steve k

kohler fuel pump

steve k

Are the fuel pumps on an 8, 10 and 12 HP kohler all the same?  

And is a diaphragm kit available?   Instead of buying the whole pump I would just like to stock a kit.

Steve 

rmaynard

10 and 12 are the same. What engine do you have?

steve k

I dont remember the model no. Maynard but I have an 8 10 and 12

I think the 8 is a k181

the 10 a k241

the 12 a k301 

I think!!

rmaynard

Okay. Let's start with the 8HP. The K181 could have either a vacuum operated, or lever operated pump. I think the K181-30108, which is common to many model Wheel Horses, originally came with the lever type, but I have found some with the vacuum style. The vacuum type pump found on many older ones, uses a diaphragm that is available from one of our members here, buckrancher. Give him a PM and he will send you one for a very good price. The lever type is more of a problem. There is a kit available from this company: http://www.maritimedragracing.com/antique_auto_parts_cellar.htm

I have not had any success with their K181 kits, although others have. The screw holes in their diaphragms are not punched in the right places and they don't fit correctly. They may have corrected the issue since I bought two of them last year.

The K241 and K301 pumps are the same, and kits are available from the same place. I have had success with them.

However, having said that, it is important to remember that the kits are only going to be as good as the pump you are putting them in. In other words, if the inside of the pump is corroded or otherwise in bad shape, a new kit is not going to work.

If you are not concerned about keep your engine true to the original design, my money is on a new plastic replacement pump, which if you shop smartly, you can get for just a little more than a rebuild kit.

Good luck!

• Like 1

rick

Maynard gives good advice. I went over the top with my fuel pump repair and replaced them with the Facet solid state electronic pumps like David Kirk sells. The first one I bought from NAPA, and the second from Kirk Engines, Inc.The pumps are regulated for the requirements of our small engines.No more waiting for the fuel pump to pull fuel all the way from the tank to fill the carburetor. I did not remove the old pumps, the fuel seems to get through them easily enough. The pumps like to be mounted vertically, one of mine is horizontal and works okay, but I am going to rework it this winter.

TT

I did not remove the old pumps, the fuel seems to get through them easily enough.

If that's an implication that you're pumping through the original pump with the electric pump, bypass it immediately.

The last thing you want is a ruptured pump diaphragm allowing fuel into the crankcase.

• Like 4

armyvetwh

there is a posting in the forums about a rebuild kit for certain pumps.

Edited by armyvetwh

armyvetwh

there are 3 models of the mechanical pumps(lever actuated). 1 plastic body and 2 metal body's,1 metal body has a B on it. there is a posting in the forums about them, and where you can get the rebuild kit for it. which article it is i can not remember of the top of my head. according to the manual, only the metal body with the B can be rebuilt. hope this helps somewhat. i also have the 8 hp engine, and according to the manual, it is the same pump as is used on the 10 and 12 hp engines. sorry about the above posting. my cat was trying to help me on it

Edited by armyvetwh

steve k

Thanks for the info guys!   I have all lever operated fuel pumps which all work and don't leak.  I am a mechanic for a living and know the value of having the parts you need on the shelf .  Usually a pump or such will crap out right when you need to use the tractor.

I'll see what I can come up with.

Steve

rick

Thanks for the heads up, TT. All is good now but who knows what is coming down the road!

01Jan2014- both pumps bypassed.

Edited by rick