Lane Ranger

Wheel Horse Buddies in Europe!

Lane Ranger

I just wanted to say after being on here for a few years and seeing how the European buddies we have on Red Square have grown their participation, great contributions and innovative interaction on the website, we sure can learn a lot from you folks in the Wheel Horse department!    

I find myself "peeking" into the Europe forum more and more!  

A big thank you for all you do on Red Square.

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 9

AMC RULES

Agreed Lane, they definitely got it goin' on...across the pond.     :popcorn:  

• Like 5

neil

Lane, Many Thanks for your Interest in the Euro  section of Redsquare , Although quite small  in numbers compared to the US  , There are quite a few people that collect Wheelhorse Products in the UK & it is growing  slowly bigger  each year . Not all come on Redsquare , but those that do are real Enthusiasts & with all sorts of talents .

I myself,  is more into collecting rare wheel horse tractor to take to different shows around the UK as my mechanical skills & facilities are quite limited & i really enjoy the history part of this hobby.

Since joining redsquare   a few years ago i have made some really good friendships with different people both sides of the pond & one particular person that i have grown very close too is Michael Martino & family   whom i have regular contact with via email  & only last night i had a really enjoyable long conversation with Richard ( AngloTraction ) where we discussed many different topics ranging from Wheelhorses , old war stories, work families etc .

When i joined Redsquare , there were only two or three Euro members which was myself , Stigian , Anglo traction and i ask Karl to introduce a section for Euro members & it has now grown to  maybe 10 or 15 or even more  members from UK.

The talents that these guys have is truly inspirational & recently we have Mark Smith (Meadowfield) with his amazing skills & knowledge .

I really hope over the next few years that the Euro section of Redsquare  continues to grow & we  manage to get more members join us here at Redsquare .

Two years ago we  managed to arrange our first wheelhorse get together at a vintage machinery show which was a real success  , sadly that has folded this year due to a few problems with the the management team, so we are in the process of rearanging another venue so that we can continue to promote Wheel horse & Redsquare in the UK .

It is also wonderful that other members from other European countries that have also joined Redsquare & these people are also regularly active on the forum

We also have some younge guys that have come into the hobby which is really great to see . Ie Charlie smith

i am sure  the other guys will make an appearance & say there thank you`s

• Like 4

nylyon

I mentioned this to a number of people, one of my favorite parts of RedSquare is our international community.  The Euro section as it stands today is actually take 2 on the area.  The first attempt was in 2008, which was a complete failure.  After 6 months I removed it since mine was the only post in there.  I think that it was just too soon, without a large enough member base.  This second iteration however is awesome.  For us Americans, where else could you possible see a Wheel Horse in front of Stonehenge?  Sure, it's in the book now, but it was HERE first!

I look forward to more and more members joining and making the Euro section even larger!

• Like 6

pmackellow

I have been into Wheelhorses for about 5 years now, and have owned a Commando 7 (now sold), most of a Commando 800 (also moved on), a Commando 8 (still got it, it was recently restored by Chris Sutton), a Lawn Ranger L106 (bought restored from Chris Sutton a couple of years ago) and a Raider 10 (guess who that came from ?? :eusa-think: )

We did indeed have two successful Wheelhorse roundups in the South of England but as Neil says this won't be happening down here next year, however Mark (meadowfield) is organising a Northern gathering in June 2014 so the Commando 8 will be going 'oop North !!

This is a great forum and one I will continue to support, my interests lie in most things Horticultural but the little red tractors have a special place in my collection :)

Edited by pmackellow
  • Like 2

Charlie Smith

As Neil mentioned, I'm one of the young ones here in the euro section I think there is a few others, i love these little machines, I also collect other weird and wonderful things, I have a mowett mustang, that completely needs restoring as to be fairly honest there's not a lot of it left, it's a tad on the rusty side, I also have the 1963 Cubcadet I must say when I first brought the cub cadet I was playing way on it for a few hours, driving about the fields, then I parked it up and got the the raider 10 and my oh my, the wheel horse is heaven to drive in comparison so even though I have other tractors, deep down my love for wheel horses will always be there, (ONLY 9 MORE DAYS until I can read my copy of straight from the horses mouth wheel horse story final edition book, I sorted out all the purchasing but it was with Christmas money from the parents, so can't read it or even look at it until christmas, god it's killing me!!!

Anyway all I can say is a huge thank you to all those who help make this happen, if it wasn't for you, I would have never found this forum. I think it's a great lively place, I must say I try to get on here everyday, just to be nosey ;) see what you've all been up too

-Charlie

• Like 2

Stormin

I got my C125 purely by chance  and then found this site. Through it I've gained some knowledge  and a part restored C81. So a big thanks to the people who set the site up and also the Europe section. Hopefully meet some of the members over here next year.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 2

Anglo Traction

It's a very kind thing that Lane has stated in starting this thread, along with Craig and Karl's additions.  

Also that we were given a second chance of having a Euro Section on the Site and to try and make a 'Go of it'.

I think I can safely say that we (Euro Peeps) are all grateful and hope that many will utilize it and contribute regularly .

I was mainly on the WH.org site from 2008 initially, but didn't get my hands on the WH I had my eye on until Sept 2009. So I had a lot of time to research the whole WH history and Model lines etc for a year.

I was directed to this Forum by Members of the other one, and yes, I admit I 'Lurked' until 2010 :hide: , then my conscience would not let me keep gleaning info as a member for much longer without contributing.

Now we have a good many Euro Members, and I'm pleased to agree that there are also a lot of younger Members in UK and Euro Mainland under the age of 20 :thumbs2: .......  Always impressed how they interact on here....... we need 'em. 

It's good that we're able to interact with people virtually worldwide through a common interest in these Red GTs (and others) .

• Like 5

nylyon

You know, it would probably be beneficial to have a "Haulin' help" for the Euro section.  You guys don't have nearly the Wheel Horse resources which exist here AND shipping is really quite expensive.  It would probably be beneficial to setup a sort of warehouse to group things to be sent over seas.....   

• Like 4

meadowfield

Great thread, as the guys point out we are gaining in momentum albeit slowly. I've made some great friends and it's great that on my travels I can call in and see other addicts :)

The spirit behind the euro section is amazing too. I remember around 3 years ago when I was rebuilding my C-101 and I'd accidentally chopped up my pto control link..... Richard (anglotraction) just bunged one in the post and sent it down.,I've had similar support from Ian (stigian) and Neil. Neil has been kind enough on a few occasions to invite me to break up my journeys to Cornwall and stay overnight. Not sure why, but the chance to see Neil's awesome collection of horses and literature always tempts me :D

I sell a lot of decal sets, oddly over half my customers are not on the forum and have no interest in joining! It's shame, because some of the guys have done great jobs and the restorations and pictures could be enjoyed by the whole WH community!

Like Neil says too, we all log on 10 times a day to get our fix too. It's a great site!

Thanks

Mark

• Like 3

nylyon

Mark, do you know why they have no interest in joining?  I am curious as to what can be done to entice more UK members to join?

Coadster32

I like this section as well, and give you guys amazing credit for the fab you all seem to do over there. :beer:

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

I started putting my various links to Youtube, Flickr, Photobucket and Red Square on the back of my business card that has my address , email and telephone number.    I send this card out when I sell a gasket or oil seal for a Wheel Horse on Ebay.    I also give this card out a lot at shows and swap meets.     I think that helpgs bring along some of the younger folks interested in restoring, collecting or using a great tractor.

Hey Mark -you need a different color typeset on the http://www.wheel-horse.co.uk - home of the UK Wheel Horse register die .   It is hard to see the blue links on the green background!

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

Griff

Good idea of Karl's about the Haulin help. It could work like the old mail coaches, changing vehicles every so far across the country moving stuff from the airport / docks to the buyer.  I'm going near York tomorrow to pick a trailer up i bought off the bay and bringing it back empty, shame 'cos it'll take four horses.

:UK:

meadowfield

Mark, do you know why they have no interest in joining?  I am curious as to what can be done to entice more UK members to join?

I don't know Karl, I explain its a good place for spares and help, as well as we are a good bunch. However some folks just don't seem interested....

Charlie Smith

I don't know Karl, I explain its a good place for spares and help, as well as we are a good bunch. However some folks just don't seem interested....

This isn't going to apply for everyone out there, but I know of two people from the UK that have wheel horses, my grandad has two and my uncle has one, however the problem with those two is my grandad struggles to read and spell, and my uncle is so far out in the sticks he doesn't even have the internet, god knows he he copes these days! Everything seems to be online,

Other wise they have both said it seems a very interesting site from what I've told them about it,

• Like 2

meadowfield

I did try and fish your grandad into joining last year Charlie!

nylyon

If you run across anyone who would consider joining but has reservations because ........  please let me know the concerns, I am interested in growing the forum and consider all recommendations to encourage members to join.

• Like 1

neil

Maybe a Redsquare decal or fridge magnet  could be sold on Ebay to promote the site

• Like 3

meadowfield

I don't think its reservations because they don't trust us, us Brits are are funny breed... It took me a year to get my dad and brother to join. Even though they are still playing with wheel horses they have lost interest in the forum. They just don't seem interested....

pmackellow

I suppose forums are not necessarily everyones cup of tea, I personally think they are a great way to share information and let folk know what is going on.

All we can do is promote this forum in 2014 and see who joins up :)

I'll make sure that any WH relevant article I send to Tractor and Machinery magazine (which seems to be well read in the UK), promotes the forum whenever I can :)

Edited by pmackellow
  • Like 4

wheeledhorseman

It was Simon (Landsurveyor) who first tried to interest me in joining RS. At the time I'd all but completed my first go at restoring a WH (C-120 Auto) which I'd decided to do as something different from things I'd worked on in the past. The tractor was to be put into use and I had no thoughts of showing it and knew from my other interests that forums can become very time consuming. My reaction at the time was 'thanks but no thanks'. I had no plans at that stage to restore another WH or attend a show with one. Famous last words - I should have remembered I said the exact same thing re my first military jeep. In the end curiosity got the better of me and I was pleasantly surprised with what I found.  Of course RS is unlike any other community that I've come across and you feel welcome, no one is critical of what you have done or makes you feel small for asking dumb questions, in fact quite the reverse and you are soon thinking in terms of more horses.

Acquiring quite a few more horses and attachments since has led me to meeting a number of guys when picking up purchases. Some have fallen into the category of potential RS members and I have used the opportunity for a sales pitch but I usually detect the same reluctance that I had exhibited and for the same sorts of reasons. It would certainly be an idea to have a card or sticker with the logo and url to leave with them to increase the curiosity factor and possibly tip the scale later. Many times I have written the url on a scrap of paper but we all know I guess what happens to those.

Andy

• Like 4

Lane Ranger

One of the things I did after going to a show or two was to make up a business type card to hand out to fellow Wheel Horse folks.    It has my address and contact information on the Front.  On the back I have information on the various Wheel Horse posting sites I am on!

It is a quick and easy way to pass on the good word about Wheel Horse tractors!

post-339-0-70936600-1387749417_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-70850900-1387749479_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-goodpost:   I remember that meadowfield was the first to respond to my first posting on RedSquare, I was seeking Information and didn't realize :wh:  even made it to the other side of the pond. Since then I have enjoyed many postings by Euro members. The show postings have interesting euipment I had never seen and you got to love the 6X6 and Super Bendey :wh:  offerings and the step by step tutorials offered by the members. Quite frankly I don't consider them as a seperate group, we are all members with an interest in :wh: . 

• Like 4

meadowfield

Hey, I don't think most of us see ourselves as a separate group! There might be a few thousand miles of ocean, but the power of the inter web brings us bit closer...

Gotta love redsquare :)

• Like 5