Sign in to follow this  
kpinnc

Finished the differential swap on the Bronco

kpinnc

Finally finished it all up today. I had to have new keyways cut on one axle, and the ring groove on the other shaped up, but it's done! :P I no longer have limited slip, but I certainly won't bust an 8 pinion. For what I have planned on this machine, strength is more important!

Also had to replace a gear because the original was made for the offset on the original differential. It sure is alot more work to swap one of these in a hydro as opposed to an 8 speed!

Tranny works great, except ALL the hydraulic hoses leak. The one on the front of the lift cylinder SQUIRTS when you raise and lower it. Go figure... :(

I asked quite a few questions during the swap, and I appreciate you guys all helping me out. Thanks! :D

Now to add the 3 point. Got the lower arms, spare rear fender, and flat bar to fab parts.

I'll keep you all posted.

Kevin

T-Mo

Kevin,

So what do you have plan for this tractor? :D

Curmudgeon

Uh, never say you won't bust something.

Been there, done that, broke it anyway.

A quote, "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!"

Dale

kpinnc

Treed, I'm just planning to use it mainly as a garden tractor, but for the most part with drawn implements only. I have a CAT 0 dual gang disk set as what I'll use primarily with it, and I'm adding the 3 point hitch to the tractor now. I have most of the parts to do it already, and the rear setup is nearly finished.

I may worry more than I need to about using the 10 pinion diffs, but I definately don't want to risk them in a hydro tractor that uses the transaxle as a dual purpose fluid sump. I've seen what the inside of a gearcase looks like when those 10 pinions pop, and aside from destroying things, the metal fragments get into everything. The tractor has a K321 14 HP Kohler, and since I'll be "pulling" heavy implements, I'd rather use the 8 pinion. I wouldn't be comfortable doing much more than just mowing with a 14 HP and the 10 pinion. 8-10 HP? Maybe a little more... :D

And Dale, you're exactly right. I'm certain you can split an 8 pinion as well, but it's without a doubt the stronger of the two.

Kevin