wheeledhorseman

Merry Christmas to both sides of the pond.

wheeledhorseman

Thought I'd post what I suppose would be termed an 'e-card'

post-4509-0-81304000-1387412507_thumb.jp

Every year the local churches get together and produce a card which they deliver to every home listing all the services held over Christmas. In the past this has been a cheaply poduced affair but this year they excelled with a proper card with typical photo of Romsey town center which I thought I'd share.

The roads leading from the square are all lit with strings of colored bulbs which I've always thought are best since I was a child - part of the magic of Christmas. This year Test Valley Borough Council (of which Romsey is part) said sorry but no money for lights and Romsey Town Council responded with *** you, we'll find it from somewhere and the lights are good as ever.

Anyone else got photos of their town at Christmas?

Merry Christmas and have a good one from Andy

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Neat card and story...

who is silhouetted in front of the Christmas tree Andy?   

wheeledhorseman

It's Lord Palmerston, Prime Minister during Queen Victoria's reign Craig. He was born and lived in Romsey. BTW he usually ends up with a bucket on his head as part of the New Year's Eve revelry in town

filename-img-0416-jpg.jpg

(photo: tripadvisor.co.uk)

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Awesome history lesson Andy, and your beautiful picts complete the story...

Thank you Andy.    :text-merryxmas:

nylyon

Andy.  Here in NY, I live in the town of Southeast and contained within is the Village of Brewster.  The town doesn't do much in the form of Christmas decorating, but the Village does something.  I pulled a couple of pictures off the internet, but they are bad examples.

post-5-0-19284500-1387458643.jpeg

post-5-0-85989600-1387458643.jpg

If I find more I'll post it.

neil

Not particularly good pics from my phones camera but i was on my way to the bank today in the town of Bridgwater Somerset UK & the same day every year all the local students get dressed up in allsorts of differnt costumes & makeup & go and get absolutely drunk and then fall around the town  vomiting in the gutter & getting arrested for drunk behaviour.

The costumes are very colourful & very inventive . The drinking will go on all day & into the evening .

The Christmas lights are turned on at around 4pm an the whole high streret is lit up .

Te town Christmas tree is actually in the shopping mall .

Tha statue is of Sir Admiral Blake

post-2119-0-47007800-1387461195_thumb.jppost-2119-0-56076700-1387461157_thumb.jppost-2119-0-62574100-1387461391_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Stormin

That duck wants to be careful. It could end up getting stuffed. :eusa-whistle:

neil

The duck belonged to a guy that was collecting funds  for charity , the duck  has tinsle around its neck & would just go up to people & wander into the shops

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Is that a maypole(very ornate)in Andy's two picts...if so, what is it's significance?   :scratchead:

Wonder...does everytown square have one?   :confusion-shrug:

rexman72

amen to christ

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Thought I might share a few shots of Chicago at Christmas with you guys across the pond...

BarlowGirl_KeysChicago_IceSkating.jpg

f99e3d22b38df76f1d34ba123ee057dc.jpg

2-downtown-chicago-at-christmas-emanuel-

chicago-christmas-2-wtmk3.jpg

chicago_art_institute_lions_christmas_5_

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

wheeledhorseman

Is that a maypole(very ornate)in Andy's two picts...if so, what is it's significance?   :scratchead:

Wonder...does everytown square have one?   :confusion-shrug:

First, thanks to those who've responded - still time for a few more but I realise it's a busy time for most.

Craig, I like your thinking but no, its not a maypole. Originally it was a plain old metal pole 'thingy' used to support the strings of lites for Christmas or strings of bunting put up in the summer for our carnival. For 2012 and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee it had additional ornate ironwork added with the crown on top. I doubt any other town has one quite like it.

post-4509-0-07501200-1387755244_thumb.jp

Sadly fewer and fewer places have traditional christmas lighting like Romsey as the strings of lites suspended above traffic and pedestrians might fall and hurt them leading to a claim (such is life today!) It is also highly labor intensive to put up and take down but thanks to a volunteer workforce it continues to happen year on year.

post-4509-0-12227200-1387755390_thumb.jp

Even guys from our Fire and Rescue Service turn out to help. Shops and businesses provide trees with lights usually on the walls above but the strings of lites (enough to cover all roads leading into the square) were originally a gift to the town by the producers of 'Inspector Wexford' in appreciation for allowing Romsey to become the fictional 'Kingsmarkham' for filming the episodes.

Anyway - Happy Christamas to all on RS.

nylyon

almost looks like this:

Dr-Who-christmas-2010.jpg

Stormin

A Merry Christmas to one and all. :party:

meadowfield

Late to the show, and the pics are last years... But here's a few of skipton

1609d6d13c5578b9346775871e15bc10_zpsebca

2235b0de9973b2c7e161d632be3188c9_zpsac99

And a few days later as the snow cleared in the valley, one of the farmers had popped down to tesco for supplies in this!

IMG01299-20111204-1055_zps3dd4e8bd-1.jpg

• Like 1