Sign in to follow this  
Brian1045

Brian1045's 1045 restoration

kpinnc

It certainly looks nice Brian! :banghead:

Kevin

bell

My valvestems were on the inside, but we know how bastardized mine is... lol

LOOKS GREAT! :banghead: I've gotta get down there and see it!

oldandred

Valve stims are suppose to be on the inside to keep them away from lims rocks sticks or what ever will hit them But most of mine are on the out side for easy acc, just try to fight ten lawn rangers with the stims on the inside along with all the other tractors I have LOL

Brian1045

I started looking and on mine the stems have to be on the outside, along with the grease zerts.

The hub is offest and alot longer on one side than the other...So they only go on one way.

Brian1045

More Pics..The chassis and wheels are done! :horseplay:

ChassisandWheelsDone.jpg

saguaro

That looks real nice. What color and brand?

Brian1045

Well the White is 1995 GM White.

The Red is called Fleet Red.

Both of these are base coat/clear coat. On my next WH I'm going to try the Rustoleum. This stuff was $50 a quart. :banghead:

Kelly

looking very good, I looked at my rims today and was going to tell you they have to go on that way, but I see you already know that :banghead:

Brian1045
100_0709.jpg

bell

OH MAN! :USA:

That looks GOOD! :banghead:

I need to get busy on mine, I think I have all the parts I need now! :horseplay:

(the hydro in my 876 is getting weak and I cannot seem to fix the leaking control rod..... and I need the engine for my 633, so apart it comes!)

Stigian

Nice work sir, diggin the depth of the shine in the paint :banghead:

Brian1045

Thanks all....

I talked to Vinyl Guy...nice fella btw. I'm installing a combination of the 8xx series decals and since this tractor will never leave my family...

I'm having my fiance' paint the 1045 on the belt guard and then I'm going to clear over it. I don't really care that the tractor won't be "authentic". Just as long as it looks nice :banghead:

Terry is working on a 1045 belt guard decal, I sent him the specs on it. So by the time you are ready, I'm sure he will have a set for you other 1045'ers :horseplay:

jusjeepn

Brian, Looking great!!! Great paint debate question... again. What flavor you using? How you applying it? Hardner? Air pressure? I see no overspray in your shop. Hard to contain in enclosed area. You out side shootin or great ventilation? Just looking for tips. Once again, great job :banghead: !!! Pat

traktorkidd7/30/93

That looks AWESOME........... :banghead::USA:

:horseplay:

Cant wait to see it all done :omg:

kpinnc

Well, I certainly don't have to tell ya, BUT- That machine looks fantastic! :banghead:

Keep those pics coming!

Kevin

Brian1045

:banghead: for the replies!

First of all, I would recommend using a touch up gun at 30 PSI instead of using a larger quart size gun because you'll have a lot of waste on the skeletal areas and the smaller panels. I would use a larger gun on places like the hood and belt drive cover, etc...

All the paint/clear was Nason brand (cheap Dupont). At the paint shop he had an industrial paint book and he said the Wheel Horse red crossed over to a color called fleet line red (in other words, fire truck red) and the white was 1995 GM white.

We rotary sanded everything at 180 grit and then stepped down to 400 grit. We then primered everything and then wet sanded at 400 grit, then 800 grit. We painted everything with a base coat red- the base coat was mixed 2:1- paint/reducer. Then clear coated everything (2 coats). The clear coat was mixed 4:1- clear coat/clear coat reducer. I did have some clear coat overspray, so I wet sanded those areas with 1200- then clear coated again.

Word to the wise... tighten down all of your screws before you clear coat or the clear will crack. Another option would be to replace the screws with new ones during assembly and then touch those up with red and cover w/ clear nail polish.

We did paint outside, but I wet the driveway down to reduce dust, and we didn't really have a lot of bugs due to our dry Indiana weather.

Later on I need to use rubbing compound and wax to get rid of the rest of the overspray.

The 1045 decal that goes on the drive belt cover is not available, so my artsy fiance is painting it on by hand- then we'll spray clear coat over it and the rest of the decals.

The red is very RED and the white is very WHITE for some peoples taste, but I'm never getting rid of it, so it doesn't matter... :USA:

More pics to come.

Brian1045

Brian1045

My fiance' wanted a hand in this project...So since the "1045" decal is hard to come by at the moment, I trusted her steady hand. :USA::banghead:

This is the first coat of White, one more will do it. Then the whole panel will be ready for clear :horseplay:

100_0752.jpg

Vinylguy

Very nice Brian. great job on the 1045 BTW

Can not wait to see the finished pictures.

Brian1045

I finally got the drive belt cover done. I had some issues with the clear wanting to blend strangely, at first it caused a fish eye effect. I had to take everything back down to the metal and start over :banghead::USA: It actually caused the paint to wrinkle. :omg: It may have been too cold that day :thumbs:

All is good now :lol: I still need to compound a little of the overspray on a few areas of the tractor, but no biggy.

1045paneldone.jpg

Duff

WOW! Looking GREAT, Brian! :banghead:

Duff :USA:

saguaro

Looks sharp :banghead: I'll let you know how the Rustoleum works. I bought the professional rattlecan paint. :USA:

KyBlue

Brian thats looking great!

Brian1045

I'm still going at it! :banghead:

I took a break from the WH for a bit and worked on an ole bottom plow my neighbor had given me. It was in really rough shape and after sandblasting, it really showed some pitting. But I still like it. As you can tell I converted it to fit a Wheel Horse...of course.

Also the hood, which I was really scared to tackle, turned out pretty well. I'm happy and having a blast. :banana: :banana: :banana:

100_0811.jpg

100_0810.jpg

100_0812.jpg

Stigian

Looking good Brian :banghead:

It wont be long now until it's finished by the looks of it, you can then have fun with the plow and get all fresh paint dirty :USA:

bell

Looks GREAT Brian!!! :banghead:

Waiting on the engine is gonna seem like an eternity.... :USA: