rtf

New to the forum and tractors

rtf

Hi to all, I am a city guy with a 9 yr. old grandson who absolutely loves farm and industrial machinery. He would really like to have a small tractor to cut grass and plow in his residential neighborhood. After doing some lurking on here I decided I want to build him a Wheel Horse. I have a substantial mechanical background so the project would not be a problem for me. From what I have seen on here, it appears a Suburban of some sort would work nicely for him. What do you guys think? Thanks, Rick

speedyleedy

That's a great thing to do for your grandson get him away from in front of the TV or computer game  & as far as tractors I think something with 8 hp would work good for you like a model 855 , 856 or 857 & there are many more of that size not to big not to small . good luck with your search hope to here how it goes   :WRS:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:   Lucky grandson, the two of you can build a lasting memory and have a lot of learning opportunities along the way. I know how close my grandfather and I became by working togather. A Lawn Ranger may be a good fit, lots of them around and front engine (a bit safer :twocents-twocents: ).

Good luck and keep us posted.   :text-welcomeconfetti: 

• Like 2

rtf

Thanks for the replies guys. I had been looking at the Lawn Ranger also. How do they compare in size to the suburbans? He is not a real big kid yet but I know he will want to use the tractor and not just ride around, so he will ended to get to the pedals and controls.

HorseWhisperer

I agree with 953,Lawn Ranger all the way!Great little yard help!

AMC RULES

RJ...hands down.   :bow-yellow:

:WRS:

Edited by AMC RULES

thirdjoker

my grandkids rode my 400 suburban for the first time yesterday. 6 and 8 yrs old. ran for about 1 1/2 hours, until i had to make them go inside. my grandson and his father now want one of their own. they loved it. just remember that the suburbans engine is right their by their legs. so look at the lawn rangers first.

• Like 1

chazm

HEY RICK WELCOME TO  :rs:

Great project for you & your grandson :handgestures-thumbupright:  Good luck with it

Chasm  :flags-waveusa:

roscoemi

My 10 yr old has a lawn ranger, still a hair big for him but a good fit and he loves cutting grass and plowing snow. Video games and the tv don't stand a chance. The wife even says that she can't compete with the tractor for his attention!

Edited by roscoemi
  • Like 1

WH nut

Anything with a Hydro with the center controls will work great for him. I had my boy cutting  grass with a c175 at 4 years old

slammer302

My son is 8 and he is growing into his lawn ranger and this thing has no problem with mowing the yard even with the tecky 6 HP I just got done painting and putting on sum new rubber just need to buy sum decals

Rick_in_CT

rtf,

It was 42 years ago that my family purchased its first wheel horse.  I was just a kid at the time, and this red machine gave me such a thrill.  You feed it gas and oil, it makes lots of noise, and you get to control it.  When it breaks you learn to fix it.  You learn to read a repair manual.  You learn to read a parts diagram.  You get to go to the repair shop and purchase some parts that you are going to get to install.  You learn what tool is the right tool for the job.  

I can remember putting together a list of parts, and having to wait until Saturday when dad would be home to take me to the parts shop.  All of these experiences have led me to a life of loving machinery.  I think that if I didn't have that wheel horse when I was a kid, I wouldn't be able to do half of the things that I can do with my hands today.  I have never been without a wheel horse in the last 42 years, and highly recommend getting your grandson his first tractor.  I would make it a priority to teach him about safety around the machine.  Wear safety glasses when cutting grass, and wear ear protection when running the machine.  I think that the constant ringing in my ears is probably from all of the seat time I have had on the tractor without wearing hearing protection.  I wear it all the time now, but when I was young I never did, and no one told me to.

I wish you lots of luck, and I think that you will find this web site a great resource for you and your grandson.

Rick    

• Like 2

rtf

I appreciate all the advice you guys are giving me. I intend to teach him to respect machinery and show him how to maintain and repair it. Slammer302, what year and model is your lawn ranger? I like the tractor style seat and fenders.

Don1977

In the picture above you see a kid sitting on a Lawn Ranger, Shoes are required safety equipment too when operating a tractor.

slammer302

Its a early 60s lawn ranger it was missing the tags I would say 34r or 33r

Jake Kuhn

:WRS:  I think a suburban or rj is a great start. Rangers are also great as most have electric start. My first tractor was a 401 which I got when I had just turned 10. I drove that thing every day and loved it...I tore it apart a couple months later and restored it. I spent a couple years on it and got it back together and it turned out really nice. While it was apart I ended up with another suburban to drive around and enjoy...here we are 4 years later and I have 20 tractors and my dad has 25. It won't take long to get him addicted. lol

56flatbed

Hey RTF, welcome to RS.  Your grandson is going to love a wheelhorse.  My 8 year old grandson has been using my C141 hydro since I bought it 2012,  I think some where along the way, I must have given it to him.  He says it is his tractor.  The best part is being with him.

Wally

cruisnblue48

Welcome to RedSquare, Rick. I think any model you choose from the 1960's would suit your grandson. They are easy to maintain and most parts are readily available, even though they are 50 year old tractors. I am sure you will enjoy any one you choose. Good luck in your search.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

rtf, a warm wellcome aboard. Everyone is great, helpfull and plenty of wheel horse knowledge.

Glenn

JC 1965

Hello Rick and  :WRS:

C-101plowerpower

first of  :WRS:

watch out with the horses though, before you know you'll have two, then three, and so on. they are adictive :)

Koen

rtf

What a great forum! I really appreciate all of the replies, have never run into a friendlier group. I decided to search for a Suburban,but will consider a Lawn Ranger if a good buy comes along. Can't wait to get started and work with you guys. Thanks again, Rick

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Place a "wanted" ad here in the  :rs: classifieds...

never know, the tractor you want just might find you.    :handgestures-fingerscrossed: 

Edited by AMC RULES

Row Cropper

Great topic and great fun with the kids!  For all you Lawn Ranger owners and future owners, I have a dozer/snow blade in great shape listed for sale in the classifieds.  We all know how much fun pushing snow can be and kids would love this "toy"!

Kennedy

I cant help with what would be good for you as I am new to Wheel Horses, but Welcome to Redsquare.

Mark