Ryanflathead45

Ignition Switch Needed for a GT-14

Ryanflathead45

Hello All,

The ignition switch on the GT-14 was sticking the last time I used it.  It did not want to move to the off position.  So I sprayed some WD-40 in it, it helped a little bit.  Now it will not go to the "start" position and the key feels like it will snap off.

So long story short I want to replace the switch.  The switch has 5 connectors on it.  Where can I get a replacement switch?  Can I just get a switch with 5 connectors from TSC or something...

Any help would be great.  More snow is on the way and I need to get her going to plow snow.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

gwest_ca

What is the model number of your tractor? I don't know if all the GT-14's used the same switch or ignition system or not. Don't want to see you chase down the wrong switch.

Garry

Ryanflathead45

I'm not sure what the model number is.  Where would the model number be located?  Sorry for the newbe question.

gregg'shorses

Can you read the markings that label the connectors on the back. There are 2 main types of 5 prong switches for battery and magneto ignition. You could change around the female connectors to match up with old switch.

Ryanflathead45

I don't have the switch all the way out yet.  I got a switch at the auto parts the has the same connectors as a used GT-14 switch that I seen on ebay.  I'm heading to the garage right now,  I'll report back later.

gwest_ca

I'm not sure what the model number is.  Where would the model number be located?  Sorry for the newbe question.

Will guess the ID plate is on the flat panel below the dash housing and up tight to it. You almost have to get down and look up to see it. Should have the model number and serial number on it.

Garry

Ryanflathead45

I did not see the post about the ID tag location before I came in from the garage for the night.

But what I did discover is the old switch has an "M" connector which I have read is for a mag type ignition.  The new switch I bought does not have the "M" connector, but has an "I" connector.  Looks like I got the wrong type, so back to the parts store tomorrow.

I seen switches at the store with the "M" connector, but the also had a "G" connector which I assume is a ground.  Would that connector just be hooked to a chassis ground on the tractor? 

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Sounds like your switch has 4 key positions as with the 8362 switch. Here is a bulletin when they started to use it.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/268-wh61-90-102-ignition-switch-1968-10hp-12hp-modelspdf/

Not all switches have their terminals in the same location so be careful. The important detail is to not allow any battery voltage into the ignition wire that goes to the M terminal. It simply grounds the ignition wire to shut the engine off. The extra ground terminal on the switch is to make sure that happens as some tractors have the switch mounted in a plastic dash. Yes a ground wire to the chassis is what is required.

The 8362 is still available from Toro but expensive.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/

Garry

Ryanflathead45

Wow after seeing the price of that switch and not being able to find anything close local I decided to clean and oil the old switch and make it work a little longer...

By looking on ebay for a switch I seen a wheel horse part # 103991 switch that seems like it might work.  It has all the terminals that the 8362 switch has plus a ground. 

The 103991 switch is about 1/3 the cost of the 8362 switch. 

What is the difference in these switches?  Will the 103991 switch work on my GT-14?

Here is a picture of the 103991 switch that shows the terminals that is has.

BQUCUQWkKGrHgoH-D4EjlLle-etBJ4Oni75Q_12_

Anglo Traction

As Garry has said, it is important that the letters stamped on the Contact Blades or backplate are not taken as accurate.

The position of the Contact Blades is important. Here is an image from Service Bulletin #134 which also describes the service connection and position of each Blade.

post-3520-0-18658300-1388950673_thumb.pn

Check this out with your switch first.

As your not certain what your Tractor Model is, The Ignition Switch must be correctly I.D'd before replacing it with an identical one (not my words, the Bulletin states this).

There is another 4 position Switch that could have been used, but the 8362 would need to be ruled out first. 

Regards

Edited by Anglo Traction

dodgemike

On a mag switch definitely do not

Allow current to back feed on the

Ground wire. Don't ask me how I

Know this!:ph34r:

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

gwest_ca

Wow after seeing the price of that switch and not being able to find anything close local I decided to clean and oil the old switch and make it work a little longer...

By looking on ebay for a switch I seen a wheel horse part # 103991 switch that seems like it might work.  It has all the terminals that the 8362 switch has plus a ground. 

The 103991 switch is about 1/3 the cost of the 8362 switch. 

What is the difference in these switches?  Will the 103991 switch work on my GT-14?

Here is a picture of the 103991 switch that shows the terminals that is has.

BQUCUQWkKGrHgoH-D4EjlLle-etBJ4Oni75Q_12_

I don't know why it would not work. The difference is the 103991 has 3 key positions where the 8362 has 4 positions. You can also get a switch connector to hold all the terminals in their correct locations with about a foot of wire on each terminal for the 103991 switch. Just splice it in and plug in the switch.

See if this link works to the harness

https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewproduct.asp?i=205&p=1326

Garry

SCOOBY 312-h

part number 8362 switch i can sell ya for 45+tax+shipping, if that helps. now if you do want that switch make sure its the right one the boss here doesnt like returns on eletrical items. the 103991 switch has a different plug doesnt it?