meadowfield

UK dealer list

Phyliss

Thanks

That's an early GD mountfield label I believe...

Hello Mark,

I just wondered how the 2 companies were linked. I know that they were down the road from one another (Slough & Maidenhead) but i don't know about the histories.

Regards, Philip

meadowfield

I think they are one and the same... they started importing, moved premises and started making their own.

rog 8811

I thought you might like a bit more background info on Multipower in Effingham. When my father worked there as a salesman way back in the 1960's they were:
Mid Surrey Garden Centre. It was horses from there that I used to drive at the Surrey show.
I drove past the premises around 8 years ago and they were still in business as multipower machinery, but a quick look on street view shows that they are now MPS garden machinery.

multipower.jpg

• Like 1

rog 8811

Fathers day today and my father wanted to see the wheel horse run and whilst it was sat ticking over gently he reminisced about the old days, this is what he told me.
Back in the 60's Westwood used to show Wheel horses at Chelsea flower show, once that show was over all the tractors went "sale or return" to Mid Surrey Garden Center who then took them to the Surrey county show at Stoke park, Guildford. They used to have a stand in prime position right next to the arena.

wheeledhorseman

Great photo - thanks! I think Multipower went bust then re-emerged as MPS.

Andy

devonionredneck

Might be of interest to someone, dealer sticker on my c120, googled them once came up with nothing, be interested to know if there still going? 

IMG_20150721_184237004.jpg

Aussie

I picked up a 1983 C125 this week which appears to have spent some time in England. I have no idea how it found its way to Australia as I got it from a dealer who took it as a trade-in. He gave me the previous owner's name but I haven't been able to contact them yet. I don't think the C125 were sold in Australia, I haven't seen one here before (then again I hadn't seen a 512-D either).

Here is mine;

119z5o8.jpg

It has a Mountfields metal plate on the lhs hood stand, it appears to be stuck on with adhesive;

anmuft.jpg

The Mountfields serial number is 15527. There are also two decals for "Rochfords", one at the top of the dash;

28mnuww.jpg

and another the same on the rear fender pan under the seat;

2nhjib5.jpg

I am guessing that Rochfords may have been the retailer or serviced the machine after sale. Does any-one know where they were located?

There is also this decal at the base of the hoodstand, which I haven't seen before.

2qtbb43.jpg

Any ideas on who would likely  have attached that?

Does any-one know for certain how the Mountfields plate is attached? I would like to take it off to have the panel powdercoated but don't want to damage it.

• Like 3

Aussie

could it be Rochford Garden Machinery - Wincanton, Somerset ?

Anglo Traction

Does any-one know for certain how the Mountfields plate is attached? I would like to take it off to have the panel powdercoated but don't want to damage it.

Hi Aussie, Fine example you have there. Yes, the GD Mountfield  Plate is attached with a Self Adhesive layer.
I removed mine carefully teasing it off with a thin strong Pallet Knife blade while allowing White Spirit (Turpentine) to soak in an soften it. I used that solvent to avoid possibly dissolving the printed lettering.
As for the H & S label, I suspect the machine may have been used by Market Garden or small business establishment where various Employees operated the Tractor. The Label could have been an anti litigation requirement. 
As for Rochfords, could well be. 1983 is not long ago for some of us and the company may still be around  as in it's current Online form. I could not access the Company History to check it. 
Regards 

Aussie

Thank you AT. I am very happy with the tractor, spent the day today cleaning it . It needs lots of little things done, but nothing major. All the belts are shot, some missing grease nipples, wrong and missing fasteners, lift arm doesn't lock up, loose drive pulley, new shifter boot, adjust brakes. The motor sounds strong and seems to run well. I will give it a full service, decarbonize the head and change all of the fluids. Should come up really well. 

I just spoke to the previous owner. Apparently it was brought over to Australia about six or seven years ago in a container load of antiques and the p.o. thinks it may have been a part of an estate purchase. It was in the present condition when imported. It has been resprayed at some time in the past but otherwise appears very original.

• Like 1

farmer

Hello Redsquare, haven't posted for quite a while, apologies. Quite by chance I met up with Neil the other day (nice chap) we got talking about wheel horses so my interest was sparked. I took some pictures of dealer stickers from my tractors that have them. So...

PA TURNEY '86 512-D

FRIAR CLIFF '68 Raider 10

ROCHFORD '93 312-8

So to answer Aussies question Rochfords were wheel horse dealers and still sell garden equipment, they're about eight miles from me. :):)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

meadowfield

awesome thanks for the pics, 

glad to have you back on :D

wheeledhorseman

Apologies for not posting for quite a while but various things have eaten up my time over the last year.

Picked up a 1972 Raider 10, 8 Speed (AKA 6 speed) today. It's in very original unmolested condition.

Rupert.jpg

I'll post a few pics over the weekend but the one below of the back of the seat really belongs in this thread.

rupertb.jpg

Seems Bostrom Baltic seats had serial numbers - didn't know that.

Andy

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

Good to hear from you again Andy, I think I understand the reasons for your absence.

Your latest acquisition look's like a good machine.

By Serial number, your seat is much older than one I obtained for my C-120.

My later Bostrum Seat labels are Black and Green lettering on Chrome background with a 10 digit serial number.

Regards.

wheeledhorseman

Good to be back Richard,

Took the clutch idler pulley off today as it was very noisy and discovered it had been replaced at some stage. Result another sticker for the collection in this thread.

Mountfield.jpg

The Mountfield (UK distributor) serial number stickers on Wheel Horses are well known but of course they imported and distributed spare parts as well. First time I've seen one of these - note the Wheel Horse part number 7451.

Tonyp

wrong country list! 

IMG_8224.JPG

Edited by Tonyp

Red Headed Horse
On 09/10/2015 at 11:15 AM, Aussie said:

I picked up a 1983 C125 this week which appears to have spent some time in England. I have no idea how it found its way to Australia as I got it from a dealer who took it as a trade-in. He gave me the previous owner's name but I haven't been able to contact them yet. I don't think the C125 were sold in Australia, I haven't seen one here before (then again I hadn't seen a 512-D either).

Here is mine;

119z5o8.jpg

It has a Mountfields metal plate on the lhs hood stand, it appears to be stuck on with adhesive;

anmuft.jpg

The Mountfields serial number is 15527. There are also two decals for "Rochfords", one at the top of the dash;

28mnuww.jpg

and another the same on the rear fender pan under the seat;

2nhjib5.jpg

I am guessing that Rochfords may have been the retailer or serviced the machine after sale. Does any-one know where they were located?

There is also this decal at the base of the hoodstand, which I haven't seen before.

2qtbb43.jpg

Any ideas on who would likely  have attached that?

Rochford  are still in business but now a John Deere franchise.

On 28/10/2014 at 6:57 AM, neil said:

Here is a dealer label that was installed on my Raider 10 also withe the Bostom seat

The waterslide decals were applied to to hood & the seat fenderspost-2119-0-65360600-1414479296_thumb.jppost-2119-0-86053100-1414479322_thumb.jppost-2119-0-56488100-1414479344_thumb.jppost-2119-0-29371600-1414479372_thumb.jp

Not heard of these guys so must be out of business now. Have these labels been reproduced?

Anglo Traction

Bostrum (UK) were the main suppliers of seats to the Wheel Horse Belgium Assembly Plant (as well as Steering Wheels) when required, as not many of these parts were shipped from the US for the Plant.

Some time ago, Bostrum were bought out and the Company operated under the name KAB. The seat design was/is so good that it is still manufactured today and is known as the KAB P2.

The Black and Green on Chrome labels are not currently reproduced as far as I know-

DSC00788.JPG.7a3f17db2e8b485cfc549a1e30110f96.JPG

....... but there are a few Decal reproduction people in UK who may be able to help if you want some?.

I managed to salvage these shown in the above image before refurbishing the seat.      

Arthur England

Here is my 312/8. I do not have any history for the machine but I thought I would share the sticker which looks as if it could be as old as the tractor (1988 per Toro website)

I don't know if this dealer was a Wheel Horse dealer back in the day or if the tractor had the sticker added later. The dealer still exists but does not have a web site as far as I can see.

Arthur

DSC_1285.JPG

DSC_1286.JPG

petefaeperth

Hi

here's my dealer label - I notice quite a few Mountfields here, this one found it's way up to Perthshire.

Pete

DSC_0892.JPG

Red Headed Horse

On my Suburban is a plate from Mountfield who originally were the UK dealers. 

IMG_3193.PNG

goldeagle

Thought I would add a few labels from one of my C-165; the other has different labels on but it is currently undercover so will post those another time. I think Godfreys is still in business following a quick search on the internet.

Sorry about the mud splatters, should have given it a wipe down first!

20231216_132538.jpg

20231216_132555.jpg

20231216_132526.jpg

• Excellent 1