decksetter

How wide is your snow blade?

decksetter

I'm pondering fabbing up a wider blade for my 520H. How wide a blade do you all use to push snow?

I got 2 42" bare plow blades at the swap meet this fall but I'm sure I don't want to make it 7ft wide...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Wishin4a416

Mine is 48 and I wish it were a bit wider. 54'' would be just right for my drives.

can whlvr

I run a 48 ,but I made an extension kit that I made from scrap,it was ok(about 5 feet total)gret for cleaning up but we do get large falls up here and it cant do it,so I took it off,54 inch would probally be perfect all around size

KC9KAS

I widened a 42" plow to a 54" plow for the GT-14. Works great!

gwest_ca

In 1974-75 the standard blade for the C-Series was a 42" blade. They also had an optional 56" blade model 6-1151 that fit the same A-frame for the C-160.

Garry

shallowwatersailor

I believe that the blade for the D-Series was 54" as well.

TT

Forum member "jusjeepn" built a 60 incher a few years ago:

I only have a 48" blade on my GT-1848. At full-angle while turning it's not quite enough to keep the rear tire out of the snow.

I've been meaning to widen it for years.   :eusa-whistle: 

zieg72

I made a 48" into a 64" wide.  It was from a trashed 42" that was bowed bad in the center that Randy "Operator" gave me.  Here is a YouTube video of it.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybthObWKSuw

ThreeHorses

I use a 54" wide blade for snow, 42" for sand and gravel.

I also have a 48" blade but the extra width of the 54" works better for snow.

The 54" clears a path wide enough when angled to clear the tires.

I got cast weights on the wheels and a weight rack that slips in the heavy hitch, can add up to 240 lbs. on the back with it.

dmoore

42"

20140102_175040_zps1642e4e2.jpg

decksetter

I made a 48" into a 64" wide. It was from a trashed 42" that was bowed bad in the center that Randy "Operator" gave me. Here is a YouTube video of it.

Niiiiice! What model tractor is that on? I'm wondering if I'd be happy with about a 60" setup or if it would be to big for deeper stuff.

I've been thinking about making a v blade with moving wings so I could invert it. Move a lot more snow in 1 pass that way, so I'm thinking 60" may be a bit much.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

dtallon

I just got my first snow plowing under my belt with the 42" on my C-120 and when angled, wished it was a little wider.  It's just barely wider than the tractor.  I run a 54" on my JD 140 and it works good on the driveway, but at 48" fully angled it grabs an edge pretty easy on a 4' sidewalk if the front end slides at all.  I'd like to try a 48" and see if it is a happy medium.  

Dave 

.5racer

you could put this on a ford ranger

DSC00409.jpg

• Like 2

JC 1965

I use a 48 inch to push snow. It does a great job but could be a little wider to make a wider path for the wheels when I back up.    :hide:

tmix

60" works great !! I put 65# of weight hanging on the front and 200# the rear. I plow up hill witch sucks. I put the weight in the front because with the plow full of snow front wheels are a little lite and steering is lite at best not no more. And yes i have chain around front tires.witch works great thanks to the guys here. Thought that was a dumb idea  but works great  :banana-rainbow: