calibear2003

Kohler M14 Shroud Removal

calibear2003

Hello Guys,

My magnum 14 on the 314-8 suddenly decided to stop running. It started and ran perfectly on a Saturday and the following day Sunday.....nada, nothing not even a spark. I guess that it was a tell tail while turning it over I seen 6...counting 6 tiny grey field mice squeeze out from behind the shroud. I guess that it is time to evict the residents. Gosh, I have not had any time to preform this process with a work schedule from hell and a new born in the house any free time is spent hold a sleeping baby or sleeping daddy....need I say both haha. Anyways back to my question, I have not really looked yet, but how many bolts should I expect to find before I am able to slide the shroud cover off? Once the cover is off, will it be enough to simply blow everything out with the air compressor? I guess at this point, I could turn it over to determine if I now have spark that I did not have before due to the mice. Input as to WHAT to do and or look for next prior to putting it back together. I am so far behind, I still need to attach the plow before the snow.....

Thank you guys.........post-5094-0-60922100-1388419437_thumb.jp

rick

Welcome to world of rodent fighters!  I have had the same thing happen to me. The shroud is not hard to get off, the worst part is the choke/throttle linkage attached to the front of the shroud. The easiest way for me is to loosen the screw that holds the choke and throttle control clamp so you can slide the cables from under the  clamp. Unhook the cables from the respective levers and lay to the side. Unscrew the two bolts that hold the linkage levers to the shroud (one of them holds the shroud on). The bolt that goes through the  two control levers is longer, and has a jam nut to set the tension on the lever/spacer stack. It is well recommended to take plenty of pics for reassembly. I am not inferring that your memory is bad, like mine, but only that the pictorial record is nice to have if mama mouse runs out and up your trousers leg.

The ignition module is under the shroud, and mice have a penchant for eating wires. I have seen both the primary and secondary wires eaten by mice. Both wires are reparable, maybe. There is a thread in the electrical section describing the replacement of the secondary (spark plug) wire.

Nice looking 314-8, by the way. I have 1997 314-8 and enjoy it.

can whlvr

this may sound silly but make sure you get all the nesting out,as it will block air flow and over heat the engine

qd-16

Be careful!   The little 1/4 inch bolts that hold the shroud on snap off very easily!!  I busted 3 of them (rusted) when I had mine off.

JackC

Timely topic.  Is it the same procedure to get to the starter?   I need to remove the starter on my 1996 314H Magnum to clean and rebuild it.  It works but just does not sound right.

TT

Timely topic.  Is it the same procedure to get to the starter?   I need to remove the starter on my 1996 314H Magnum to clean and rebuild it.  It works but just does not sound right.

The Magnum starter is held to the bearing plate by the long bolts on the opposite end.

Link to service manual: http://www.asberry.net/files/TP-2203-A.pdf

Section 10A, page 4

You have to remove the dipstick tube (three screws threaded into engine block at bottom casting) and removal of the drive belt cover is extremely helpful but not a necessity - depending on your patience and the contents of your toolbox.

The blower housing does not need to be removed from the engine.

• Like 1

JackC

TT, thanks for the info and manual.

calibear2003

I can not believe what mice are willing to eat. All of my wiring was completely gone with just nubs remaining. I was not expecting what I found and had to resort to a rather handy man special to get it up and running today. We have a pending snow storm passing thru northern Ohio tomorrow. I ended up splicing a computer power 14g cable and wrapping the ends with electrical tape. Its not my ideal fix, but 20 degrees in the garage with mucho snow tomorrow. Its good enough for now....

varosd

Meow!!!  time for a cat!    Our first cat was a big old tomcat that was unfixed....we named him Mr Holmes......... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Sounds like that tom had a voracious appetite Don.    :handgestures-salute:

calibear2003

post-5094-0-55060400-1389302460_thumb.jpThis is what I found AND my desperate handy many fix with limited time. I am amazed what was eaten. I had roughly 3-4 inches of my wire eaten....EATEN completely. I got it up and running for the Sunday and Monday snow storm. Oh, I only lost ONE shroud bolt lol......

• Like 1

varosd

almost looks like a potted plant

can whlvr

maybe a good thing that it didn't run,you could have blown up the engine with no air flow