been dragging out and moving around some of the tractors just to get some running again after a long spell (and also to get my :wh: fix...). 

One thing I've noticed when they all sit for any period of time is the U1 batteries almost always need some help on the charger before they will start. I don't force feed them, they are pulled from the tractor and put on a 2A charge for a cycle (charger shuts off when done) then they are good to go or its time for another battery. I have slowly got into the habit of swapping them around to tractors that get more use, (all of mine use the U1 or U1L except the 1057 that is mentioned above as using a BCI 26). My 1277 can fit one, but as it doesn't really ever get any use, i just put one of the U1 batteries in if i need to.

I'm not one to have maintainers hooked up to everything that doesn't get regular use. The 1057 is one of those tractors that doesn't get regular use. It sits more than any other and really only comes out when i put it on the trailer for a show or day out. That 26 battery has been hooked up to that tractor since March 2012. The tractor got regular use through the summers and sat for at least 6-8 months in the corner in 2012 and 2013. I think it got started twice in 2014 and ran around the yard, don't think it made an outing. It sat from end of summer 2014 until i ran it once around May this year for 30 min or so. Then it got ran the other week for a bit. It has never been on a charger ever. It starts the 1057 (starter gen) every time its asked and spins it over no problem. The electrical on this one is all rebuilt and so i don't expect to have any problems, but so are all the other rebuilt tractors that I've done that use the U1 and i can't say the same with them. I have only ever bought NAPA batteries. I have replaced 2 U1 batteries that i got around 18 months to 2 years on, one was on the 1054 and one was on the 875. Both tractors had more use than the 1057, especially Kents 875 during the nice weather, but like the 1057 sat for the winter months.

My observations on all of this are.....

The U1 style is a decent survivor for the less than ideal way that i use my tractors. I have better results with the U1L (300 CCA at 0) than the U1 (230 at 0) but they still don't last more than about 2 years the way that i use them. I am getting better at swapping them around so time will tell how much more life i get from them.

The BCI 26 battery is a much better built battery than the U1. It handles the less than ideal way it gets used with ease. But it won't fit in all of my tractors. The 1057 and 1277 (not used at all) are the only ones i can use it in. WH only used that bigger tray for a few years and went back to the smaller size. So for convenience, (I have 13 tractors but only 5 or 6 U1 batteries and one BCI 26-can be used in 2 of them) the U1L is what i will probably be continuing to buy. I just checked pricing from the website: U1 $41.99     U1L $48.99    BCI 26 $94.99. (i can get better from the local store) That is a factor as well, but how long a life will i get from the BCI 26? If i get 5 or more years it looks more attractive to the around 2 years for half the price.

One thing is for sure in all of this is that I need to take better care of ALL my batteries. The BCI 26 has definitely had my back in all of this and it is duly noted. I need to start and run the tractors more regularly though.........

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1