Sign in to follow this  
Brian1045

Brian1045's 1045 restoration

Brian1045

I put $200 down on the motor today. I'm going to spread it out some so it doesn't seem like I'm blowing all my $$ at once. :banghead: ...lol.

saguaro

MAN! That hood look's like glass. :banghead: Your goona wonder if your at the wheel of a tractor or a vette :USA:

linen beige

MAN! That hood look's like glass. :banghead: Your goona wonder if your at the wheel of a tractor or a vette :USA:

First time he bumps something and the hood doesn't shatter, he'll know it's not a 'vette.

KyBlue

Yeah but he might still burst into tears if something bumps the hood with that nice paint job... I would!

Butch

Actually the blaster was a home-made jobby.

A ceramic tipped sand blasting gun attached to a air compressor, thats about it. The Aluminum oxide sand was the trick. It won't break down like silica sand. It's well worth it. Be careful....Sand blasting gets addictive. What can I do next? :horseplay:

Thanks for the comments.

Link to sand used below

http://www.mcgillswarehouse.com/ItemsList....N=ALUMINUMOXIDE

Brian did you use this media in a blast cabinet or out in the open? My sand

blaster I use outside and none of the sand is salvageable. I tried using

sand in the garage by laying down plastic but it was a disaster. I had sand everywhere. I also have a cabinet with the different medias. But my sand blaster

with sand blasting sand takes the paint and rust off better than my cabinet blaster.

I was trying to figure out if you were using that $45 a bag media out in the open

or in a cabinet.

Butch

Brian1045

We blasted them in a cabinet. It was a homemade jobby. The sand filtered down through a steel grate into a 5 gallon bucket. Then I sifted the sand back into the original bucket. It was aluminum oxide but I'm not sure on the grit.

This link resembles the proccess but our cabinet was sealed with a door and plexiglass window, chest high on rollers.

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24448

Good luck!

Butch

We blasted them in a cabinet. It was a homemade jobby. The sand filtered down through a steel grate into a 5 gallon bucket. Then I sifted the sand back into the original bucket. It was aluminum oxide but I'm not sure on the grit.

This link resembles the proccess but our cabinet was sealed with a door and plexiglass window, chest high on rollers.

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24448

Good luck!

Thanks Brian. I just wanted to make sure that you were not using a sand blaster out in the open and somehow recaptured the media. I have a small Clarke blast cabinet with 4 different types of media. I've been using a regular sand blaster outside because it seems to work faster for me and I have a problem seeing with the dust build up in the cabinet. I need to come up with a way to cut down on the dust so I can see.

Butch

saguaro

Very clever cabinet. Thanks for sharing. :banghead:

HorseFixer

Nice job Brian, what brand of paint did you use?

Thanks Duke

Brian1045

Thanks all... :omg:

I used Nason brand base/clear.

fleet line red and 1995 gm white.

I'm having issues with the hood. I'm just not happy with the results. The hood should be the show piece of the tractor. I think I'm mostly just being to picky. I'm sure you all know what I mean. The further you get into something the better job you expect of yourself.

Note to clear coat users: Watch getting the clear to thick around the square hood style latches. The slit in the hood doesn't leave a lot of room for the latch to slide .....without chipping something you don't want chipped... :banghead: :USA:

HorseFixer

Brian she is a clean MACHINE nice job pal! :banghead:

Duke

Brian1045

100_0840.jpg

100_0842.jpg

100_0844.jpg

Well it's getting there! :banana: I still need a frickin steering wheel!! :hide::D I know as soon as I find one I'm going to pay big for it. I may have to sell a kid or 2. :hide:

Terry's decals will be here next week and the pan seat red/white cushion will be here as well. I'm including a pic of what Terry has rigged up for the 1045's front and side decals. Awesome stuff!! :omg:

1045FRONTHOODDECALCHROMEBACKGROUND.jpg

1045HOODDIECUTCUSTOMDECAL.jpg

jusjeepn

Brian, That sure is looking great, but it needs one thing....!!!!! A new home, and I have just the home for it :hide::D

Seriously, Looks great. P/M me about the wheel!

Butch

Brian the wheels look good also. Did you mount the tires yourself and did you

damage the paint at all mounting them?

KyBlue

Impressive f or sure!! Id be proud to do that kinda work.

Stigian

It's always good to see a Wheel Horse out-shining something green :D:hide:

Nice work Brian :hide:

Brian1045

It's always good to see a Wheel Horse out-shining something green

:hide::D ...Thanks for the comments!

Brian1045

Brian the wheels look good also. Did you mount the tires yourself and did you

damage the paint at all mounting them?

I had the tires all mounted and new tubes (for peace of mind) installed at a local automotive garage.

I've known the guy there for years and asked him to be VERY careful during the re-mount.

There were a couple small chips along the edges when I got them back. I just took a fine artists brush and touched them up. You can dab a little clear nail polish or actual clear coat the next day to seal what you touched up. :hide:

Michael Bullington

nice looking job brian :hide:

fretscha

That is what i will start in the next days. I hope i will have as much success as you. That is really a great job you have done.

tasmi01

:hide: Brian that looks great

Brian1045

Thanks guys...Just waiting on decals from TD and my seat cover. I may order a dash decal soon as well. Those things are sharp! :banana:

Brian1045

Ok..I can't take any more of this weather. I won't wait any longer. The next couple days it's suppose to get up near 50. :banana:

The Tractor is moreless done except for the tin on the motor. I'm taking all of it over to a nice heated garage to finish it up. I've had a couple months break from the resto, :thumbs::whistle: but it's like an addiction...vacations over!

I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Brian1045

Ok...All done but the motor. I'm picking it up next week and hopefully I can remember how to wire it back. :whistle::dunno::thumbs:

I'm still thinking of using the lil red WH caps instead of the mtd white ones on the front wheels. What would you all do? :whistle:

Hitch.jpg

newdash.jpg

WH2-1.jpg

WH3.jpg

WH1-1.jpg

wildman

:thumbs: You have done one heck of a job on that old horse. Have you ever thought about becoming a VETERINARIAN ? - Bill