mbarb54

Asphalt driveways and tire chains

mbarb54

I have a good sized driveway that is made of asphalt. It is in pretty bad condition and I've considered having it ripped up and a new one laid. Its way past the point of simply sealing. I held off this past summer because I figured that my Wheel Horse tire chains would damage the new driveway.as I cleared snow throughout the winter.

I seem to recall reading about some type of "gripper" that could be installed on wheels that provided grip but didn't do the damage a typical steel chain does.  I'm wondering what other experiences people have with tire chains and asphalt. I'd like to replace my driveway but I don't want to spend $7,000+ and then nick it all up with tire chains. Then again, maybe I can't have my cake and eat it too.

Edited by mbarb54

KC9KAS

RUBBER TIRE CHAINS What are they? Do your tire chains tear up or scratch your driveway?

Our ASTA rubber tire chains will help you gain the traction you need without scratching your driveway or walkway.

Link: http://www.rubbertirechains.com/

• Like 2

AMC RULES

For the same reason, I've been looking at them too.

Anyone currently using these rubber versions...

good performers are they?    :scratchead:

Lane Ranger

These are from two years ago but I use rubber chains on my B-80 and 42 inch snowplow setup.  They work great!

post-339-0-43926700-1388855287_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-53357000-1388855426_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

varosd

I like my rubber tire chains a lot.  especially since I got them off CL for $15!!

photo6-1.jpg

• Like 4

Trouty56

Isn't there some kind of sock or something used in Europe???

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:eusa-doh:      :silence:  

:text-nocomment:

mbarb54

Thanks for the information on rubber tire chains. It looks like that might be the solution to replacing my driveway and still using the Wheel Horse to clear the snow. Meanwhile, I'll ride out this winter on the chains.

Anyone have any issues with the snow thrower and/or blade nicking the pavement? I mostly use the snow thrower attachment.