mtd49

Trans. Flush

mtd49

I have the 1988 520H with type A trans fluid. I would sure like to change to 10W30 motor oil. I understand the problems of cross contamination. Would this have to be torn down and cleaned? Hate to ask this but pressure flush? Would something like that be possible?

varosd

more folks will chime in but you could just change fluid a couple times as it's almost impossible to get all of the ATF or oil out of all the hydro lines, lift cylinder during a routine filter and fluid change anyways.

can whlvr

why change the type of fluid,my eaton 1100 has tranny fluid and it works great,especially when cold

• Like 1

Trouty56

why change the type of fluid,my eaton 1100 has tranny fluid and it works great,especially when cold

I agree with this....

shorts

If you're going to change to the new spec trans fluid/10w30 oil drain the system, change the filter or at least take off and drain it and reinstall for the first change, refill the system start and run the trans and cycle the hydraulic lift system several times until warm, then drain and refill the system 3 more times using a new filter each time after the first time.  These hydrostatic transmissions are all hydraulic with no clutch packs that will harmed by a small amount of another oil and addative contamination. the biggest enemy is dirt and enough heat to break down the lubricity of the oil

• Like 1

mtd49

Thanks. I guess the ATF isn't the end of the world, and the tractor has been going strong since 1988, unless it had work in the past. It may not be all that bad. Any plus sides to having ATF?