leeave96

Did a Little MOLDBOARD Plowing Today... :)

leeave96

Ground was a little damp, but had a good day of it. Used a 10 inch Brinley and for a few rows a 8 or 9 inch slot hitch plow. Here are some pics, more comments and maybe pics later. Also brought along my IH Cub Cadet 1650, but had some issues getting it to run under load. Plowing with the 520H with Matt's foot control kit was a pleasure.

post-6085-0-01187300-1387499664_thumb.jp

post-6085-0-95427000-1387499706_thumb.jp

post-6085-0-55003200-1387499772_thumb.jp

post-6085-0-65621000-1387499810_thumb.jp

Edited by leeave96
  • Like 7

AMC RULES

Ummm plowing?     :scratchead:  

So, ...where's the snow?   :occasion-santa:

Jake Kuhn

:text-coolphotos:

Wishin4a416

Nice! I thought you were referring to Snow also.

WH nut

The most fun you can have with your clothes on. :laughing-rofl:

• Like 2

Coadster32

Nice! I thought you were referring to Snow also.

X3

leeave96

:ychain:  :ychain:  :ychain:  :ychain:

I knew if I posted "plowing" everyone would figure this time of year they would see some snow in front of plow, not dirt behind one...  :laughing-rofl:   

I changed the title to include "MOLDBOARD"

I've been wanting to turn under this garden for a several months, but just couldn't get to it until yesterday.

I did probably 1/3rd of the garden with a Cub Cadet 1650, but had some rough running engine issues with it yesterday and parked it on the trailer.

I've got the 520H fitted with a slot hitch vs a clevis hitch and have a slot to clevis hitch adapter.  Yesterday I used two plows, a 10 inch Brinley and what I believe is a 8 or 9 inch slot hitch plow.  I need to measure it, but I think it is a 8 inch plow.  I only used the 8 inch plow a half dozen times before finishing with the 10 inch Brinley.

One thing before I forget.  The 520H with gear reduction steering, hydro lift and Matt's foot control kit is a DREAM to plow with.  What a pleasurable experience.  IHMO, this 520H is as modern as anything coming off the Deere factory today - and tough as nails.

Here is a pic of the size of the garden when finished.

post-6085-0-25261900-1387552860_thumb.jp

The whole area around the garden spot I am plowing use to be put in garden.  I've gardened the whole thing myself.  I've thought about plowing the whole thing again - sort of like a family plow day.  I would garden the spot I need and plant the rest in rye or some other beneficial crop that may benefit the wildlife.

Next up is to let this ground lay for several months as is, get the carb back together on my Troybilt Horse tiller, till it down, sow some rye and buckwheat, mow it off in late spring, moldboard plow again and make a garden for 2014.

BTW - for all the buzz about plowing with the IH Cub Cadets, I have to say the Wheelhorse did just great.  I saw no advantage by the 1650 vs the 520H this time around.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 5

WH nut

I use my 704 for plowing and love every minute of it. I would plow my whole yard just for the seat time :eusa-think:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Warms my heart to hear you trailered the Cub...

and used the :wh: instead.    :text-datsphatyo:  

:occasion-santa: Thanks for the early Christmas present. :handgestures-thumbsup: 

:text-merryxmas:   :text-happynewyear:

kaiser

nice soil, where in virginia are you. usually the soil is red red red in va.

leeave96

nice soil, where in virginia are you. usually the soil is red red red in va.

I am north of Roanoke and west of I-81.  Seems like the red clay happens to the south/east of me.

KC9KAS

Nice action shots.

I need a slot to clevis hitch now because I got a clevis hitch plow. Looking forward to using it sometime next year.

Thanks!

leeave96

A little update - something I did not know.  One of my Brethern on the IHCC forum pointed out that my plow is a 12 inch Brinley.  I know I measured it years ago and it was a 10 inch - but it's a 12 inch plow, then even more of a "pat on the back" to the Wheehorse for pulling it!

I thought the 12 inch moldboard Brinley plows were limited to those with 3 point hitch set-ups.  Learn something new every day - LOL.

squonk

I've got a 8" WH slot plow restored for show and I'm looking for another to plow. As of now I have a slot hitch on the 704 and 12 /8. I have a Clevis hitch on Martin and a 10" Crasftsman/Brinley.  But what I really want to plow with is my Power King. I have adapters to hook the brinley to the 3 pt.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Bill you're looking good plowing on that big 520!!!

I know you are tired of working on the 1650. You should let me keep it for you so you're no longer aggravated with it. Plus my 1650 will have a friend. The Wheel Horses don't want to play with my Cub Cadet. LOL :laughing-rofl:

squonk

The Wheel Horses don't want to play with my Cub Cadet. LOL :laughing-rofl:

That's funny you say that. My Horses love the PK. When they get in trouble they just yell "Hey Elvis, Get your big orange butt over here!" :)

• Like 1