flipb18b1

idle with choke on?

flipb18b1

I recently rebuilt the carb on my c165. If I crank the engine few times with the choke on it will sputter, then if I turn it off and crank the engine will start. My question is should I be able to run the engine with the choke on? If so how should I adjust the carb?

Martin

did you adjust the low and high speed needles as per the manual? you should only need the choke to richen the mixture just enough to start. of course if the ambient temp is cold out then it will need choke for a little longer until it will run without. you shouldn't have to use the choke at all to keep it running for any length of time though. if that is the case, its a sign of not rich enough mixture, either from a incorrect adjustment or blockage in the carb.

• Like 3

Wheel-N-It

Martin is correct. Adjust per spec. You should only have to use the choke on a cold start. After that the choke should not be needed. When warm the engine should start with the throttle in the idle position. If you have to crack the throttle open a bit to get the engine started that means the idle circuit is too lean. Richen the idle screw 1/8th turn at a time till the engine starts as it should. If you get the idle screw out of adjustment it will not affect the carb any above idle. So don't worry about getting the whole fuel system out of adjustment because of the idle mixture.

ARK

Visually inspect the choke plate for full closing while the choke handle is pulled out, then for full open when choke off.