Hodge71

Kohler Carb Throttle Shaft Repair

Hodge71

Has anyone done this on a Kohler Carb. I have been working on the 18 Auto with my Dad. Rewelding the cast iron ear that broke off and exhaust manifold bolts to and I pulled the linkage off the carb. I noticed the throttle shaft wiggles up and down immensely and has to be leaking like a sieve…probably causing the horrible running of this engine. It moves in and out also. I was wondering if anyone had rebuilt the throttle shaft and if it is hard to do. I don't mind tearing into it if its something I can handle and is worth it. I don't want to spend 50 bucks on the kit and then end up buying a whole new carb because its too far gone. 

Ed Kennell

Jeff,

Have you read Brian Millers blog on carbs.  He sells a bronze bushing for $5  that inserts in the c'bore at the top of the throttle shaft . The bushing fits above the worn part of the shaft on the unworn area and tightens the clearance .   :unsure:  Ed

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

Jeff, I did a Thread on a full rebuild of a #26 a little while back. Hope it may help you  -

• Like 1

Hodge71

Jeff,

Have you read Brian Millers blog on carbs.  He sells a bronze bushing for $5  that inserts in the c'bore at the top of the throttle shaft . The bushing fits above the worn part of the shaft on the unworn area and tightens the clearance .   :unsure:  Ed

Thank you Ed. I know of Brian's site but haven't really been on it that much. His idea sounds much better than a $57 kit from Kohler plus shipping.

Jeff, I did a Thread on a full rebuild of a #26 a little while back. Hope it may help you  -

Thank you Richard. I will check that out. I'm sure it will be very informative.

Road-Track

I fixed both of my engines with bushings from someone on ebay. I little drilling and new brass screws and less than $15 for both 14 & 16hp Kohlers.

Great fix!

• Like 1