buckhornbob

Springs, Idlers - oh what fun

buckhornbob

Hi folks

I just got my "new-to-me" tractor back from the shop and have been working at installing the snowblower - it is a 44†Two Stage thrower for my 522xi.

I bought this unit used and some parts appear to be used more than others but I think I have most of it figured out.

I am now attempting to install the tension spring and as shown on Page 9 Figure 16 of the manual.

I have two springs as most of the peripheries came in a box - one is larger than the other and may be from the mower deck.

My question - does the spring attached in a small indent on the arm of the idler puller.  I have done this but it appears the spring will be ribbibg on the PTO belt.

Will try to get a photo tomorrow (no lights in the shop yet) but would appreciate any insights.

Bob

Rick_in_CT

Hi Bob,

I have attached some photos of the spring, both loose and installed.  The correct spring is about 7" in total length, and about 1" over the coils.  From the pictures, you can see that the spring does not interfere with the belt.  I can't get a good picture of the end that is attached to the lever arm, but between the pictures and the page from the parts manual that I have attached, hopefully it will help.  If you need some other pictures let me know.

Rick

post-8836-0-45829200-1387845838_thumb.jp

post-8836-0-67650400-1387845839_thumb.jp

post-8836-0-23008300-1387845840_thumb.jp

post-8836-0-83661700-1387845840_thumb.jp

post-8836-0-00039400-1387845843_thumb.jp

Parts Page.pdf

Edited by Rick_in_CT

buckhornbob

Hi Rick

It sure is great to have the voices of experience on this site.

Thank you so much for your photos which are very helpfull.  Now, with a few clevis pins and a couple of large washers I could be blowing snow tomorrow.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Bob

Rick_in_CT

Merry Christmas Bob,

Yeah, its the old a picture is worth a thousand words.  Hope you get to blow some snow real soon.  I have added a motivational picture for you here.  This is from a blizzard last winter.  I have just made it to the street with the blower, after clearing 550 feet of driveway, and are about to punch through.  The snow was so deep I would first blow it with the blower in the raised position, then back-up and hit it again with it lowered.  The one thing you will find out is that if you have a lot of snow to blow, you will go through quite a lot of gas.  Just before this storm hit I got concerned if I had enough gas on hand, and I ran out and purchased a 5 gallon gas can to go with the three 2 1/2 gallon cans that I had filled.  Clearing the drive I went through all the 2 1/2 gallon cans, and just started on the 5 gallon.  If you want to play, you have to pay!!  Always run the blower at full throttle.   

Enjoy the day.

Rick

post-8836-0-58696100-1387970136_thumb.jp

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor

Rick,

What is what looks like white PVC pipe on the rear for?

John

Rick_in_CT

Hi John,

Attached is a picture of the back of the tractor, you get a better view of the piece of pvc pipe near the bottom of the cab.  That is there in case the blower chute becomes clogged with wet snow.  I push the pipe down into the chute, some of the snow goes inside the pipe, pull it out, shake out the snow and repeat.  The pvc is pretty harmless to the metal of the chute.  If the snow is so wet that it is going to clog the chute, my glove would get soaked cleaning it out, so this is the solution that I came up with.  Luckily I don't need it too often, but it is nice to have out with me when I need it.

Rick

post-8836-0-00567900-1388009319_thumb.jp

• Like 4

shallowwatersailor

Nice solution to packed snow. I am surprised at the amount of fuel that your 5xi used! I need to rethink the amount of fuel that I keep on hand during the winter.

Ed Kennell

Awesome pics.  That cab looks warm...  see the snow melting off.  Great tip on the PVC unclogger :text-goodpost:

buckhornbob

Hi Rick

Thanks again.  I have been banging my knuckles and I am getting close but, with the pulley unit mounted, I am having a difficult time getting the spring attached.

I can't tell from your picture (the one with the tape measure) if the hooks on your spring are at right angles to each other as mine are.  The shadows of the hooks on your spring seem to indicate are at right angles

Am I missing something, or do I need to somehow twist the spring to install it.

Bob

Rick_in_CT

Bob,

I took a look at the spare spring that I have, and I can get enough rotation within the spring coils to make the hooks at right angles, or in-line with each other.  For this application, they are in-line. 

I was able to get a picture of the spring hook around the post that is at the top of the pulley arm.  I have also taken a couple of pictures of the spring tensioner arm in the released position, and one with it in the tension position.

I released the tension from the spring, and tried to remove the spring and I was not able to.  There just was not enough room to get my hand in there and pull the spring forward to get it off the post.  I think you really need to drop the blower frame from the tractor and back the tractor out enough to expose the pulley carrier, and then muscle the spring into place.  Once it is on bring the tractor back over the frame/carrier and hook it back up, connect the drive belt, then pull the belt tensioner handle towards the blower, and guide the tensioner arm into the slot in the side of the blower frame.  Once you have this spring connected, there is not a need to remove it normally unless you are taking the pulley carriage apart. 

Hope this gets you there.

post-8836-0-40156800-1388079159_thumb.jp

post-8836-0-08551600-1388079160_thumb.jp

post-8836-0-71052900-1388079160_thumb.jp

post-8836-0-61368400-1388079257_thumb.jp

buckhornbob

Success . . . to a point!

I got everything running and actually blew a bit of snow (finally).

Then halfway back up my lane the belt on the snowblower blew apart.

It looks quite chewed up but it is too dark now to check all the pullys etc for nicks etc.

I am preferring to think that it was well past its "best before" date as the previous owner had never used the blower and the original owner may not have used it for a while as his main concern was the front end loader.

Off the the belt shop tomorrow - probably will get a back-up belt as well.

Bob

Edited by buckhornbob

buckhornbob

Another update and another hurdle

Got back from the belt shop and went about installing the new belt only to discover it is too #%*! short.

The belt guys used the old belt as their template and, as I have used them successfully many times in the past and they always seem to be less than 50% of dealer pricing, I took their recommendation.  I even bought a second belt for back-up. 

Thankfully, when I was leaving, the owner said that old belt was pretty beat up so if these don't fit properly, don't run the machine and bring the belts back - we'll fix you up.

I saw something on another site which stated the belt for my blower is 104.35 inches long and 21/32 inches wide.  The belts I bought are labeled B97 and appear to be 99 to 100 inches long and 21/32 wide.

I believe I need B 101 which is 104 inches long as stated at http://crossbelts.com/conventional/bvbeltsizes.html

Another trip to the belt shop in store for Monday.

Anyone have any advice, recommendations, cross reference information, etc. that will help me be certain I am getting the right belt for my blower. 

Any comments on aftermarket vs original equipment belts appreciated as well.

A side note - I am getting more and more proficient and installing and uninstalling the snowblower :laughing-rofl:

Bob

Edited by buckhornbob

GlenPettit

Wheel Horse had special belts made (by Gates Belt), they were heavier duty "Agricultural Belts", type 'H', and they used a slightly different side angle or bevel than regular belts do.   

They cost about 10-20% more than regular belts, but seem to give a much much longer life, often 2-3 times.  If the belt is running at a high speed, for long periods & under stress, I would recommend definitely going with Wheel Horse/TORO belts only.  

Usually belts seem to stretch in use.

In the WH book I have, ("Drive Belt & Blade Usage Charts", #492-0392, Nov '00),  could not find a 104.35" belt listed; but it is very common for WH belts to be in fractional inches.   Post your blower model; (ie. a '98 44" 2x Blower #79366 took #100-4164 Belt)

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 1

buckhornbob

Thanks Glenn

The manual that came with this blower says Model No. 79366 – 8900501 & Up

if that is any help.

On the price point, the local dealer wants about $75 per OEM belt while my belt folks want $31 for the aftermarket one.

Bob

Edited by buckhornbob

GlenPettit

WOW,  you're right.  On eBay they want $88 for it.

Rick_in_CT

Bob,

I measured my spare belt, part number 100-4164 (good guess Glen). Measuring the outside diameter I get 104 3/4". The 104.35" that you found on the belt site may be the pitch diameter of the belt, which may equate to an outside diameter of 104 3/4 or something very close to that. If the belt shop has something close to 104 3/4 measured on the outside, go for it.

Rick

buckhornbob

Hi Rick and Glen

Do you think it would be better to go a little longer or a little shorter?  I am fairly sure they have 104 but don't know about 104 3/4.

Thanks again for your accumulated wisdom.

Bob

Edited by buckhornbob

Digger 66

For future reference on installing or removing difficult springs :

A rawhide shoelace with a loop at the end can save many a busted knuckle .

Rick_in_CT

Bob,

I see where you found the 104.35 length, this may be correct vs. the 104 3/4 that I measured. I think that my spare belt has been on the tractor before, so it may have some stretch in it. I don't see where any of the aftermarket suppliers for lawn and garden equipment list a cross over for this belt. It may be to low of a demand to warrant anyone making it. I guess if I was going to try one of the two options you present, I would go with the B 101 belt at 104". Hopefully with the belt tensioner it will allow for the 3/8" less in length and you will get the belt installed. If I take into account that the belt will stretch over time, I think that I would start out a little short with the B101 rather than going long with the 105". You might ask if they have a Kevlar version of the belt (B101K)and see what it cost, and ask if they have an opinion at the belt shop if the Kevlar would help. This belt comes into contact with 6 pulleys and makes 4 twist. I am going to think that this is pretty stressful on the belt. I'm sure others must have tried this before, but all of my searches come up empty. Let us know how you make out, there is a substantial savings if it works. The real test will be how it performs after a good snowfall.

Anyone else have a thought on this?

Rick

buckhornbob

The Kevlar option is a good one.  I recall using one some years ago on another mower (different manufacturer).

It worked well and was still going strong after 3-4 years when I sold the mower.

Bob

GlenPettit

The Wheel Horse chart I'm looking at may be only listing the Drive and Mower Belt sizes; 

but here is the sizes it has listed:    (Note:  if & where the dash is, is very important in searching)

102.44"  --  #95-3879

103.00"  --  #94-2501

103.25"  --  #8699

105.50"  --  #102868

With your idler and tension spring, I think you could go easily with up to a 2" shorter belt to start,

I believe that all aftermarket belts will be in whole inch sizes, (then a 103" or 104" belt may work).

Most auto stores have a belt sizer that you should be able to use free to measure yours, I believe

belts are always measured on their inside.    Wheel Horse uses heavier Agricultural Belts.

And then, a $75 OEM belt over 4-5 years, that you know will work, isn't really that much per year.

Glen

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 1

buckhornbob

Got a 104" belt this morning and it is working just fine so far.  Blew snow for about two hours cleaning up the bits and pieces the plow guy left.

Finally getting some use from this unit and I think, with a little patience and practice, I may even be able to keep from sliding sideways when I get too close to the ditches. :laughing-rofl:

Happy New Year to all and thanks for your help.

Bob

• Like 2

Rick_in_CT

Bob,

Did you go with a standard belt, or Kevlar?  Please post an update at the end of the winter to let us know how the aftermarket belt held up.

Rick

buckhornbob

Hey Rick

They called it an industrial grade belt - did not have kevlar in the 104 size.

Bob