mcghs

Snow Cab Storage

mcghs

Has anyone come up with a neat way to store their Wheel Horse snow cab without taking it completely apart.  I thought of hoisting to my garage ceiling but wanted to know what some of you guys came up with in this situation.

Thanks

mcghs

AMC RULES

I leave mine mounted on the tractor, and remove the vinyl during the summer months. 

Rick_in_CT

They are not the easiest thing to store.  I purchased a wood furniture dolly, screwed down a piece of plywood the same size as the snow cab roof and covered it with carpet.  As the cab comes off the tractor, I have the dolly on the ground right behind the tractor, flip the cab upside down as it comes off and onto the dolly.  I can now easily move it around the garage during the summer if it gets in the way.  Takes up a bunch of space, but I didn't want to take the cab apart. 

Rick

cheesegrader

I use a rope and pulley system to lift it straight off the tractor and to the rafters of my pole barn.

It only takes 8-10 bolts from the footrests and seat pan, and the whole thing goes straight up.

• Like 1

bk-scouter

I use the bike rope/pulley hangers in the off winter seasons to hang my cab up by the ceiling in my garage.  In the spring, the bikes come down and the cab goes up.  I can walk under it without banging my noggin, of course a tall ceiling is good to have too.

-BK

P3170045.jpg

• Like 4

stevebo

I do the same with my cab and strap it to the framing in my coverall tent. I find that the mice do not make nests in it by doing this. They make nests in everything else tho. I plan on keeping mine on the dedicated snow blowing 520 this year.

mcghs

BK and all others - thanks for your helpful hints.  I really like the bike hoisting idea and pictures.  Are there 4 hooks as I can only see three of them?  I also have a high ceiling which would provide me with a means of not having to take it all apart every year.

Craig have you ever transported your tractor with the cab on but the vinyl off and distance.  I am asking because this was an alternative for me but I mow my parents lawn every week and the tractor would be on a trailer for 10 miles each way.  Just wondering if the bracing would stand up to the wind in the trailer being pulled around.

Thanks again to all!

mcghs

bk-scouter

BK and all others - thanks for your helpful hints.  I really like the bike hoisting idea and pictures.  Are there 4 hooks as I can only see three of them?  I also have a high ceiling which would provide me with a means of not having to take it all apart every year.

- There are four. The fourth one is hiding behind the the top of the cab.  The picture is from a couple years ago, but this year I've increased the clear height under the hung cab by rotating it so the cab front faces upward towards the ceiling.  Sorry no pictures to show that.  I'll try to remember posting some when I get her ready for spring garden and yard work.

-BK

Edited by bk-scouter

jachady

First I take off my snowblower and roll it into the corner of my shed.  Then I take off the cab and rotate it 180 and place it over the snowblower.  That way the short legs land on top of the snowblower, the chute is in the cab and the back legs are on the ground.  It ends up sitting fairly level and I'm doubling up on the storage space.

• Like 1

MalMac

For those of you that take the cab off still all assembled, how do you keep the brackets and uprights from scratching the heck out of the tractor when you lift or hoist it up?

jachady

For those of you that take the cab off still all assembled, how do you keep the brackets and uprights from scratching the heck out of the tractor when you lift or hoist it up?

This should be a You tube video, but -- I climb in the cab and stand/crouch on the seat.  Then I stand up with my hands above my head and lift the cab off.  Carefully I step off the tractor, haven't fallen yet, and walk over to where I'm storing it.  Then I crawl out form under it and have my wife help me hoist it onto the blower.  The only issue I've run into is wind, that thing becomes a sail when you're holding it over your head.