Kevbo

Oil Dipstick mystery for K301S?

Kevbo

Hi everyone my K301S does not have a dipstick and I got one off of eBay and an unsure if it is right...I put the dipstick in and it does not touch oil and I know I put 2 quarts in a couple weeks ago and have been running without a problem. Is this the right dipstick? post-9001-138879741797_thumb.jpgpost-9001-138879743526_thumb.jpgpost-9001-138879745347_thumb.jpgpost-9001-138879747294_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anglo Traction

Hi Kevin, I'm a little concerned that the Model, Spec numbers etc on the Engine Tins are not for the Engine you have. 

The Kohler Manual shows a long Dipstick and Tube that attaches to the side of the Crankcase. I have 2 Engines of that same Model and Spec and have this type of Dipstick.

That does not help you, so what we need to do is I.D. that Engine to get the correct Stick part number/length. There are about 3 different lengths for the Screw in type you have.

Hopefully someone familiar with your Engine spec will chime in.

TT

The service K-321 on my Charger has a short dipstick like that. It inserts through the flange between the sump bolts.

sh3.png

Unfortunately, not all blocks have that hole.

I have a few older engines with the long screw in stick, but it's too cold & dark to go measure one now. :hide:

Anglo Traction

Just wondering if that engine has Balance Gears in the way of a Long Dipstick ?. Which may be why it only has a blanking Plug there.

So most likely to have the Stubby one like initially TT said :confusion-shrug: .  

TT

Just wondering if that engine has Balance Gears in the way of a Long Dipstick ?. Which may be why it only has a blanking Plug there.

So most likely to have the Stubby one like initially TT said :confusion-shrug: .  

Now that you mention it, I think I can actually see a DCB gear in the lower right picture.

If so, there has to be another spot on the block for a dipstick, or it will need the special cam cover with an integral dipstick.

eBay example - but not sure about proper level indication with the big sump: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171211557029

Lars

My K 241 has the oil stick on the same place as this K 301..

i can look at that and see how long it is..

Lars

Edited by Knusern

Kevbo

Thanks guys! I'll let you know what we do using your suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevbo

The service K-321 on my Charger has a short dipstick like that. It inserts through the flange between the sump bolts.

sh3.png

Unfortunately, not all blocks have that hole.

I have a few older engines with the long screw in stick, but it's too cold & dark to go measure one now. :hide:

FOUND IT!! It was hidden near the muffler...I feel quite stupid lol thanks for the support everyone!

• Like 1