diggerjames

D200 restoration

wheeledhorseman

Looking at the pics and decals (we're very much into decals at the moment) I'd say your D-200 is on the cusp of the 1977 - 1988 model. My 77 model has the typical red decals and original off white real wheels that can be mounted either way round to produce wide or narrow track. My 78 model has the later decal design throughout and wide rear wheels painted silver that only fit one way round, Yours has the red WH decals on the hood sides, yet the later style on the sides of the dashboard - difficult to say from the pics which rear wheels you have but they appear to be off white. More evidence like a dump cart I'm working on at the moment that there was a mix and match policy to use up stock at the changeover period.

The number of these, and GT-14s for that matter, that entered the UK is an interesting one. The figure of 20 D-200s was second hand to me but originally from a guy who worked for WH over here. I don't know the origin of the GT-14 figure. My guess would be that these were the figures for a first batch of each shipped over from the US. Sales weren't high due to price so after that dealers ordered from the states if they had a sale so we'll probably never know the final total.  

It would also make sense in that both tractors had attachments specific to the model, in the case of D-200s this included actual tractor options as well like the 3-point hitch and turning brakes. A couple of times I've seen D-200s come up for sale with deck and rotavator and another with no deck but a rear mounted pto driven grass topper - I still regret not buying that one! My first D had no deck or signs of ever having one but did have the three point and turning brakes and judging by the way it got trashed did a lot of plowing in its time. So I'm guessing after the first batch you specified what you wanted at the dealers and they had it shipped from the US.

Keep posting the pics!

Andy

diggerjames

Thanks Andy that's quite an in sight I will take more pictures of her over the weekend and get the serial number as well

diggerjames

Just a quick update got the d running better new plugs etc . Taken a photo of vin number any info greatly appreciated age etc

post-12304-0-73087500-1389817753_thumb.j

wheeledhorseman

If my eyesight's good the that's 81-20KS01 and 1978 as I predicted from appearance..

I'll check the ser no of mine tomorrow if they're close then I guess they may have been imported about the same time.

Andy

Edited by wheeledhorseman

diggerjames

I'll try and rotate the picture

diggerjames

Thanks Andy if it's a 78 will it be one of the first produced

wheeledhorseman

I realised after posting the year bit for you that I should have explained a little more and in a way how to use the site.

If you go to the model list section for 1955-1984 models and scroll down you'll find that the D-200 was first introduced in 1974 with a model number for that year of 1-0630.  The list is here:

Each year the model number changed and....

1974:   1-0630

1975:   1-0631

1976:   61-20KS01  (2 variants that year also)

1976:   61-20KS02 

1977    71-16KS01  (again 2 variants)

1977:   71-16KS02

1978:   81-20KS01 (just one model)

The code tells us that yours is a 1978  20 hp tractor with Kohler engine.

The full spec is given in the list and the engine is a Kohler K532S-53105A (Kohler K532S type engine, particular specification 53105A) 

If you go to the RS Manuals section i.e. Manuals - engines - Kohler, you will find some useful publications to download.

Quick link http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/category/13-kohler/

The K532 service manual is on page 4 but you will find others of interest I think. One of these is dating a Kohler engine from its serial number which may help you put an approximate time of year to the 1978 bit. Unfortunately I don't believe there are any lists giving full date from the Wheel Horse serial number.

Another valuable resource is that Toro have a parts lookup site here: https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro&lang=us_en

If you enter your tractor model 81-20KS01 and search you will get access to assembly drawings, product details, attachments and accessories.

Welcome to RS, the only place to be and a great community.

Feel free to PM me (private message).

Andy

Edited by wheeledhorseman

diggerjames

Thanks Andy that's a great bit of insight to my tractor many thanks for your time

James

diggerjames

Stripped some more parts off today I'm n

Now getting down to the nitty gritty but I've realised I'm not getting no oil pressure weather it's the gauge which is faulty I don't now so I'm going to investigate that next . Photos coming shortly! James

meadowfield

Now getting down to the nitty gritty but I've realised I'm not getting no oil pressure weather it's the gauge which is faulty I don't now so I'm going to investigate that next . Photos coming shortly! James

Hurry up :wwp:

diggerjames

Ill take them tomorrow mark . What information do you need in the decals buddy cheers james

meadowfield

Ill take them tomorrow mark . What information do you need in the decals buddy cheers james

A good clean straight on shot, with at least one dimension. I've got a lot of the decals, but as every model seems to be different it makes sense to send me all the decals then I can make sure you get them all :)

Cheers

P.s. Prob easier to mail them or post links to photobucket....

wheeledhorseman

As you know, I have two D's and the oil pressure guage on each have good days and bad days. Cleaning the connections on the dash gauge and the one on the sender unit helped a bit but on mine but I suspect that the sender units really need replacing. 

I seem to recall that they are available from Kohler but typically pricey so I didn't bother.

Andy

diggerjames

A few more pictures of the strip down

The massive kolher 20 hp

post-12304-0-20567800-1391801691_thumb.j

post-12304-0-64548400-1391802002_thumb.j

wheeledhorseman

These photos bring back memories - keep posting :)

Andy

diggerjames

Parts are building up,!

post-12304-0-33971600-1391879913_thumb.j

• Like 2

Tom.

These D-series are really starting to grow on me, watching this one closely! Good luck with it!

Tom

diggerjames

Just put the d on big axle stands to aid stripping painting and cleaning

post-12304-0-94213600-1392662081_thumb.j

post-12304-0-63805000-1392662105_thumb.j

post-12304-0-78167600-1392662120.jpg

diggerjames

A few more pictures of strip down before been spayed in degreaser

post-12304-0-04498100-1392673261.jpg

post-12304-0-76188200-1392673392.jpg

cleat

Wow, when you lift a tractor you don't fool around. That looks like quite a shop you have there.

Looking forward to more pictures of your progress.

Cleat

diggerjames

Thanks cleat we also restore vintage busses etc and that's what the axle stands are for cheers james

JamesBe1

Nice work.  Having it up high really makes it easier on the back.

BTW, I think several members would really love to see what kind of luck you have getting the steering wheel and rear hubs off.

I'm looking forward to more pics. :)

j

diggerjames

I've already had a quick go with the steering wheel oh my god is it stuck so plenty of penetrating oil and il get the pullers on it

!

Jparkes43

Other tractors include

Commando 800

Another wheelhorse with a Kawasaki engine can't remember model without looking

2x David brown 880

A David brown 990 highway tractor

A David brown 1412

A fordson power major

And a tvo fergy

And a 2009 john Deere compact tractor with loader model 2520

And 2 x mini diggers which form best part of my business

The one with the kawasaki engine could be a 227-5 that's my type and it has a kawasaki and I haven't seem any others with one of those engines

Welcome to red square

James

Edited by Jparkes43