Stormin

Oxyacetylene cutting.

Stormin

I once was burning bolt heads off some steel work. I was wearing rigger boots at the time and an overall leg had ridden up over the top of one. As one bolt head dropped off it went inside the boot. I got a very nasty, painful burn on top of my foot, where the red hot metal got wedged between my foot and the boot. Now if I'm doing any oxy work I make sure nothing can get inside footwear.

• Like 1

chazm

:text-goodpost:  :handgestures-thumbupright:   Bin there /done dat  :happy-bouncyredfire:     Using torches is always dangerest . :angry-extinguishflame:   Be sure to protect yourself from hot coals just like you said . :handgestures-thumbup:

meadowfield

hehe, the amount of times I get hot bits of  weld and spatter in my ear... or down my sleeve...  or in my shoe... I've done a few jigs they would be proud of on riverdance :D

• Like 2

.5racer

wear ear plugs to keep those sparks out of your ear ...littlest spark can destroy hearing loss

AMC RULES

It happens. :happy-bouncyredfire:  :angry-extinguishflame:

• Like 1

squonk

I remember working in an auto shop. We had a guy who always kept a rag hanging out of his pocket. He was cutting off an exhaust when the rag caught fire. I yelled to him and he put it out. The guy next to him, who was a ball buster had gotten the water hose out. He let him have it even though the fire was all ready out!  :)  :laughing-rolling:  :ROTF:

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:  Probably, just lucky he didn't get you too. :angry-extinguishflame: 

dodgemike

My 85 year old father still has a hole/scar in his side.

He was cutting tie rods on rail cars and the large nut

went right down the collar of his jacket. He was lucky

the jacket was a leather bomber jacket from the war.

He laughs now about trying to grab it through the coat

and hold it away from his skin. I am sure it was not

funny then. He bought me a leather weldors jacket

that snaps up tight.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

SousaKerry

Yup been there done that.  One day on the farm I was cutting up rebar for a project we were working on and a chunk of slag fell directly into my open tennis shoe and lodged itself in between the tongue and my foot still have the scar.  Of coarse being an dumb a$$ teen-ager I was wearing shorts and a t shirt cause it was hot out.  The next day I spent welding them all together in shorts and a t shirt again.  That sun burn was the worst one I ever had now I always wear the green jacket and pants.

squonk

I was cutting off an exhaust and had just cut off a clamp. Next thing I know someone Hess "your boot is on fire". I had stepped on the hot clamp and the heel was smoldering. There was an imprint of that clamp in that heel for a year.

HorseFixer

If you do any amount of fabrication and welding at all, no matter how careful you are you cant tell where a welding spark is going to fly. :dunno:  I've got my ARSE chewed out by my wife a zillion times for ruining good clothes, I have just come to the conclusion that things happen and its all part of it. Clothes like welding rod, wire, and gases, are CONSUMABLES same as is your skin and flesh! :eek:  We are all going to get our lumps doing the things that we love in this case working on our horses. :tools-wrench:

Ya know what..... I don't know about you guys, I wouldn't have it any other way! Battle scars build character!  :thumbs:

~Duke

• Like 3

Coadster32

Yeah, I fell victim to self induced fire using a cutting torch as well. :hide:

Glad I don't have to work on that trailer anymore.