wh79d160

Snow Blower on Gravel

wh79d160

1st of all, Happy New Year!!! I've been watchin all the cool blower videos you've been posting. I've noticed some of them are used on gravel drives. I always assumed these could only be used on concrete/ blacktop as rocks could get caught in the auger breakin shear pins or causing dmg to the blower. How many of you use your blowers on gravel ? Are there any tricks or things that need to be set up differently? I'm always lookin for a reason to buy more WH attachments. Thanks

sorekiwi

I haven't used my blower the last 2 years (not enough snow at one time), but I used it a lot 3 years ago.  My driveway is gravel.

I set it high, I lower the blower onto a 2x4 (laying on its side) at each end of the scraper blade and then lower the skids till they touch the ground at that height.  It doesn't throw rocks unless I inadvertently drive it into one of the banks where I have pushed the snow while plowing.

I also ran over a "Yellow Pages" once, it went through the blower just fine - didn't break anything and the display was quite impressive!

• Like 5

squonk

Rubber wheels on mine!  :thumbs:

stevasaurus

It's cool to set up Aluminum cans on the snow bank and try to knock them off.  :)  Not good for Aluminum siding though. :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Racinbob

I had about 800' of railroad stone driveway up north. I just used the lift to hold the blower up a bit. It hurt traction some but I had quite a bit of weight on the back. It's always a good idea to keep the chute pointed away from stuff but it's imperative when blowing on a stone driveway. A stone can travel much further than the blowing snow and a patio door is no match for one. Please don't ask me how I know. I think the wife has forgotten about that night. :helmet:

• Like 2

Kelly

I use mine on gravel, I have the newer style with skids I set them low, it still picks up stones, I can throw snow 30' stones about 60' watch where you point it, never had a issue on breaking anything but stones do beat the blower up. But like Mike said I don't use it much any more we havn't gotten the snow.

js5020

I usually just use a blower on real deep snows and we havent had any since I bought it,, but like everyone above I have my skids set all the way down.  Stones will go through the blower but are hard on it, rocks (bigger than stones) can do damage to the auger when they get wedged.  I use to use a Gravely walkbehind and totally destroyed an impeller (made of 1/4 steel) once picking up a rock in an area that I shouldnt have been in with a blower.

• Like 1

Shynon

I have a gravel driveway. I set the skids at high  as they go for the first couple of snows. Then when I have a hardpack from cars on the drive I set it about a 1/2"  then everything is good. No rocks here.

Tom

• Like 1

608KEB

I made a set of metal skis and welded them on a worn out pair of skid shoes. The skis are 1 1/2" wide by 13" long. I heated the tips and rolled the front up about 2". I set the scrapper about 1/2" above the ground. It worked really well! I caught a couple rocks, but nothing close to when I just had the skid shoes. I also noticed increase traction, because the gravel wasn't coming loose. It worked really smooth. I use a 1975 C-120 auto at the farm.

squonk

I usually just use a blower on real deep snows and we havent had any since I bought it,, but like everyone above I have my skids set all the way down.  Stones will go through the blower but are hard on it, rocks (bigger than stones) can do damage to the auger when they get wedged.  I use to use a Gravely walkbehind and totally destroyed an impeller (made of 1/4 steel) once picking up a rock in an area that I shouldnt have been in with a blower.

A good old Sno-Cannon!  :) Was it one of those open auger "Dog Eaters"? They would throw snow over power lines!  :thumbs:

js5020

A good old Sno-Cannon!  :) Was it one of those open auger "Dog Eaters"? They would throw snow over power lines!  :thumbs:

Yes it was an open reel "dog eater", beast of a thing even tried to eat the bumper off a ford festiva once when I got to close,, I still have it and the Gravely but it has gone to be the backup now that I have the 16 auto, blade and blower.

squonk

It would have torn up that Festiva!

js5020

It would have torn up that Festiva!

LOL thank god for slip clutches!  Only ripped the end off it.

cheesegrader

Mine gets used like mad on a very long gravel drive

The gravel--rotten granite--doesn't do a thing to the blower.

The bits of broken branches hidden in the snow, falling off the overhanging trees when they ice up, now those things are like missiles!

I joke that I can hit my neighbors roof with snow.

I am not joking about hitting his fish-cleaning shack with a branch the size of a hammer handle from over 100 feet!

Forest Road

I use a piece of 3/4" plywood to set skid height. Never really had a problem digging stuff up. The driveway is about 1000' so it's certainly a tried and true practice.

I've done this with my single and dual stage blowers. Regardless of any precautions you will throw rocks. Don't point towards any windows. I've seen 3" rocks fly our of my dual stage.

roscoemi

The po of my short chute had a gravel drive and ran with the wheels all the way up, chewed up the auger and the center of the tunnel. Some new bearings and hammer work fixed it, will launch a newspaper 100' on the fly with paper guts everywhere!   :woohoo: 

56flatbed

I used it last year on my gravel, chewed a few rocks, jammed one large rock in a blade and broke the chain.  PO removed the guard over the chain sometime in the past, so it is not as forgiving as it is with the guard.  Had 4" new gravel laid on the driveway this past summer.  Not quite set in enough for the snowblower.  Threw the chain, bent the side where the top sprocket bolts in.  Reinforced it, fixed it, the engine let the connecting rod go.  Enough for this year!  Working on another tractor to cover those problems.

Wally

dbartlett1958

I use my single stage on 150' of gravel drive.  No issues at all, but I keep it pointed away from people and the house. It will throw rocks like a champion.

It is also great for cleaning up after the dogs. I must have fertilizer 100' into the woods all around my place.

• Like 1

WH nut

I always drive and pack the first couple snows so the gravel has a nice layer of hard pack over it before I even thing about bringing the blower out.

Ed Kennell

I just turn the chute down so the stones don't get thrown too far into the lawn...saves some raking the spring.  Don't forget to wear hearing protection..the rocks do make a racket coming thru the chute. :tools-hammerdrill:

Chevydave

I have been running the blower on my 416-8 on a gravel driveway for years.

Just keep it set above the gravel, you have to leave a little snow but it's probably the same amount as when you plow.

I still pick up rocks a little, you just have to be careful on the low spots.

I have never had any problems, spray it down with silicone before you start and it will go through anything.

I only have one tractor so the blower takes care of everything.

scifi4all

I used to use the my old short chute blower on two gravel driveways. I would put the wheels down all the way and still catch some stones. Always kept my hand on the lift arm, in case I would hit a ridge of stone. I would have to go over the auger and body every year to straighten everything out.

I have since gotten a tall chute. The two driveways have been well packed and I hardly throw a few stones. But I went to a buddies today and he has enormous stones. He is on a 24 hour shift, road crew. His driveway is really loose and i bent up the center of the auger somethin' terrible.

So you need to be carefully using it on some stone driveways and never aim high when near the house or cars!