Sign in to follow this  
kpinnc

Finished the differential swap on the Bronco

Finally finished it all up today. I had to have new keyways cut on one axle, and the ring groove on the other shaped up, but it's done! :P I no longer have limited slip, but I certainly won't bust an 8 pinion. For what I have planned on this machine, strength is more important!

Also had to replace a gear because the original was made for the offset on the original differential. It sure is alot more work to swap one of these in a hydro as opposed to an 8 speed!

Tranny works great, except ALL the hydraulic hoses leak. The one on the front of the lift cylinder SQUIRTS when you raise and lower it. Go figure... :(

I asked quite a few questions during the swap, and I appreciate you guys all helping me out. Thanks! :D

Now to add the 3 point. Got the lower arms, spare rear fender, and flat bar to fab parts.

I'll keep you all posted.

Kevin

Uh, never say you won't bust something.

Been there, done that, broke it anyway.

A quote, "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!"

Dale

Treed, I'm just planning to use it mainly as a garden tractor, but for the most part with drawn implements only. I have a CAT 0 dual gang disk set as what I'll use primarily with it, and I'm adding the 3 point hitch to the tractor now. I have most of the parts to do it already, and the rear setup is nearly finished.

I may worry more than I need to about using the 10 pinion diffs, but I definately don't want to risk them in a hydro tractor that uses the transaxle as a dual purpose fluid sump. I've seen what the inside of a gearcase looks like when those 10 pinions pop, and aside from destroying things, the metal fragments get into everything. The tractor has a K321 14 HP Kohler, and since I'll be "pulling" heavy implements, I'd rather use the 8 pinion. I wouldn't be comfortable doing much more than just mowing with a 14 HP and the 10 pinion. 8-10 HP? Maybe a little more... :D

And Dale, you're exactly right. I'm certain you can split an 8 pinion as well, but it's without a doubt the stronger of the two.

Kevin